1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Topys in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by needhelp, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Shoot, guess I need better timing. The Allen Edmonds website has them for $95, so it sounds like you pretty much got them as cheap as they come.

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Guys, even at $99 these will pay for themselves ten fold. How much are Topys? like $40? And they only last for a season or so on ONE pair of shoes. Being on style forum i'm sure you have more than one pair of shoes you'd like to protect from our garbage winter. If you treat your AE shoes right, they could last you 5-10 years (with recrafting). $350 for shoes $100 for SWIMS devide that cost over 5 years, thats $90 a year. I bet you'd pay more that that for a pair of ALDOs that would end up in the trash after 6 months...it's a no brainer. :foo:

3. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

My plan as of right now is still to pick up some Swims, although I may wait for a month or so to see if I can find them on sale anywhere. As you point out, they would provide much better weather protection than Topys alone, and can be used on multiple shoes. However, I'm now wondering if there is merit in getting both Swims and Topys.

To corroborate what osc said earlier in this thread, I talked to a SA at Harry Rosen on Monday and he also recommended going to Novelty to get Topys added to the bottom of Allen Edmonds shoes. His reasoning wasn't so much to protect from the weather, but more that it would significantly extend the life of the leather sole (regardless of the weather it was being worn in). Do you think that his view has merit? If the only downside of Topys is the loss of the leather sole sound, then it's something I would consider. The "clack clack" of the sole is nice, but not at the expensive of the longevity of the shoe.

On the other hand, a complete recrafting of an AE shoe (sole, heel, refinishing, etc) is $125. I believe this is up from $100 last year, and sadly for us Canadians, doesn't include shipping. But even so, it would still be cheaper than a new pair. Hmm...

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Yes, the salesman is correct that they will help against the direct wear of the sidewalk on the leather sole itself. Wet leather soles wear faster that dry ones. However, the topy wont help you when It comes to puddles and how your leather sole is going to wick up the salt water like a sponge.

I had a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots and I did nothing to protect them one winter. They got wet and soaked up the salty water of saidewalks and parking lots. Now they have 'salty' look to them and are hard as a rock when dry...

This is not to scare you or to drive my personal point home. I just wish I had known more about this (topys, swims etc) when I first got into quality footwear

5. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Thanks for your input bc. It sounds like both Topys and an overshoe (i.e. swims) may be the best way to go to maximize the durability/protection of the shoe.

Just out of curiosity, what size of Topys do you wear (and what is your shoe size)? When I was in The Bay the other day, I tried on a pair of "Large" topys (the SA said that my 10.5 feet would fall under "large"). However, they didn't seem to want to fit on the size 44 (i.e. US 10.5) loafers I had on at the time. Granted, they were bulky shoes with a wider toe, unlike my Park Avenues, but I still worry that straining to get them on could scuff the shoe. What's your experience with the sizes?

6. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Just to add my own comment on Novelty Shoe Repair, I picked up my AE Park Avenues from them today. I'm certainly no shoe expert, but by my untrained eye, it looks like they did an excellent job with the Topys. In fact, it looks like something that came straight from the factory. I guess the proof is in how long they last, but based on appearance alone, I give them full marks.

For the record, the price came to approximately $38, including tax.

One other aside; from what I've read on SF, the Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish (i.e. the stuff that comes in the tube with the foam applicator on the tip) is just rebranded Collonill Waterstop polish. Novelty carries the Collonill stuff for $10 a tube, compared to the AE stuff which goes for $16 a tube at Harry Rosen. If you are stocking up, it still may be cheaper to do a big order online, but if you're just looking to grab a tube to try it out, you can hit up Novelty.

7. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

A lot of great information. I am about to get my first pair of AE. Looks like I will be visiting the Bay for the Swims as well.

By the way, where do you guys get the AE in Toronto other than Harry Rosen and Rego?

8. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Hey zinc,

You can use the store locator tool on the Allen Edmonds website to locate "retail partners":

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...logId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1#details

You can enter your postal code in the zip code box, or you can "search by state" and enter Canada/Ontario.

There's several places in the GTA that carry them, although I suspect that the prices would be pretty much the same. There's always the possibility that a particular store is having a sale/promotion on the shoes, though. The other alternative is buying them online, although once you factor international shipping into it, it's probably just as cheap to buy them at Harry Rosen, etc. Your mileage may vary, though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Thanks Firefox for the information.

By the way, I just got an email from Rego that they are having the AE Rediscover America sales now if anyone is interested.

10. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I notice that the AE website also has a sale on right now. Looks like all of their shoes are between 15%-30% off. But if the discounts at Rego are comparable, may be able to save some once the shipping is worked in. I think I may pick up a brown pair of something.

11. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Last time I was at Rego (before this promotion), the sales associate told me that they will charge whatever the price is on the AE website plus tax. No shipping charge.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up zinc.

I went to Rego today and they said the same thing; they charge the same price as the website. I asked if this included the current discounted prices that are appearing on the AE website, and the SA said that they did. I actually went ahead and ordered a pair of Chili Delrays from them, as they didn't have any in stock in that colour. I couldn't remember the price on the website, but what they quoted me sounded like it could be right. However, when I got back to my office, I realized that the price they charged me was $35 more than what the website is showing.

I'm planning on giving them a call to ask what's up with that. Given that shipping from the AE website is only $40, I'm not really saving any money (or time, for that matter).

13. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

As much as I can appreciate and respect catering to local shops, you can source AE's for substantially less than retail if you do a bit of legwork... B&S here, EBay, online discounters and several other sources have these shoes for 25-60% less than retail. I built up a pretty decent stock of AE's over the last couple years, and my average price per pair was around $125, including shipping, to Toronto. Once you figure out your sizing in the various lasts, the rest is pretty easy. But hats off to supporting the local guy, I suppose!!

14. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I guess I'm just too lazy for the necessary legwork right now. :happy: But when it comes to my next pairs I think I'll definitely give eBay or the B&S forum a try. Considering that these are only my second pair of "real" dress shoes, I'm sure there will be many more opportunities in the future.

But getting back to the original post, I'm planning on getting these ones Topy'd at Novelty as well. If only I could find a cheaper pair of Swims... May just have to bite the bullet and pay full price at the Bay.

15. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Just to follow up on my post from yesterday, I went back to Rego today and pointed out that the Delrays are actually $36 cheaper on the website than what they charged me. They confirmed the price on the AE website, were very apologetic, and refunded me the difference. I think it was an honest error, and don't believe that the SA was out to get me. But still, a good idea to double check the price on the website if you're planning on taking advantage of any such offer.

16. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I am glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your shoes!!