• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Bad Options

Jacobs

Reaction score
I have an outdoor wedding at a winery to attend in Southern California in July. No dress code listed but I'd like to go as formal as possible. The expected high is 93*. I have three options right now, none of which are ideal. I can go with a gun club sport coat in a wool-linen blend that fits well and is good quality, but isn't formal. I can go with a navy pinstripe suit I got a few years ago before I knew anything about suits, but the pants are rather large and I don't feel like it's a good fit. While the jacket fits quite well, I exceed a 6 inch drop so the 44 pants are quite large and the classic fit only exacerbates it. Or, I can go with a solid navy from one of those 3 for $129 stores I got years ago that is a better fit with a more modern cut but is made out of crap. I'll post a fit of the navy pinstripe tonight or tomorrow, if the overwhelming consensus isn't it's too business like and is a good option. Thoughts? I know it's best to wear a suit, but wanted to get some opinions on this situation. Thanks

Last edited:

Jacobs

Reaction score
It might be relevant that the pinstripe isn't very bold.
IMG_4830.JPG

I suppose the point of the pinstripe isn't so much the fit (I can have it tailored) but rather than unsuitability of pinstripes for anything but business.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think a business suit would still be my choice over a gun club sport coat. So, that's how those two compare. So, now it's down to the third option - if you could post a picture of you in the 3rd suit that would help. Even if it's not the best material, if it's in good shape and fits you that may be all that matters. So, get the third suit on and snap a photo and let us have a look.

Jacobs

Reaction score
I was sold this suit about 3 years ago. If you can imagine it, I was actually leaner at the time. Thanks Men's Wearhouse, thanks. I feel like the fit of the jacket isn't THAT bad, at least not compared to the pants, and that if the pants were altered in both fullness through the leg as well as length it would make the jacket look less voluminous.

In short,

Is this suit reclaimable without extensive tailoring? I'm fine with having the pants tapered and shortened, but I really don't want to spend $200 on this suit, seeing as I only paid $250 for it.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Wearing that suit to a wedding is not a good choice. Wearing that suit to a southern Californian wedding in July with no dress code is not situationally appropriate and will make make you look eccentric or affected. I would go with a sports coat over a pin striped suit. You might also want to look for a light-colored sports coat and light trousers for events such as this in the future.

As for tailoring don't bother. Donate and move on.

Jacobs

Reaction score
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion concerning the sport coat. Reading Styleforum too much can make you doubt your instincts and forget where you are, even if it is usually helpful. Mostly I just wanted to know about the suit. Thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads