• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
My job.
facepalm.gif
Rumor is layoffs are coming. Pick me, pick me!

laugh.gif
er, I mean ...
frown.gif

Having one of those days post-holiday blues, huh? Yeah, turkey will do that to you ... (if it applies that is, then like me, really, a week long trial and come home to uh turkey something or other ... oh, boy: time for something else ... ). Honestly all jokes aside, hear you: a holiday after the holidays is always in order! Cheers, and best of luck. (and here's hoping they pick you for something better
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
laugh.gif
er, I mean ...
frown.gif

Having one of those days post-holiday blues, huh? Yeah, turkey will do that to you ... (if it applies that is, then like me, really, a week long trial and come home to uh turkey something or other ... oh, boy: time for something else ... ). Honestly all jokes aside, hear you: a holiday after the holidays is always in order! Cheers, and best of luck. (and here's hoping they pick you for something better
smile.gif

Well, I'm at a company that gets progressively worse. I was previously trying to get into their corporate division, but honestly, they don't want to take me (they see me as a sales person, regardless as to how qualified I am to do the 30 or 40 corporate positions that I have seen open up since May), and I no longer want to work for them. So, nothing will happen with this company.

I have been searching vigorously for another job, but so far no luck, because if it was that easy to find a better job I would have done so already. Plus, since I'm 100% commission and the next three months are super slow (think $27 for a week paycheck...to say nothing of $0 paychecks), I'll have to eat up whatever savings I have left for a job that leaves me depressed, mentally exhausted (from lack of mental activity) and physically tired from standing for 8 hours a day.

I really don't want to be forced into collecting unemployment, but unless I miraculously get another job soon, it'll be the only way I can keep my studio, keep eating and keep my sanity.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, I'm at a company that gets progressively worse. I was previously trying to get into their corporate division, but honestly, they don't want to take me (they see me as a sales person, regardless as to how qualified I am to do the 30 or 40 corporate positions that I have seen open up since May), and I no longer want to work for them. So, nothing will happen with this company.

I have been searching vigorously for another job, but so far no luck, because if it was that easy to find a better job I would have done so already. Plus, since I'm 100% commission and the next three months are super slow (think $27 for a week paycheck...to say nothing of $0 paychecks), I'll have to eat up whatever savings I have left for a job that leaves me depressed, mentally exhausted (from lack of mental activity) and physically tired from standing for 8 hours a day.

I really don't want to be forced into collecting unemployment, but unless I miraculously get another job soon, it'll be the only way I can keep my studio, keep eating and keep my sanity.

Not to dig you into a further depression, but I think you have to be fired in order to collect unemployment although i'm not sure if that differs from you having a 100% commission job. What kind of sales are you in and where are you located? If you have good sales number, you may want to look into being a pharmaceutical sales rep. Most companies give you a car (or they allow you to expense X amount per month), phone, internet, gas, etc and you meet doctors all day and bring them lunch (you get to eat as well!). My roommate does it and it doesn't seem like a bad gig.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really get the sense that one of our editors is trying to either marginalize me entirely.

Like, in the past few weeks he's started to take over **** I normally do and kind of dictating to me more and more what I need to do which is bullshit because, well, I handle **** Stateside, he doesn't. He's also trying to take over assigning stories and the flow of stories we publish. Something that is explicitly assigned to me. Every story idea I've proposed lately he's been the only one to shoot it down, often harshly and infront of others.

So I'm trying to figure out why. We rarely have to interact in person so maybe it's being lost over email but I doubt it. He used to run a publication and I think he may be considering how to completely take over this one (there's been talk about it being sold, we're OK with that). Or he just doesn't want to work with me/wants to keep me in my place/wants to get rid of me. If he's put in charge of anything else, I'm going to leave immediately though, so I hope that doesn't happen.

TBH, I'm more than a little shocked as we've always gotten along real well when on assignment with each other and we're friends. Or were, I don't know.

Really just don't know what to do. I kind of can't turn to anyone in our Atlanta newsroom as he's kind of sold me out in front of people plus I run day-to-day stuff so its like a roundtable, but I'm chairman, as it were, so I'm essentially asking subordinates to help out, which I don't want to do. I don't want to tell the bosses, just because. I don't want to have a fight with him... ****.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
had to put on the 'discipline dad' hat on last night. 2nd kid was upset I turned off the tv and started pushing me and acted up and all that. made her stand in a corner for the first time and she was all terrified. hate it when **** like this has to happen.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Not to dig you into a further depression, but I think you have to be fired in order to collect unemployment although i'm not sure if that differs from you having a 100% commission job. What kind of sales are you in and where are you located? If you have good sales number, you may want to look into being a pharmaceutical sales rep. Most companies give you a car (or they allow you to expense X amount per month), phone, internet, gas, etc and you meet doctors all day and bring them lunch (you get to eat as well!). My roommate does it and it doesn't seem like a bad gig.

No. Being 'fired' for certain things, being late, insubordination, etc. Lack of performance, laid off, etc... all will lead you to unemployment. I've read the law. People have already been laid off from my job, and they have gotten the max allowable under unemployment.

robotosan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
had to put on the 'discipline dad' hat on last night. 2nd kid was upset I turned off the tv and started pushing me and acted up and all that. made her stand in a corner for the first time and she was all terrified. hate it when **** like this has to happen.

how old is she?

Ben85

Reaction score
I was in a minor fender-bender a month ago and still haven't received the cheque to fix my car. I ******* hate insurance companies.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
an acquaintance, or maybe a friend - the father of a friend of my son and the husband of a friend of my wife, was laid off today. he lost his job about 2 and a half years ago, and was out of work for almost 18 months, then got a job about a year ago. I am pretty sure that he emptied out any savings they might have had during the first period, and haven't had a chance to replenish them. and the wife doesn't work. I am not sure what he does, but it doesn't seem to be an easy job to replace. ironically, the company that laid him off the first time, bought the second company that laid him off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads