• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so what do you all think of thom browne..is he worth the hefty price tag or what?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh Mr Browne. It's been so long.

500 dong for the fastest Peewee Herman reference.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes but you know thers something cool about him breakin all the rules and just shortening up the jackets and pants ..you gotta have a lot of confidence to pull of a look otherwise yes you are going to look like peewee herman

i personally like his suits, they are very well made but i thought id start this thread to see whats peoples opinions were because i was at a local suit and clothing designer in Georgetown DC and everyone who works with him apparetnly despises thom so it just got me thinkng how many epole actually do

Duveen

Reaction score
I think the whole forum would agree that he is worth every penny.

Seriously - TB is a touchy subject around here. The construction is good to very good, the price very high and the style extreme. You are paying for the name here (altho the same could be said for Kiton...)

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh and one more thing..
im really young in college and more into the fashionable suits..not traditional
more like etro duncan quinn emporio armani typa deal
im really not into traditional cut and designs like from zegna or so on

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I think the whole forum would agree that he is worth every penny. Seriously - TB is a touchy subject around here. The construction is good to very good, the price very high and the style extreme. You are paying for the name here (altho the same could be said for Kiton...)
i own a few thom brown shirts and a one suit off the rack from bergdorf and eys the construction is absoletly amazing, i love hte gross grain detials and a lot designers are copying tht off him..i was thinking about getting a bespoke from him but im not sure..its not lke i need it i jsut want one .. but yea i thought id add.. a lot of poeple have problems with the style..some just think you look like a child with short sleeves or short pants ..but you can always get the pants cut normal length..or just go with it wiht some confidence

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Like his stuff, but not the prices.

yea i gotta agree with you on that
i guess with the suits you can justify it..but with the shirts..there nice and all but are just ridiculously over priced...i saw one at bergdorf for about 700 white one with a white geometric pattern on it..
the only shirts that are cheap(relatively not actually cheap) i think are the plain colored oxfords that go for about 220

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like his stuff. Seems like suits have had a price hike as they're being shown with 4000 GBP pricetags in magazines(!!!!!!) Makes his previous pricing of $5000 seem like a bargain.

all of his gear is overpriced, despite it being well made. I think his innovativeness is overdone, as guys in the mod scene have been wearing suits like his for years, just no one in the mainstream knew about it. When I first saw his suits i thought "oh cool, a mainstream guy doing what we're into".

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I see it, the problem with Thom Browne is as follows:

If you're walking down the street wearing his suit as he intends and run into someone who doesn't know TB, no doubt you'll hear snickers and "What the hell are you thinking?" If, however, you run into someone hip to TB you'll probably hear, "Oh, you're wearing a Thom Browne suit."

Either way it detracts from the whole point of dressing well, which is, "You look great" and not "Nice Kiton/Isaia/Smith/Brioni or Browne suit."

I've yet to see anyone look better in his clothes worn as he recommends. Including Mr. Browne.

lefty

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ i gottta give ya some of that..if a person doesnt know about tb there probably going to think you look ridiculous
but you can always ask to get the suit cut a lil longer

or maybe its easier or more "acceptable" to show a little ankle during the summer?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have a hard time taking a man dressed like that (aside from Thom Browne himself) seriously. Anyone wearing someone else's look completely will look plastic but this is a little too self conscious for me. It's a bit like this corporate James Dean look. Also, the outfits ive seen him in do not scream style, they remind me of the girls' byline from the 90s, "Brandon or Dillon?"

I suppose I should be happy he is doing something to keep the jacket and tie alive. It does have a certain 60s chic to it. But couldnt you treat yourself to black label too? And Drakes makes slim ties now. You could put it together yourself without Thim's assistance.

Looks good for a casual approach... if you want a prepackaged look.

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
^ i gottta give ya some of that..if a person doesnt know about tb there probably going to think you look ridiculous
but you can always ask to get the suit cut a lil longer

The person's first instinct would be the correct one: you look ridiculous. A poor look given legitimacy by a designer is still a poor look.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with mattjames on this one. There is another designer, Jeremy Scott, who has designed clothes that are made to look like Fast-Food items (pants and shirts that look like French-fry boxes or hamburgers, etc.) Regardless of how "innovative" a designer one may think he is or how well constructed the garments are, wearing it out on the street still looks stupid. Of course, Browne doesn't go this far, but nevertheless almost nobody could pull off this look.

Also, ghulkan, you might benefit from a search of the archives. There have been some VERY interesting discussions of Browne here, many heated, and I suspect that most are still worn out from the last row. So, you may get more information from that search.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of his stuff looks interesting, although it is too dear for me, and I hate this obsession that he seems to have with putting patches on things, including suits. There was also some crazy get-up featured in the Bergdorf Goodman catalog recently that made me chuckle and reminded me of an astronaut.

I am, however, looking forward to his line for Brooks Brothers. Hopefully they'll rein him in with regards to the outlandish styling and prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads