Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tie and Pocket Square for Purple Gingham shirt with Grey Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by theaarond, Apr 29, 2012.

1. theaarond

theaarond Member

Longtime reader, first time poster. I am excited to become part of the forum that has taught me so much.

I need help on deciding on a tie (or bow tie) and pocket square combo to wear with a grey suit and a purple gingham shirt. I don't have the shirt yet but the suit is similar color/texture to the one below (maybe a little darker) and I included a pic of the shirt I'll probably buy unless convinced otherwise. I'd also be interested to hear shoe/sock suggestions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want the combo to really pop but not be too over the top... whatever that means. Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks!

2. Robotclaws

Robotclaws Well-Known Member

If you're going to wear a busy/patterned shirt, I'd tone down the rest of the outfit. Solid tie/socks for me. It's not a boring look, it just has fewer things competing for attention.

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'd go with a grenadine tie (solid color, but textural interest), probably either dark purple or navy blue.

I'm sure some patterns would also look good, but it would be more challenging to coordinate the scale of the pattern relative to that of the checks on the shirt.

4. theaarond

theaarond Member

Thanks! I did think that another pattern would be tough to pull off. I like the sound of a Navy neck-tie with some texture. Do you think I could wear a grenadine bow tie? Or should I just stick to a normal tie?

5. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Purple gingham shirt looks good with the grey suit

6. Waldofaldo

Waldofaldo New Member

I am looking for advice for the same suit/shirt combo. Were you successful in finding anything?

7. the brambles

the brambles Member

Wouldn't a grey tie work well?

8. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

You could do a dark charcoal grey tie (darker than the suit), but I would go for the Dark Navy grenadine as well.

9. lostron

lostron Senior member

Go with a solid dark purple tie like in the picture... No texture, and pattern, and etc.. A purple silk woven tie... No pocket square needed since it's already a sharp and busy shirt.

10. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Something like this (but a skinnier version) might work:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...olor=NAVY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

Another navy/purple combo that might work well:

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...48&MainCatId=19&HEADERMENUID=3&SUBPRODCATID=0

And while I don't know that the colors are exactly right, I like the idea of a dark gold with a purple pattern on it:

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...02&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0

If going the knit tie route, this is more what I was thinking:

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...02&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0