• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuptial High Mass. I understand people have actually filmed them.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Destination weddings" is another thing people having one should not ***** at non-attendees about. So someone doesn't find YOUR wedding worth spending their hard earned lucre and vacation time on and you're upset? **** you.

Exactly.

About ten years ago, a (former) friend decided to get married in a small, stone church on a small island about 2000km from where we live, and he wanted me to be his best man. He had no links to this place at all - it was just that he and his fiance thought it looked nice, so they wanted everyone to travel there to be with them, at the guests' own cost. There was no public transport, so you had to hire a car once you flew into to a town about 150km away, and there was very little accommodation and it was "boutique" and expensive.

I said no and explained that I had young children and couldn't afford either the time or the expense of attending his wedding. He got really pissed off and stopped speaking with me. I heard on the grapevine that he and his wife broke up about two years after their romantic wedding.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly.

About ten years ago, a (former) friend decided to get married in a small, stone church on a small island about 2000km from where we live, and he wanted me to be his best man. He had no links to this place at all - it was just that he and his fiance thought it looked nice, so they wanted everyone to travel there to be with them, at the guests' own cost. There was no public transport, so you had to hire a car once you flew into to a town about 150km away, and there was very little accommodation and it was "boutique" and expensive.

I said no and explained that I had young children and couldn't afford either the time or the expense of attending his wedding. He got really pissed off and stopped speaking with me. I heard on the grapevine that he and his wife broke up about two years after their romantic wedding.

About 14 years ago, I rcd a call at work from a good friend on a Monday. He was headed to the Dominican Republic to marry his GF/mom of his child...who I also know well(we all grew up in the same 'hood.)

He said that no one from his side was going. I mean NO ONE. His GF is Dominican so all her family was already there or going to be there and the wedding was to be held at her grandfather's house. Plus..he needed a best man....aka...me.

He URGED me to come just for the wknd. Oh....he was leaving THAT FRIDAY. I figured.....a nice 3 day vacation to DR can't be bad. I knew most of her family who live in NY...so I wouldn't feel like a stranger.

I was able to get on their flight going/coming. We stayed in the town where she was from. Cold Presidente beers every morning. Beach in the afternoon with fresh fish/rice cooked by the shacks at the back of the beach.

Strip club/lounge after the wedding! Just a great time. I am so glad I went. I only had to use 1 vacation day for the Monday after and we actually got her 15yr old nephew to pop his cherry at the club/lounge with this really good looking tall blonde!

After the wedding...everyone had cake that someone in town made. I never really do desert so I passed. Everyone got sick. They think it was the eggs used to make the cake. That was the only drawback for THEM.

I am so glad I went. Didn't need to spend much. Airfare and some spending $. I took some great flicks and will never forget that.

People need to be open and flexible when having a destination wedding and understand that everyone isn't a single/no kids/pick up and go dude like me!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check this out, i actually have a “destination baptism” to attend later this year. I’ll be godfather to the daughter of one of my closest friends. I was consulted before this decision was made, and honestly, there isn’t much i wouldn’t do for this friend, so i’m not complaining by any means. Just letting you guys know that you have other “destination” events to look forward to if this catches on.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check this out, i actually have a “destination baptism” to attend later this year. I’ll be godfather to the daughter of one of my closest friends. I was consulted before this decision was made, and honestly, there isn’t much i wouldn’t do for this friend, so i’m not complaining by any means. Just letting you guys know that you have other “destination” events to look forward to if this catches on.
My friend who I went to HS with but now lives in Hoboken with his fiance has a large famiy, like 7 or 8 other siblings. He always gets picked to be the godfather of all their kids because his 2 oldest brothers are deadbeats. He always has to fly down back to Houston for the godfather ceremony. I think he's godfather to 4 of his brothers' and sisters' kids.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?

Mom who adopted Ukranian girl, six, with dwarfism has been charged with abandonment but claims her 'daughter' was found to be a 22-year old 'sociopath' masquerading as a child

4D3A8FFA-1D3E-49C3-A592-0B28B041CDDE.JPG

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I could understand a destination baptism(and wedding, etc.) If the couple live out of state, then the baptism will most likely be held in that state. I don't understand...let's have the baptism in Montego Bay....just because we always wanted to go there....and expect everyone to jump at that.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?

Mom who adopted Ukranian girl, six, with dwarfism has been charged with abandonment but claims her 'daughter' was found to be a 22-year old 'sociopath' masquerading as a child

Of course they found her at an orphanage in Florida.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Huh?

I’ve seen this movie.

352E08AE-A470-44E1-92A3-0F79DB1AF557.jpeg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coffee people and the fact that they think that they can't function without a cup in the AM.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alphalabscbdus