1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just don't get

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Jul 3, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

If you are an average American, is there any other nationality you could get away with? Don't have the teeth to be British and aren't cool enough to be Australian.

When my dad backpacked through Europe in the 70s, he had a danish flag sewn on his pack...but his parents came from Denmark and he could speak some of the language. Sounded like it was good to be travelling as something non-american back then.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I read that earlier, and I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be satire or not. I didn't ponder it long, however, given it fails either way.

Also, I could definitely do the poutine thing, but my cover would be blown as soon as I graciously democratized my hosts.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is just pop psychology on my part but here's my take on this: it's self selection in action. The type of American that is likely to backpack in Europe is also the type of American that is also likely to be ashamed to be American because America is so powerful. Basically, more liberal/lefty/flower child/crunchy granola types are both more likely to backpack across Europe and not like US foreign policy so this creates the whole pretending not to be American abroad thing. I'm willing to bet if some creationist Republican kids when backpacking through Europe they would be plastered in Old Glory.

Just a thought.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Probably not that those guys don't travel...just they do and look for different things. If you go to Prague, the dude plastered in american flags might be hanging out with the chavs who have come down for a stag party in an irish pub. Those guys are probably having a great time being the token american with their new drinking buddies. The american-pretenders are probably doing something else.

Although I dunno. I certainly didn't pretend not to be american, and I don't think it matters much to the actual people you meet and hang out with. When you are actually eating with people you meet, they recognize that everyone is different and aren't going to stereotype based on your nationality. I think the only real reason to fake it is more to avoid theft/overcharging and stereotyping from service personnel.

If you are ever so far into the process that you are having to remember canadian holidays and customs, you are past the point where you derive any real benefit from pretending you are canadian. If anything, the people who are ashamed of america should be opening up to the people that they actually have extended conversations with and showing them how their thoughts differ from the stereotypes.

5. otc

otc Senior member

To the AZN americans, don't pretend you are chinese

AZN-canucks too

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I just noticed that otc's chicken avatar has a Santa hat

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I've gone backpacking through Europe twice. I did not pretend to be anything other than an American, but I had no stickers on my backpacks. I met plenty of people in Hostels who said "I should pretend to be something other than an American" but I never saw them actually do so. Since none of them could speak any other language or convincingly impersonate a foreign English accent they didn't really have any choice.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Maybe this myth is just something created and perpetuated by Canadians?

Hmm, maybe not. It seems Canada has the best reputation in the world: http://www.reputationinstitute.com/thought-leadership/country-reptrak

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

For many years during the early and mid 2000s, many of the people I interacted with thought I was Canadian. Even after I told them multiple times that I was not, they would casually refer to my being Canadian. I did have a Canadian fiancee once, so maybe I picked up some Canadian ways, but still.

Also, I do use "keen" way more than the average American does. I picked that up from my fiancee. On the other hand, I do not think the Barenaked Ladies are the Led Zeppelin of our era.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

For a short time there Obama had the best reputation in the world as a world leader. Look how that's turned out.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

hmmm, this seems pretty unlikely to me.

Don't most hotels just charge you upon first arrival and then sort out the difference when you leave?

That's how it's always worked for me, and I imagine that that sorts out most of the fraud or enough for it not to be a massive deal.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, I don't buy it.

Once in europe, credit card acceptance seems pretty standard. Last time I was there (2009), I don't recall using very much cash...just used credit everywhere, especially in restaurants.

Its not that the hotels can't accept CCs (as I mentioned, they can do it over email...but that's just a terribly insecure thing to do), they just seem used to taking wire transfers for deposits and had no convenient way to process CCs without the card being present to swipe.

14. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Uhh, was just going to make a small purchase and looked up my paypal balance. Turns out some random dude from Israel paid me over $3,700. I have no idea why. Called and got the fees for the transaction returned to me and then refunded the entire amount. It was all strangely stressful, and now I'm paranoid that something weird is up.

15. why

why Senior member

How does that sort out fraud issues?

Anyway, a lot of merchants don't take credit cards in Europe because of the costs associated with it as well.

I can say though that the only trouble I've had using a credit card at a European hotel was caused by the bank.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

lol... the weird part is you returned $3,700!

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I'll admit I've done this having traveled to many a sketchy country where it's better just not to stir the pot so to speak. Posing as Canadian is easier.. although I lived in Australia for quite a time and can fool even native Aussies for a while that I'm Australian. :)

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I vaguely remember someone pointing this out, but I can't remember if it was this thread or even this forum...

But I don't get how when you google any female celebrity, the look-ahead function always shows the search term "celebrity's name" + feet. WTF?! Have the foot fetishists taken over the Internet?

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

thank god I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

I don't have any sort of foot fetish. I can understand nice feet being a good thing on a woman, but I can't understand the sexuality of it (Greg Fitzimmons does have a couple funny bits on his foot fetish though).

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

ah, so it was this thread!!!

it's kind of creepy too. two girls were talking outside my office about someone named Sarah Hyland, who i didn't know so i decided to google. "Sarah Hyland feet" was the second search term, which is really creepy, because i found out she's one of those actresses who plays high school girls and looks like she's 13.