Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

to cuff or not to cuff

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dapperdude, Feb 24, 2007.

1. DShareef

DShareef Senior member

Any other time you'd wear black pants, cuffs are inadvisable, since crumbs might fall into them while you're wiping off the customer's table.
    [​IMG]

2. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

Black 'pants' are usually part of a tuxedo, so they wouldn't be cuffed.

Any other time you'd wear black pants, cuffs are inadvisable, since crumbs might fall into them while you're wiping off the customer's table.

Sorry, I was referring to trousers on a black, fully canvassed suit. Mine don't have them, but it sounds like most suit trousers do?

Are you equating waiting tables with being low-class?

3. Jared

Jared Senior member

Sorry, I was referring to trousers on a black, fully canvassed suit. Mine don't have them, but it sounds like most suit trousers do? Are you equating waiting tables with being low-class?
    He's saying black is for the help. But to be nice: since a black suit is for clubbing and whatnot, it's supposed to be sleak, so it shouldn't have cuffs.

4. PuppetBoy

PuppetBoy Well-Known Member

I cuff my wool trousers, but not my chinos. I just picked up my first pair of pants venturing to a 1.75" cuff, but haven't worn them yet.

5. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

He's saying black is for the help. But to be nice: since a black suit is for clubbing and whatnot, it's supposed to be sleak, so it shouldn't have cuffs.

Ok. Got it. Thanks for elaborating. Just learning.

6. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

your problem, not mine.

What kind of a response is that? I thought this was a gentleman's forum.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

What kind of a response is that? I thought this was a gentleman's forum.

What exactly makes people think this is a gentleman's forum?

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

always cuffed unless they are formalwear. anybody who tells you something different is wrong.
    +1, with chinos and jeans the only exceptions

9. spectre

spectre Senior member

always cuffed unless they are formalwear. anybody who tells you something different is wrong.

So, equally, according to your preference, anybody who tells you either pleats or flat fronts are correct is also just dead wrong??

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

So, equally, according to your preference, anybody who tells you either pleats or flat fronts are correct is also just dead wrong??
    does what you wrote even make sense? Pleats or flat fronts are both fine. IMO, uncuffed trousers are not.

11. spectre

spectre Senior member

does what you wrote even make sense?

Pleats or flat fronts are both fine. IMO, uncuffed trousers are not.

Let me try to clarify it for you. "IMO" is the key isn't it? It's all just preference. How can you say cuffs are always correct, except on a dinner suit. Because you prefer cuffs you say uncuffed trousers are always wrong. Surely the same logic applies to someone who prefers pleats claiming flat-fronts are wrong. Pleats, flat-fronts, cuffs, no-cuffs are all simply styles you either like or do not like. None is simply wrong.

12. Carey

Carey Senior member

Consider the cut of the trouser. I don't cuff most of my E. Zegna wool trousers, because the legs are more narrow than those of my Samuelsohn trousers. I consider color, too. So, my charcoal grey Zegna's are cuffed.

No hard or fast rules for cuffs, except never on a tuxedo.

I used to wear only longrise pleated trousers until I realized a regular rise flat front was more slimming. No more cuffs on Khakis either. Bill's corduroys - cuffed. Go figure, it is about the look you are trying to achieve.

To each his own.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Let me try to clarify it for you. "IMO" is the key isn't it? It's all just preference. How can you say cuffs are always correct, except on a dinner suit. Because you prefer cuffs you say uncuffed trousers are always wrong. Surely the same logic applies to someone who prefers pleats claiming flat-fronts are wrong. Pleats, flat-fronts, cuffs, no-cuffs are all simply styles you either like or do not like. None is simply wrong.
    No. My view may be myopic, but I believe that all pants other than jeans and formalwear need to be cuffed.

14. spectre

spectre Senior member

No. My view may be myopic, but I believe that all pants other than jeans and formalwear need to be cuffed.

Okay. We're all entitled to our beliefs. I do think a slim trouser looks better uncuffed. That said, most of my suit pants have cuffs. In future bespoke suits I'm leaning towards a (moderately) slimmer style overall - pants with a single forward pleat and uncuffed. Through the 60s and 70s I wore pants uncuffed, from then until now they have been cuffed. Suppose I'm just edging back to the 60s again which I've always loved. It's symptomatic of my increasingly minimalistic wardrobe approach. Cleaner lines, solid colours, fewer details etc. Fewer clothes infact.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I only cuff shorts.