• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them herehere

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

to cuff or not to cuff

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
I thought the authoritative source should be The Suit?
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Memphis
im a failry short man at 5'6" so I choose not the cuff pants in order to appear taller. Have you not read "Dressing the Man"?
smile.gif

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Sartorially, servant class may be more appropriate. After all, the Matre de of a 5-star French restaurant isn't exactly a low-class chap.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Sartorian
Sorry, I was referring to trousers on a black, fully canvassed suit. Mine don't have them, but it sounds like most suit trousers do?

Are you equating waiting tables with being low-class?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the purpose for cuffs was to add weight so that pants would drape properly and help keep the bottoms from flopping around so much while walking.

I cuff suit and most dress pants but not khakis or casual wear.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Dear Leslie R C, rest assured the majority of the contributors here are gentlemen (and some ladies, I suppose), but as you should be aware, this is the Internet, so there's no guarantee ... , of course.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by Leslierc
What kind of a response is that? I thought this was a gentleman's forum.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I thought that this was a gentleman's forum. How dare you?
cry.gif
cry.gif

4_6_103.gif

I have brought shame to my name and ruin to my house with such commentary. To save my family's honor I must:

12_1_214.gif

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Black 'pants' are usually part of a tuxedo, so they wouldn't be cuffed.

Any other time you'd wear black pants, cuffs are inadvisable, since crumbs might fall into them while you're wiping off the customer's table.

Again with the anti-black-suit stuff...
confused.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
He's saying black is for the help. But to be nice: since a black suit is for clubbing and whatnot, it's supposed to be sleak, so it shouldn't have cuffs.

Haven't you heard, black is the new black...

No one really notices a black suit anymore. I think maybe once upon a time it might have excited some shock here but not now. I have worn one, I originally got made for social events in the city, to more business situations in the last few months with otherwise standard accessories, and no one notices.

They wouldnt be my first choice but if you like a black suit, I doubt if anyone would find it out of line. Outside of obsessives, very few people care what anyone is wearing as long as it it is in the proper general color "range", unless it is beautifully done and then they just stare at you longingly...

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ck-suit-part-1

And I like cuffs on trousers. I even self cuff my jeans.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the rule of thumb was: if pleats cuff if flat front no cuffs..

But with my suits i always cuff.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Is it more common to cuff or uncuff black pants, or is this another matter of personal preferance?

black pants are evil !!!!!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
'Nobody' notices if you wear a long tie and a coat with notch lapels to the Academy Awards either. And anybody with enough taste to notice would likely have enough tact to remain discreet about it.

OK, nobody of consequence notices you're wearing a black suit.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads