• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of picking up an entry-level DSLR to play with..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to, and think I'm ready now.

Anyone wanna walk me through the differences between the entry level Nikon/Canon offerings and which way I should go?

Basically just want to get the most basic setup to play with before I figure out if I want to invest more into this hobby.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't walk you through much except to say that I've been happy with my D40. Even for someone like myself with no photography knowledge it's easy to take good pictures with.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I can't walk you through much except to say that I've been happy with my D40. Even for someone like myself with no photography knowledge it's easy to take good pictures with.

+1. I love my D40. I think it's been replaced by other Nikon offerings now, but that might make it all the easier to grab a D40, used, on the cheap.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like D40 is still out there as their entry level offering, and you can pick one up from about $420...

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
+1 for the D40, good camera, my GF got one and in good light some of the pictures are as good as my D700.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Others may chime in here, but 6MP is plenty unless you're planning to blow up bigger than 8x10 prints.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
6MP is fine, we blew up some posters from my GF's and it looked spot on. Just make sure you do your framing in camera and not by cropping afterwoulds if you are looking to do large prints.

the other standard bit of advise is to go to a camera shop and pick them both up, see which one feels better.

You'll also be buying into a company for a long time because of the lense mounts, you will always get the Canon vs Nikon debate from most forums with not much between them, I opted for Nikon cause Canon are sh!t (only joking).

If you can plum for a d60 get that but its a bit of a price jump but will give you 10MP and a lot more.

You wont regret it, I've been dossing around whith photography for a while now and I get a lot of grins from it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main players are Nikon and Canon. Each have their strong points, each have their weak points, but overall, you can do great work with either system.

Go to a store, and try them out. The controls are different. I suggest going with the one that feels more natural.

Megapixel rating is the last thing you should worry about, yet so many people focus on it like it is the most important thing.

The lenses are the really important things (as in THE MOST IMPORTANT). I have WAY more money tied up in lenses than in bodies.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
milhouse is spot on. invest in good glass. maybe even get a good prime lens (e.g. non-zoom). the big zoom lenses are tempting and convenient but once you start messing around you'll really start to realize the shortcomings of lenses with huge telephoto ranges, because for the money they're making a lot of sacrifices.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you just want to play around, then go to a store and play with both cameras or find a used one. You'll want to spend most of your money on glass anyway, especially if you decide to become more serious about photography. I like to shoot motorsports and fast action stuff, so I prefer the speed of my Canon set-up, but you really can't go wrong with either brand if you're starting out and want to play around.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
milhouse is spot on. invest in good glass. maybe even get a good prime lens (e.g. non-zoom). the big zoom lenses are tempting and convenient but once you start messing around you'll really start to realize the shortcomings of lenses with huge telephoto ranges, because for the money they're making a lot of sacrifices.

Ok, let's be honest here, we know the telephoto comes first. How else am I going to shoot hot chicks on the beach?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find a good deal on a canon digital rebel xti (some people actually prefer them to the newer xsi and they should be a good deal cheaper)

I like canon (although nikon has some cool stuff on the low end...once you start investing in glass it is hard to switch and canon wins the top glass award)

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Nikon D40. It was my entry into the DSLR world, and I am very pleased with it. Check out DPReview.com for the best forums and reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads