• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This...I think it might be a watch.

...but why would it be so damn expensive, I mean it doesn't look expensive to me, it just looks fugly. The price is over 2 million yuan(RMB), that's like $300,000(USD)

Its the Parmigiani Fleurier Bugatti. It uses a very interesting in-house movement:

However, I personally don't like the way it looks either.

I think this is a much better watch:

http://lostinasupermarket.com/2009/11/parmigiani-fleuriers-bugatti-tourbillon-watch/

Since it can be worn on the wrist and rests in it's own spot in the car.

Regarding the prices, a lot of what you are paying for is exclusivity; YMMV.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its the Parmigiani Fleurier Bugatti. It uses a very interesting in-house movement:

However, I personally don't like the way it looks either.
I think this is a much better watch:
http://lostinasupermarket.com/2009/11/parmigiani-fleuriers-bugatti-tourbillon-watch/

Since it can be worn on the wrist and rests in it's own spot in the car.
Regarding the prices, a lot of what you are paying for is exclusivity; YMMV.

Ah thanks ImageWIS. I know who'll be buying it though, nouveau riche Beijingers that have too much money. Thing is I walk past it every day on my way to the office and look at the 7 digit price tag. Also with that Bugatti watch, one probably can't even get it under a shirt cuff, it's so bulbous.

BTW I'm spending a week in Beijing, will be back home in Xilinhot this week. Not seen any Bugattis here though, although I suspect there maybe a couple

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah thanks ImageWIS. I know who'll be buying it though, nouveau riche Beijingers that have too much money. Thing is I walk past it every day on my way to the office and look at the 7 digit price tag. Also with that Bugatti watch, one probably can't even get it under a shirt cuff, it's so bulbous.
BTW I'm spending a week in Beijing, will be back home in Xilinhot this week. Not seen any Bugattis here though, although I suspect there maybe a couple

I was at the Patek boutique inside of Tiffany's a few weeks ago and the sales associate mentioned that wealthy Chinese come in with a list of 10 watches, the store only has, say 6 of the watches in stock, the credit card comes out and they buy the 6 watches, sight unseen. If memory serves me correctly, the least expensive Patek now starts at 18K...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe some languages have a more clearly defined middle voice between active and passive. In English, the difference between the active and middle voices can be illustrated by considering the sentence "The children are ready to eat." Since children are things that can be both ready to eat and (theoretically) ready to be eaten, the sentence permits two different interpretations.
In proper English, I suppose 'done' and 'finished' are used to mark the respective middle and active voices, since "the cake" is something that can be done, but itself is not capable of doing. It is worthwhile to note that "the cake" here is actually a proleptic metonym denoting the process of making a cake, the same way "law degree" would be in a question posed to a student, "How's your law degree coming along?" "Oh, my law degree is done, thanks for asking!"

Note to self: Do not get into English usage pissing contest with tagutcow.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why people get violent over discounted video games but not over things that matter.

Because entertainment and material goods are all that matter to most people.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was at the Patek boutique inside of Tiffany's a few weeks ago and the sales associate mentioned that wealthy Chinese come in with a list of 10 watches, the store only has, say 6 of the watches in stock, the credit card comes out and they buy the 6 watches, sight unseen. If memory serves me correctly, the least expensive Patek now starts at 18K...

Hope the guy was on commission..

Best day of his life.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Best day of his life.

I'm not sure what the pay structure is like, I'm assuming that some commission is involved. Apparently it happens often... I've heard similar stories at Tourneau, not at the same quantity, but high-end pieces ($100K+) are sold every day. There are only 3 or 4 sales people at the Patek boutique at Tiffany's, and I'm sure they all fare well.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best day of his life.

I'm not sure what the pay structure is like, I'm assuming that some commission is involved. Apparently it happens often... I've heard similar stories at Tourneau, not at the same quantity, but high-end pieces ($100K+) are sold every day. There are only 3 or 4 sales people at the Patek boutique at Tiffany's, and I'm sure they all fare well.
I was in the Chicago store this past summer when a *********** walked in with a list of Pateks that he wanted - two or three, IIRC. I was baffled, the SA was giddy as he suddenly lost all interest in discussing watches with me.

lasbar69

Reaction score
I was in the Chicago store this past summer when a *********** walked in with a list of Pateks that he wanted - two or three, IIRC. I was baffled, the SA was giddy as he suddenly lost all interest in discussing watches with me.

He must have thought "Why did I lose my time talking to that guy when I could have been serving this Chinese gentleman"???

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A friend of mine who works on 5th Ave took a picture of a young Chinese woman (mid 20's) who had about 40 shopping bags, all carried with assistance of course, from Tiffany's, Hermes, the Tourneau Rolex boutique, Coach, and at least 4 or 5 other stores I can't recall at the moment. It simply amazing. Hell, even at the other end, there are often roped lines to get into the Hollister or A&F stores on 5th Ave.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best day of his life.

I don't know how it is though for the SAs of high value/high markup lux products in China, but I understand it's not too good sometimes...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c903860-f498-11e0-a286-00144feab49a.html#axzz1erclESCI
Gucci announced it was replacing managers at its flagship store in the booming southern Chinese city of Shenzhen after allegations by five former employees they had been working in sweatshop conditions.

The former employees at the three-floor store in the Chinese city across the border from Hong Kong alleged they had been on their feet 12 hours a day and needed permission to drink water and for toilet breaks, which were limited to five minutes.

I wonder how much a Beijing SA makes if he/she manages to sell a 2 million yuan watch?

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moncler have luxury version of that...
Chinese must have copied then to death ..
Moncler are very expensive ...

I did see that Gap and C&A in Beijing have them. These felt like they where made from polythene bags as well, feels horrible I wouldn't want to wear them. What would the Moncler jackets be made from some kind of hi-tech fabric that feels better? I've not seen the Moncler ones in person, apart from knock-offs.

Didn't actually notice them last year, so it might be something that's in for this season?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A friend of mine who works on 5th Ave took a picture of a young Chinese woman (mid 20's) who had about 40 shopping bags, all carried with assistance of course, from Tiffany's, Hermes, the Tourneau Rolex boutique, Coach, and at least 4 or 5 other stores I can't recall at the moment. It simply amazing. Hell, even at the other end, there are often roped lines to get into the Hollister or A&F stores on 5th Ave.

Wait... is this that girl on purseforum who has an entire room dedicated to boutiquing her designer purses, and has six versions of the same $250,000 Hermes bag?

I don't know how it is though for the SAs of high value/high markup lux products in China, but I understand it's not too good sometimes...
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c903860-f498-11e0-a286-00144feab49a.html#axzz1erclESCI
Gucci announced it was replacing managers at its flagship store in the booming southern Chinese city of Shenzhen after allegations by five former employees they had been working in sweatshop conditions.
The former employees at the three-floor store in the Chinese city across the border from Hong Kong alleged they had been on their feet 12 hours a day and needed permission to drink water and for toilet breaks, which were limited to five minutes.

I wonder how much a Beijing SA makes if he/she manages to sell a 2 million yuan watch?

Feh. Kwilkie works in more punishing conditions.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This...I think it might be a watch.

...but why would it be so damn expensive, I mean it doesn't look expensive to me, it just looks fugly. The price is over 2 million yuan(RMB), that's like $300,000(USD)

im a watch fanatic, and i do appreciate the ingenuity that goes into a watch like that, and understand why the price is what it is, but i dont get why anyone in their right mind would actually wear it. it would be better served as a desk clock or conversation piece on a mantle.

i just dont get why i am not that rich. :(

also, i get that these people you all speak of are giant brand whoes, i would say i am too. but why are these people just buying whatever the hell is in the store, why dont they want to educate themselves about watches and buy the ones that they like instead of just buying it because it is there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads