• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifting in Montana

benjclark

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
As a young professional man who takes his job seriously, I've joined others my age of dressing deliberately, practically, and hopefully a little more stylishly for the first time. Finding better quality stuff while thrifting is great. However, thrifting for quality menswear where no one wears it in the first place is pretty much futile. In my town, I can name every man that wears a suit and tie to work on a regular basis, and it's not many. I think it's about a dozen in total.
But, this weekend, I got to go over to Great Falls, Montana for a speaking engagement and hit the thrifts there. I was excited to apply some of the things I've learned here at StyleForum and Put This On. Great Falls is a much larger town, has a larger "professional" class, including a big military presence (young men with a little extra money may drop some cash on nicer duds was my thinking). It's also just an older monied town, with a large Railroad corporate presence and historically lots of tourism. I was hoping to find some gems, but knew it'd be lots of bolo ties and grease stained wranglers. I thought I'd share the experience with you.
I found a Brioni-made Palm Beach California menswear place tagged sport coat. It was a crazy pink silk tweedish affair with unfortunate cataclysmic staining (left behind). Found some decent ties and also some things you'd likely only find in Montana thrift stores. Instead of just sharing the humdrum ties (to this forum's high standard), I thought I'd share the odd and cool. Sorry for the bad photos -- on my iphone. Enjoy:

Saddle at Goodwill. Nice, older example, decent regional maker. Price tag on the upper part of the stirrup visible -- $495.

Hudson's Bay coat. Worn hard. Cheap. Yuck.

Prized painted silk bull tie. "The Wonder Bull" seems like a pretty bold statement, although I've got to admit, that's not a bad looking bull.

Lastly, something actually spotted at an antique mall, but very cool. It's a travelling shoe salesman's case. Six identical suitcases appx. 18" x 42" inside of another *huge* shipping case. I didn't have a lot of time to get all the details but the $300 price tag on all seemed like a bargain. The rich brown patina on the inside cases were very nice, and the cell photo doesn't come close to the scale of these things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads