• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surprised it wasn't "Liquor Supplies Low."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So my jag-you-are has one of those alert centers that displays various messages like "low windshield fluid" or as in the case below, "low outside temperature." Last night I had a dream that I was driving and the alert center came on and read "Avocado supplies depleted." And it's strange, because it's true that I don't have any avocados at home or in the car. Even stranger is that I got out of the car and checked in the upper right hand corner of the trunk where the avocados are normally located and there weren't any there. Now, keep in mind that there isn't any actual avocado supply depot in my car. But I was sure there was one last night.

******* weird.

Was my girlfriend using the avocados in her hair? That's what she does with mine...

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tennis players that make silly noises... like "HOOOOO!" every time they swing their rackets.

Why chicken flavour instant noodle smells just like Araldite?

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why people always say, after winning something, that it's "humbling."

At some level, I suppose I kind of understand how if you win Wimbledon once and you're now in the company of all the greats who won Wimbledon, maybe it's kind of humbling. But even then, it's a shitload more humbling to be the guy you just beat.

What really triggered this was Shaun White saying it's humbling to have won six X Games golds in superpipe or whatever they call it. How is that humbling at all? You're the winningest guy, like, probably ever in this crap. There's no humility to be found in winning it again. Do you know what the word means, or are you just saying it because that's what you heard some Wimbledon champ say?

Oh, and since we're on the topic.......

X Games.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a very perceptive comment. You should be humbled to have thought of it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the paper today, there’s a picture of Tessa Jowell, receiving her damehood at Buckingham Palace. She looks very nice in a smart red coat and hat, holding up the medal in a silk-lined box, family around in morning suits, camera bulbs flashing. Dame Tessa says: “This is so overwhelming, it’s a most extraordinary honour and I feel really humbled by it.”

It reminds me of the Oscars last year, where Gary Oldman was nominated and said this was “extremely humbling.”

Kevin Pietersen said it was “humbling” when he got a standing ovation for scoring a century.

THAT’S NOT HUMBLING.

NONE OF THIS IS HUMBLING.

THIS IS ALL THE OPPOSITE OF HUMBLING.

It’s an infuriating trend, which is only going to get worse; award winners will soon be saying they feel “humbled by the experience” as often as they salute their fellow nominees or thank their agents. But being HUMBLE is to have a LOW ESTIMATE OF ONE’S IMPORTANCE. Being humbled by someone else means: SOMEONE ELSE LOWERING YOUR ESTIMATE OF YOUR OWN IMPORTANCE. It would be humbling to score 0 at the cricket. To be overlooked for awards. To be ignored in the street by an old friend. To have your trousers fall down on the bus. And various other things that you don’t get a round of applause for. (Though I think I might definitely give someone a round of applause if their trousers fell down on the bus). (Not flashers).

There is a sub-meaning of the verb “to humble” which means “to lower someone’s rank or status”, eg, to take someone’s knighthood away - like, you know, as in, LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF BEING MADE A DAME.

Being feted, applauded, honoured, awarded… these things make people feel proud and puffed up! Fair enough. Good luck to them. Nothing wrong with feeling proud of yourself. But they need to stop saying it makes them feel humble. That translates, I think, as: “Today I feel like a big fat royal genius, all amazing and special and better than everyone, but I can simultaneously dispel the jealousy that all the lesser people must inevitably feel, by saying it has brought on a bout of tremendous worthlessness and low self-esteem. Then they will also love me, as well as being obliged to bow and call me Your Grace.”

Well, it’s stupid. Stop doing it everyone. Or keep doing it, for the language must live and change, mustn’t it? And soon the dictionary can carry two meanings of the word “humble”: (1) modest, unpretentious, lowly or abased, (2) feeling like a big shiny great lord of the universe because you just won a thing and everyone’s clapping.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In the paper today, there’s a picture of Tessa Jowell, receiving her damehood at Buckingham Palace. She looks very nice in a smart red coat and hat, holding up the medal in a silk-lined box, family around in morning suits, camera bulbs flashing. Dame Tessa says: “This is so overwhelming, it’s a most extraordinary honour and I feel really humbled by it.”

It reminds me of the Oscars last year, where Gary Oldman was nominated and said this was “extremely humbling.”

Kevin Pietersen said it was “humbling” when he got a standing ovation for scoring a century.

THAT’S NOT HUMBLING.

NONE OF THIS IS HUMBLING.

THIS IS ALL THE OPPOSITE OF HUMBLING.

It’s an infuriating trend, which is only going to get worse; award winners will soon be saying they feel “humbled by the experience” as often as they salute their fellow nominees or thank their agents. But being HUMBLE is to have a LOW ESTIMATE OF ONE’S IMPORTANCE. Being humbled by someone else means: SOMEONE ELSE LOWERING YOUR ESTIMATE OF YOUR OWN IMPORTANCE. It would be humbling to score 0 at the cricket. To be overlooked for awards. To be ignored in the street by an old friend. To have your trousers fall down on the bus. And various other things that you don’t get a round of applause for. (Though I think I might definitely give someone a round of applause if their trousers fell down on the bus). (Not flashers).

There is a sub-meaning of the verb “to humble” which means “to lower someone’s rank or status”, eg, to take someone’s knighthood away - like, you know, as in, LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF BEING MADE A DAME.

Being feted, applauded, honoured, awarded… these things make people feel proud and puffed up! Fair enough. Good luck to them. Nothing wrong with feeling proud of yourself. But they need to stop saying it makes them feel humble. That translates, I think, as: “Today I feel like a big fat royal genius, all amazing and special and better than everyone, but I can simultaneously dispel the jealousy that all the lesser people must inevitably feel, by saying it has brought on a bout of tremendous worthlessness and low self-esteem. Then they will also love me, as well as being obliged to bow and call me Your Grace.”

Well, it’s stupid. Stop doing it everyone. Or keep doing it, for the language must live and change, mustn’t it? And soon the dictionary can carry two meanings of the word “humble”: (1) modest, unpretentious, lowly or abased, (2) feeling like a big shiny great lord of the universe because you just won a thing and everyone’s clapping.

:nodding:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When sports and entertainment figures say something is "humbling" it means their publicist has determined there is an issue with the public persona and this is designed to address that.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Joseph A. Bank stocks are down over 17% today. Did we maybe have something to do with that?

:confused:

Do you mean JaB stock is down, like in a Dow Jones kinda way, or the JaB stocks are down, as in people are really taking advantage of the 3-for-1 sale? I suppose SF's effect on either is possible...

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jos. A Bank is so great because you can buy one suit, and then they just give you two more and you don't have to pay for them, just for the one. Of course the three suits together aren't worth the price you pay for one, but that is just nitpicking.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jos. A Bank is so great because you can buy one suit, and then they just give you two more and you don't have to pay for them, just for the one. Of course the three suits together aren't worth the price you pay for one, but that is just nitpicking.

They're like the BMG music club of men's clothing.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my freshman year roomie was a preppie kid form bal'mor whose shirts were all from jab - i had never heard of thestore before think it was a very different company back then (late 70s) as the shirts seemed indistuinguisable (mabe even a little better?) than brooks bros

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I have much less hate for JAB than most on here.

Their stuff is actually not that horrible, is of higher quality than other mass-marketed tailored men's clothing where ppl would normally go for that sort of thing (e.g. Men's Wearhouse), remains relatively true to the more classic tenets of men's clothing (meaning not getting as trendy as some others), and provides generally solid value for the average, non-SF suit wearer. For my friends who want an interview and wedding suit that's not going to fall apart and might have them looking relatively decent and don't care about the SF minutiae, JAB is actually a pretty solid recommendation. Of all the MC mass-marketers, JAB is probably the most SF compliant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics