• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topman

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...atalogId=17551

I've been browsing this website and liking a LOT of what I see.

I was just wondering some background information. Does the quality hold up well for it's price? I'm not looking for something to last my years just something that can survive more than a few washes.

I mean, I looked around and saw Peacoats (all the way down the size XXS), Slim Suits and Slacks (Size 34!!!), slim ties,
bounce2.gif

Is ordering and shipping reliable? For some reason the name Topman sounds really familiar to me but I can't remember why.

Mostly the reason why this is so appealing is because I'm skinny and asian so it's hard for me to find clothes that fit well (the best I can do is XS, which is a rarity, and boys L) and there is niether and H&M nor a Uniqlo nearby (Northwest sucks).

gqreader239

Reaction score
be sure to read what the piece is made out of. also, keep in mind the price is in pounds and gotta convert to dollars first to get a sense of pricing. im not really willing to pay $238 + shipping dollars for a half poly suit that isnt custom made to my measurements.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Topshop/Topman is the british alternative to H&M. Its been around for ages, long before H&M conquered the "high street version" market. Back in the late 80's/early 90's no one who considered themselves 'hip' would've been caught dead shopping there but it seems like it has become the height of cool to be seen with a topshop bag whilst browsing the higher end boutiques in old bond street. They 'upped' their image (and their designs) in the late 90's when H&M started mushrooming all over europe.
To answer your question
smile.gif
, I would expect the same level of quality that you're bound to get from H&M. They won't last a lifetime but would hold up for more than one season if you took care of it. Whether or not its worth the price is really quite relative to what you consider expensive or cheap.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not saving up, then dropping your hard-earned money in H&M/Uniqlo/Zara once you visit a big city (which I think everyone living in suburban areas should do at least once every year)? Makes much more economic sense to me.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
So I take it that their clothes are pretty fitted?
Thats pretty impossible to answer since both H&M and Topshop have several different lines within the store. Lets just say that the 'fashion' items would most probably be slimmer than the basic line. Why don't you pick the pieces you want then send them an email, either for measurements or a better description? Good luck!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Why not saving up, then dropping your hard-earned money in H&M/Uniqlo/Zara once you visit a big city (which I think everyone living in suburban areas should do at least once every year)? Makes much more economic sense to me.

Because Zara isn't as fitted as I'd like and the nearest H&M is in California, a good two states away, which to me, is an epic journey (no car, no job, too busy saving up my hard earned money for college and car).

When you live in an area where the most fashion forward and fitted stores are American Apparel and Urban Outfitters you really have to stretch to look for non-Urban clothes that are both fitted and affordable.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, Lel as i'm in the exact same situation in Florida. I try to mix some basics from AA and UO with no branding in with purchases online from the b&s thread and supermarket on sufu along with a few purchases from online webstores. If i had an H&M or a Topman nearby i'd probably try to mix some cheap, slim, fashionable pieces from them in with my other stuff too. Ordering from Topman probably isn't a terrible idea however, as Berlin said, the fits are going to be a bit all over the place and i'd probably discourage you from just buying a bunch of stuff at once online from there. Figuring out measurements would be key.

dgb

Reaction score
As Berlin said, Topman are on pretty much every high street here, and have been for years (alongside Topshop, the women's version). Whenever I go there there's normally a few things that look OK, but I very rarely buy - the quality of the normal lines isn't anything special, and a lot of their stuff is very "of the moment", I couldn't see myself wearing it more than a handful of times (the target market is generally quite young too, it would appear). The Topman Design line is nicer, and they do have the odd thing every now and again that seems pretty cool, but I much prefer Uniqlo, H&M and Zara for high street clothes.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lel,

there's a H&M opening up in seattle. in u-village by the UW in 2008!

i'm looking forward to it, seeing as how i am also asian and quite short/slim (5'7")

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
Lel,

there's a H&M opening up in seattle. in u-village by the UW in 2008!

i'm looking forward to it, seeing as how i am also asian and quite short/slim (5'7")

I'm looking forward to it, as my school of choice is UW in Seattle.

Of course I was just looking at the site and saw two things that I really liked.

1.) Leather Jacket

and

2.) Peacoat/Trench

And since they seem trendy and stylish, and also come in size XS, I'm thinking this might be a good of source as any to splurge on some nice outerwear that I normally can't find.

Note*: For quality issues, I am very low budget. My "nicest" article of clothing is probably a pair of SFAM khakis I got at Nordstrom's Rack, so it's like I have a $1000 to spare for a Burberry Trench.

Unless there are any alternatives, I'm looking to purchase my first stylish outerwear piece from here.

migo

Reaction score
I actually tried on that peacoat when I was in London last week...for your budget (and mine) it's not a bad deal. The cut is quite slim too...I should have bought it, coz i'm looking for a peacoat too...never know..i might just. If you beat me to it, post the shipping fees/final cost for me plz?

I'm 5'2" 100lbs...the xs was sliiiiightly large on me (at the shoulder and arms), didn't have an xxs in the store, but if u get measurements for that too, plz post!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are out of XS peacoats on the website =(

But they have XXS in stock.

I tried just going through the check out process just to see the total cost (adjusted for conversion, the Peacoat would run just slightly under $100, not bad IMO) but for some reason it REFUSED to accept my phone number so I could never get past the billing address stage.

dgb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
but for some reason it REFUSED to accept my phone number so I could never get past the billing address stage.
You need to enter just a number, with no characters (e.g. "." or "-") anywhere - we don't use these in the UK for phone numbers, I guess their website's set up to reject weird formats
wink.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know I sat there forever and tried every possible combination I could (characters, no characters, area code, no area code, etc).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads