• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties: Pointed End vs. Square End

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
This is my first post here at SF, so please forgive me if there is already another topic on this. I searched, but alas, was unable to find anything helpful.

My question is, what is the difference between a tie with a pointed end and a tie with a square end? When should/shouldn't one be worn, which is more formal, do they have actual names, etc. Any information you can provide, I would greatly appreciate!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just don't wear square end ties. Problem solved.
bigstar[1].gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only knit ties should come with square-ends. They are fine but indeed less formal than woven silk ties.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
"My question is, what is the difference between a tie with a pointed end and a tie with a square end?" One has a pointed end and the other a square one.
I should have known someone would reply with this nugget... touche
fight[1].gif

tommyrt

Reaction score
I tend to wear square ended ties to make the entire ensemble less formal, they are especially fun to wear, but i'd suggest layering a cardigan to add some interesting angles, because the square end seems to be harsh on its own.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apart from knit ties which are saquare end, most square ends are often thai and indian silks (with corresponding patterns), I've seen them with Hawaiian patterns as well. Embroidery is common among the oldest trunk ties.

Agree with most folks, they are more casual, and tend to be much narrower than a traditional tie.

They are fine if you want to do something different.

Rooster makes alot of these, as does Ernst and Tucker Ties. Most trunk ties tend to be vintage, I dont see them produced much anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads