• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie to Match This Shirt?

ravenga

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, this is my debut thread on this forum. I have been lurking for sometime and decided to take the plunge. I hope to contribute and to learn from all the great people posting on here.

A bit about myself, I work in finance and am in my late twenties. I was always a designer tshirt and jeans type of guy (even though I would always stop to admire a good looking suit) until life got serious and now i've grown a serious passion for classic menswear. Little by little I am to amass my ideal wardrobe while educating myself.

So, for my first post I have chosen to ask for your assitance with a dilemma I have. I bought a bunch of Canali shirts over a year and a half ago and there is one that I have yet to open the packaging on. The reason being, I simply have not decided what kind of suit/tie to match it with. I have posted a picture of it.. It is white with purple and light grey pin stripes...from a distance its hard to pick out the colors as such because the stripes are so thin.

I have a large array of ties but I'm willing to go into the market to get it just right.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF.

As far as suits are concerned, I would go with a solid navy or grey suit with this shirt. It is possible to wear striped shirts and suits together providing the patterns are sufficiently differentiated in scale, but it is easier and safer to not attempt this, especially when you're already having trouble pairing this shirt with anything.

IMO this shirt is absolutely begging for a medium to dark blue tie. A solid blue tie would definitely work, but you could also wear this with a tie with pindots or a subtle print or pattern. The right shade of grey tie could work as well. You ideally want something that complements rather than attempts to match the grey stripes in the shirt.

ravenga

Reaction score
Welcome to SF.

As far as suits are concerned, I would go with a solid navy or grey suit with this shirt. It is possible to wear striped shirts and suits together providing the patterns are sufficiently differentiated in scale, but it is easier and safer to not attempt this, especially when you're already having trouble pairing this shirt with anything.

IMO this shirt is absolutely begging for a medium to dark blue tie. A solid blue tie would definitely work, but you could also wear this with a tie with pindots or a subtle print or pattern. The right shade of grey tie could work as well. You ideally want something that complements rather than attempts to match the grey stripes in the shirt.

Was thinking along those lines. Didn't think of the pindots but I have a Marinella that fits that bill perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads