• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne "Diffusion" Line - SS10

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Just got a glimpse of the new Thom Browne "Diffusion" line for SS10.
Since it still hasn't hit the racks, I wasn't supposed to take pictures of it but I managed to sneak a few in the changing room (excuse the blurry photos). I've included a description of the pieces I saw, the materials and the pricing. As you will see, there is a reason why I placed the word "diffusion" in quotes in the thread title. I tried on a couple pieces to see how it compared in sizing to the mainline Thom Browne stuff I own.

The dress shirts are very similar to (if not the same as) the mainline in terms of sizing and material. Cotton shirts offer his traditional, higher-than-BoO arm holes and are ultra-sturdy.

Ridiculously, the white oxford pictured retails for $240 which is only $15 cheaper than the mainline solid colored oxfords. It does, however, have the striped detailing under the buttons which would probably boost the price of the mainline equivalent significantly. I didn't analyze all the shirts super closely but it seems they lack the fancy tapering on the back of the shoulders like the mainline shirts.
The logo patch on the insider collar is the exact same as the mainline pieces. The same is true of the thick, black wood, TB logo'ed hangers upon which the shirts reside.
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG

The traditional patch on the bottom front left does not include the name of the store to which the pieces were sent (mainline will say Barneys or Bergdorf Goodman, etc). Additionally, the patch is missing the words "Handmade in the USA." The label inside (which appears to be missing on some of the dress shirts) states that they are still made in the USA.
IMG_0774.JPG

The sleeve/cuff interface, however, has the fancy tapering as can be seen in the photo below.
IMG_0775.JPG

The selection of ties is awesome and consists primarily of 3 color-striped combinations. The silk feels very high quality and each tie is bordering on $200....this also seems relatively high to me for a diffusion line. I can't remember if these were made in the USA or Italy.

A striped light blue oxford was also available for $240. This shirt did not have any of the 3-color stripe details like the white oxford.

I also saw a grey hoodie with YKK zipper and (if I remember correctly) 4 painted white stripes on the left bicep. Upon close inspection, it seemed that the stripes had some cracking and may be susceptible to coming off in a wash. It had a lot of the 3 color stripe detailing (such as the hoddie draw strings) as well as striped piping through the insides. It was very warm and solid feeling altogether and very reasonably priced ($260 if memory serves me right).

I saw some fugly grey shorts made of a sweat-pant type material for lack of a better analogy sporting the same white stripes as the hoodie. I thought they were so ugly I didnt bother to inspect them.

Two, interesting, short-sleeved, patchwork, madras shirts were available; one of the red variety and the other featuring blueish colors. These were similarly priced to the oxfords.

Finally, I tried on the summer jacket pictured below. This jacket had many great features but the shoulders were so boxy they were almost princess-like. This, combined with the absolutely-bizarro-for-thom-browne girth of the biceps, forced me to quickly dismiss the jacket as a non-kop for myself. Around the torso, waist and sleeves, the jack fit perfectly fine and included several button knotches for personal adjustment. The jacket retails for $660 (which is what I would expect for a diffusion TB jacket). Quality seemed great as well. Jacket was, interestly, made in Japan.

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

The sides of the jacket (shown below) also have adjustable straps and high venting.
IMG_0777.JPG

All in all, I think this line is targeted at people who can normally afford Margiela. Referring to this line as "true diffusion" is highly debatable given that the oxfords are essentially the same price as mainline TB and the ties boarder Lanvin prices..... successfully preventing would-be-TB-owning-plebs from acquiring the holy grail of mens clothing. Who knows though, maybe the world will get lucky and Thom will jump on the "made exclusively for Gilt" bandwagon that supposedly doesn't exist
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got one of those "diffusion" shirts at the Jeffrey's store in NYC recently.

It was $195, which is slightly cheaper than what I remember paying for the mainline shirts at Barneys--I believe those were $230 or something.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local Barneys COOP had this stuff out yesterday

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I got one of those "diffusion" shirts at the Jeffrey's store in NYC recently.

It was $195, which is slightly cheaper than what I remember paying for the mainline shirts at Barneys--I believe those were $230 or something.

yeah thats my point. anyone spending 195 for a shirt would also spend 230 for a shirt. personally, id spend the extra 15 - 30 bucks to get a handmade, more exclusive one.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
were there any cardigans available to you? I'm curious as to the price point of them and the quality.

nah. from what ive heard this summer collection is mainly shirts, shorts, accessories (hats, belt, ties) and some jackets.

given that his knits normally retail over 3k, i have no clue what he would ask for the "diffusion" version

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw the thom browne stuff today in barneys coop, i liked the hoodie...

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the placket detailing on the shirts, but the patterns (madras shirt exempted) are nothing special. Blue ox, white ox, bengal-striped ox.

I bet we see how "diffuse" these items really are when they hit sales, since maybe retailers were told to discount them further than normal TB items.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to give it to Thom Browne - it really is amazing that he OCBDs into sorta subversive iconic pieces.

Also, I hope Band of Outsiders pays him royalties.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Like the placket detailing on the shirts, but the patterns (madras shirt exempted) are nothing special. Blue ox, white ox, bengal-striped ox.

I bet we see how "diffuse" these items really are when they hit sales, since maybe retailers were told to discount them further than normal TB items.

good point about the sales. you are probably right about that.

with regards to patterns not being special. thom browne is more about construction (mainline are handmade), fit (even better than BoO) and themes of "uniformity."

new Spring Summer 10 stuff that is (i believe) also part of the diffusion line:
http://www.porhomme.com/2010/03/thom...10-collection/

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
good point about the sales. you are probably right about that.

with regards to patterns not being special. thom browne is more about construction (mainline are handmade), fit (even better than BoO) and themes of "uniformity."

new Spring Summer 10 stuff that is (i believe) also part of the diffusion line:
http://www.porhomme.com/2010/03/thom...10-collection/

Those are tragic.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
isnt it funny that a ton of the spring/summer stuff is rainwear?
i like it because its so ******* out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads