• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these shoes for tux?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo patent loafer - Notte model I believe. Until now I've just been wearing lace-up captoes with my tux. Are these the kind of shoes I would want to step it up to a more complete black tie outfit?

jkw

Reaction score
They slightly resemble the opera pump, but I'm not sure that I'd go with them. I'd get a pair of more appropriate lace-ups (oxford, balmoral?), seeing as you want a dedicated pair of fomal shoes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have often seen those Ferragamos for sale. They always struck me as a slightly modernized, perhaps slightly more "masculinized" version of the classic opera pump. I think they would be ideal for wear with a tux.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Ferragamo patent loafer - Notte model I believe. Until now I've just been wearing lace-up captoes with my tux. Are these the kind of shoes I would want to step it up to a more complete black tie outfit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Salvatore-Fe...em?refid=store

I also plan to step up my formal attire this fall with a new tux and appropriate footwear and accessories. My current tux is a bit too trendy and I've never had proper shoes. The 20 year old Cravate has inspired me.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have often seen those Ferragamos for sale. They always struck me as a slightly modernized, perhaps slightly more "masculinized" version of the classic opera pump. I think they would be ideal for wear with a tux.

I agree with Jan. I personally wear patent leather lace-ups, but I think these are fine.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what do you guys think of black whole-cuts with a tux? I wanted something that I can wear on multiple occasions.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what do you guys think of black whole-cuts with a tux? I wanted something that I can wear on multiple occasions.
With a good shine, they should be fine.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do get patent pumps. Don't get Ferragamo pumps. Patent is the one leather you can afford to skimp on. There's basically no difference in quality between $100 pumps and $500 pumps, so if you'll wear them infrequently, find cheap ones. I have these:

http://www.shoebuy.com/sandro-moscol...-_-none-_-none

which run 1/2 size small.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Do get patent pumps. Don't get Ferragamo pumps. Patent is the one leather you can afford to skimp on. There's basically no difference in quality between $100 pumps and $500 pumps, so if you'll wear them infrequently, find cheap ones. I have these:

http://www.shoebuy.com/sandro-moscol...-_-none-_-none

which run 1/2 size small.

that's a good alternative. looks virtually identical, as well.

i wear the old AE Spencer, and you can sometimes find any of the NIB AE patent leather shoes (Ritz, Spencer, Coppley) for less than $100.

Also, there are a number of BB's and RLPL/EG's out there on ebay.

edit - here are similar and cheaper options relative to the ferragamo:
Allen Edmonds Ritz - size 9D

I like that sandro moscolini one, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads