• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on suit supply overcoat and colour choice

archipel

Reaction score
Why would you wear an overcoat in the summer?

Have you seen the Suitsupply overcoats? They are not winter coats in my opinion and experience. More for colder summer days, fall and warmer winter days. If you wear these when its 0 degrees Celsius or lower (32 degrees Fahrenheit or lower) you'll get the hypothermia you're talking about.

REPORT: Sartorially Clueless Dog Wearing Wool Coat, Sweater, Pants, Hat, Scarf, Socks, Gloves, and Shoes In The Summer

View attachment 1463948

I laughed?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you seen the Suitsupply overcoats? They are not winter coats in my opinion and experience. More for colder summer days, fall and warmer winter days. If you wear these when its 0 degrees Celsius or lower (32 degrees Fahrenheit or lower) you'll get the hypothermia you're talking about.

I laughed?

I was just going to say earlier, the thing I don't like about SuitSupply overcoats is mostly their silhouette. They look very slim and short, which feels kind of 2010 to me.

I feel like we're in a weird place right now where slightly more fashion-forward lines and classic menswear brands are producing similar silhouettes for overcoats -- longer, fuller, etc.

Personally prefer something like this, but worn open and without a tie. Just layer a knit underneath. The wearer here seems to be wearing jeans. Would pair something like this with pebble-grained chukkas.

f0001613_00131696-1.jpg

Another set-in sleeve topcoat with jeans. Worn open. Fill up space between the fronts with a scarf. These are white jeans, but the look would work just as well with blue jeans.

f0001613_00131532.jpg

Oversized raglan overcoats give you a very rounded silhouette. I like them, but they don't always look good on certain people. In classic Western aesthetics, the idealized male form has a V-shaped torso, sort of like the Statue of David or the Vitriuvian Man. It's easier to get that silhouette with a set-in sleeve. Depending on how the shoulder has been cut and the sleeve has been set, it can extend the shoulder points just a little bit and give you a T-sahpe at the top.

Although not everything has to be about adhering to that classic shape, either. Just depends on how you look in the garment.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I think we're all forgetting the dramatic whoosh that accompanies a long coat, which is at least half the appeal.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just going to say earlier, the thing I don't like about SuitSupply overcoats is mostly their silhouette. They look very slim and short, which feels kind of 2010 to me.

In that picture, the overcoat is being worn more like a long jacket. There's no way the model can be wearing that over a jacket and get that silhouette.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gettyimages-119455891-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-78824975-2048x2048.jpg

Harold Macmillan at 90 still cared about what he wore. Although I think his coat is a bit short.

Last edited:

archipel

Reaction score

I feel like we're in a weird place right now where slightly more fashion-forward lines and classic menswear brands are producing similar silhouettes for overcoats -- longer, fuller, etc.

Personally prefer something like this, but worn open and without a tie. Just layer a knit underneath. The wearer here seems to be wearing jeans. Would pair something like this with pebble-grained chukkas.

View attachment 1464006

Another set-in sleeve topcoat with jeans. Worn open. Fill up space between the fronts with a scarf. These are white jeans, but the look would work just as well with blue jeans.

View attachment 1464009

Oversized raglan overcoats give you a very rounded silhouette. I like them, but they don't always look good on certain people. In classic Western aesthetics, the idealized male form has a V-shaped torso, sort of like the Statue of David or the Vitriuvian Man. It's easier to get that silhouette with a set-in sleeve. Depending on how the shoulder has been cut and the sleeve has been set, it can extend the shoulder points just a little bit and give you a T-sahpe at the top.

Although not everything has to be about adhering to that classic shape, either. Just depends on how you look in the garment.

I think your coats are also very nice but I think a lot of people miss that these overcoats and the one comrade posted are just completely different type of coats that the overcoats from Suitsupply. I also have a longer, fuller overcoat because it is not really the same coat. I wear the SuSu when it's not really that cold but too cold without a coat and the longer/fuller overcoat when it is cold outside.

Metrosey

Reaction score
Was looking at Suitsupply myself for an overcoat at the £400-£500 range. They seem like they’ll be great for British winters. Not too heavy/light.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your coats are also very nice but I think a lot of people miss that these overcoats and the one comrade posted are just completely different type of coats that the overcoats from Suitsupply. I also have a longer, fuller overcoat because it is not really the same coat. I wear the SuSu when it's not really that cold but too cold without a coat and the longer/fuller overcoat when it is cold outside.
That's what raincoats are for. I do not get very cold. If one wears a sport coat, suit
or a sweater of some thickness, a raincoat should suffice. A raincoat with a lining
would work for those of us who do not live in Chicago or Scandinavia. I am in the
San Francisco Bay area for the past 30 years . On maybe one occasion I wore my
Loden cloth Burberry Balmacan when it was 35 F or 1,.67 celsius which served
as my light overcoat in Chicago. My Ivertere greatcoat remains unworn in my
"Cothing Museum".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads