• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this suit?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tcnjbanker123
Too short but love the vox nothing like an ac with a fender

+1.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right the jacket is way too short and no you can't get away with it. The sleeves you can get shortned but the only way to fix teh jacket is by going up a size. You can go for it if you want but it is very noticable and you look like your trying to squeeze into an old suit from your high school days.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
the shortness of the jacket is further accentuated by the positioning of the buttons. that third button should be hitting your waist, not your navel.

+1, it's also about the placement/proportions. Looks like the whole "jacket" is sitting high up on you. Buttons, pockets, etc are all just a little higher then where they should be. For me my navel's generally just above the middle of the two bottom buttons or so.

It's a really nice suit and all but the # rule is it's got to be nice for you.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
+1, it's also about the placement/proportions. Looks like the whole "jacket" is sitting high up on you. Buttons, pockets, etc are all just a little higher then where they should be. For me my navel's generally just above the middle of the two bottom buttons or so.

It's a really nice suit and all but the # rule is it's got to be nice for you.

A lot of people are buying great suits at a fraction of their retail price but unfortunately they lose their sartorial acumen during the process.

It is not the point to buy a great Savile Row suit if it doesn't fit you...

The quality of the garment will be obscured by the fact it is not suited to your personal body measurements.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
I know the first response will be "jacket's too short," but do you think I can get away with it?
picture1lj.png

picture2gbl.png

Suit is a flannel RLP by Corneliani

You look like a 15 year old who has outgrown his Bar Mitzvah suit.

mateoban

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
the shortness of the jacket is further accentuated by the positioning of the buttons. that third button should be hitting your waist, not your navel.
agree. but could you school me on the waist/navel issue. old-schoolers always say the waste is just below the navel. i realize times have changed. just hoping someone can tell me.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Well, the suit is already for sale on the B&S forum, but I came across this picture on my phone from the only other time I put on the suit. I think part of the "short" appearance of the suit may have been from the camera angle of that single picture. In this shot, IMHO, the jacket doesn't appear nearly as short. Wishful thinking? I measured the jacket and it is only about .5 inches shorter than all my other jackets, none of which I've ever felt are remotely too short.
picture1ajj.png

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
I think part of the "short" appearance of the suit may have been from the camera angle of that single picture.
Camera angle makes a big difference at close range so does using the widest angle of a typical digital camera. Most photos posted here are from high angle, short distance with huge parallax and perspective distortion. You can't correctly judge suit proportions based on that. Judging suit jacket length by standing close to a mirror like in a fitting room is also deceptive because of parallax error. P.S. Your jacket still does look a little short to me, even from the latest picture, even considering your arm is raised to take the picture so the suit is sitting higher than usual.
marchal.gif

citizenshame

Reaction score
After I thought more a bit about the first picture, I remembered that I had posed leaning back slightly, as I sometimes (narcissistically) do to puff out my shoulders. Perhaps this and the camera angle contributed to the already slightly short appearance of the suit.

I very much appreciate all the honest feedback I've gotten here, but I do know suits and I'm pretty surprised at how universally the fit of this particular one has been declared "way too short."

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mateoban
agree. but could you school me on the waist/navel issue. old-schoolers always say the waste is just below the navel. i realize times have changed. just hoping someone can tell me.

Times have not changed when it comes to anatomy. The waist is "the part of the body in humans between the ribs and the hips, usually the narrowest part of the torso." It tends to be near the navel, but can be above or below.

The waistband of your trousers and the waist button of your jacket should be at your waist. It's remarkable how difficult that is for some people to understand.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agree...too short!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads