Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was very nervous to pump gas for the first time. When I lived in Jersey we had minions to do it for us.

2. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I already have a nice tan, and it ain't even June yet. Shit totes cray.

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Why do people hire consultants and then not listen?

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

When you find out let me know, I have been wondering the same thing for years.

5. razl

razl Senior member

Conversely, it was the weirdest thing for me when I pulled into a gas station in Jersey and went to fill my tank and was told abruptly by the attendant that I wasn't allowed to do that, he would have to do it for me. When he asked me what grade to use I told him to use the cheap stuff (this was waaayyy back in the day when funds for alcohol were the highest priority) at which point he got nose to nose with me and said "Kid, you don't wanna put that camel piss in your tank". I took his advice and got the 93 octane.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why not? Most cars are actually designed to use regular unleaded.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I know you appreciate Piob's Life Wisdom so I'll go over this again for you. ;)

People hire consultants for two reasons:

1) The organization is doing something new and completely lack any internal expertise needed to successfully complete the new undertaking.

2) Some sort of CYA is needed. It could be internal politics or externally driven such as breaching a debt structure covenant.

Guess which case is the one where consultants are ignored.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. razl

razl Senior member

I got the sense that he made some vig off his sales in some way. Since I couldn't pump what I wanted, I was just a kid at the time, and he was in my face about it, I folded.

That said, I've still got a car that only needs 89 and feel like a get a little bonus everytime I fill up and see newer models that require 91 or 93. Geez, especially since it's not in .10 increments for grades. I saw the other day where "plus" was +.25 and "premium" was +.40 over that. Crazy.

9. razl

razl Senior member

I'll add a third:

3) to validate themselves

10. Piobaire

That's part of #2.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I work with branding so I'm not the green frog type of consultant, but I have experienced more than once I've have been hired to design market expansions for people and they have done shit, fast forward 3 years and they do a half assed version and fall flat (happened as late as a month ago).

12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'll add a fourth reason:

4) After much prayer, the Lord spoke directly into their hearts and said "Must needs hire of consultant."

13. Piobaire

That falls under #1 and they made the mistake of not listening to the expert they hired. Just because they hire you for the right reason doesn't mean they'll execute properly.

14. otc

otc Senior member

I don't think there are any cars out there except fancy performance cars (I mean fancy...gotta step above BMW/MB) or old cars that can't take 87 (or 89, depends on your market) octane.

There are some cars that can get dome more performance with higher octane (although most cars designed for 87, won't do better with 93), but thanks to the wonders of modern engine management systems, the cars will all run fine on 87 without knocking.

GF's M5 can squeak out a few more HP with high octane since they can advance the timing a bit and take advantage of the more compressible high octane fuel...but a lower octane fuel isn't going to break the car. Even BMW directly admits that while all of their performance and EPA numbers are based on 91 octane, the cars will run just fine on 87 or 89 (i.e. zero risk to the car, but slightly decreased hp/mileage)

If you want to have fun, go read forums where idiots who know nothing about the differences between gas types complain about station attendents who filled them with 87...the lengths they go in "protecting" their cars are hilarious. Keep the revs below 3k, run the tank bone dry before filling with "proper" gas, etc. On one M5 forum, somebody was claiming they get 600km per tank on 91 and only 350 on 89...that's simply not how gasoline engines work.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  15. otc

otc Senior member

I don't get people who are super picky about what gas they use.

"I only use Shell V-Power"
    "I've only used Chevron with Techron in it for the past 20 years"
    "Only idiots who don't care about their car use COSTCO gasoline"

wtf? Other than not wanting stale gas at a low-volume place...just buy the gas at whatever station comes up when you are empty.