1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thrift store find #1 on the day...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Feb 10, 2005.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

I picked up a pair of shoes today...

I could not for the life of me get a pic of the insole where they are marked "Alan McAfee, London, Expressly made for Quists' McAfee Shop, Seattle, Made in England". They say something similar on the outsole, I just noticed, stamped "handmade bespoke" if I am making it out right. I can't tel whether they are real crocodile or alligator or what, but they sure look nice. Anyone know anything about these?

Edit: more 'sock' markings, handwritten in the size area: 8-1/2 E 8H (size 8-1/2 last, 8 heel I assume) 58918.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Same font, but in an oval along with all the other writing. I'll try to get a pic.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

Okay, here's one.. how the hell do people get good pics of the insole?

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I doubt they are fake, i mean who would fake those, noone knows the brand anyways, so it's not like they'd be making a killing by doing so...

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't mean fake McAfee, but fake croc/gator. I am not sophisto enough to tell the difference. They look pretty good either way, though.

Anyone know if they are worth anything?

7. PHV

PHV Senior member

Those scales look a little too perfect to be croc... might be just me though.

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

I think perhaps they look pretty perfect because they are top-end skins.  Awesome find hombre.  They should probably be in a History of English Shoemaking museum, not in a thrift shop....

What size are they, approximately? Give us first dibs if you plan to sell them.

9. j

j Senior member Admin

I can shoehorn my feet into them without pain, but I wouldn't be able to walk. So they are approximately a 10 or maybe 9.5 in AE sizing. For reference, I have 10.5C AEs (Sanford) that are nearly too tight, and 10.5Ds (Lloyd) that fit properly. Don't know the lasts on those though.

Accidentally posted while logged in as my roommate. Too many computers...

10. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Should I, Shouldn't I...

What the hell...

Ernest, what are your thoughts?

11. j

j Senior member Admin

These are most definitely not for farmer... They are sitting near me on the ottoman and I keep admiring them. I really wish they fit me. I would wear these as often as possible.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, you could always ebay them as RLPL gators... j/k seriously though, those are cool shoes.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

How would I tell if they are real croc/gator? And how would I tell which of those they are? Here's my ignorance and inexperience again; I honestly couldn't tell real reptile from stamped.

14. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I'm with kabert. They look real to me from here. Fake reptile is often too shiny, while these seem to have the right dull/matte sheen.
    Great find (and a little piece of vanished local history too). This is what keeps me going to the thrift store every single day.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I was just looking at the shoes first hand, and they are very nice.

16. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hm... awesome shoes... I'm not a fan of croc/gator shoes but those are superb. Could you tree them, especially with the crappy tautly sprung trees, which would stretch the shoes out? Slip-ons generally stretch a bit that way. Here's hopin'.

17. j

j Senior member Admin

No, they are never going to fit me, until I get that toe removal surgery I'm saving up for. I'd much rather pass them on to someone who will fit into them as they are.

18. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member

so, what are you going to do with those gorgeous shoes? I'm a 9.5 (he said, sounding hopeful...)

19. j

j Senior member Admin

Well, sell them I guess, but not before I get more info. I wonder who I could bring them to in Seattle that could tell me whether they are real croc/gator. Ideas?

20. j

j Senior member Admin

Bump, can someone point me to a guide on telling croc/gator from embossed leather, or tell me where to take them to find out?