• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Una vez construi un ordenador de arena utilizando ramitas y trozos de cuerda

Jaime, perdiste la habilidad a razonar...
confused.gif

Jon.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
When people have foreign names and expect you to pronounce it with a foreign accent.

I believe that this is part of every job interview at NPR.

Reminds me of the SNL skit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
As far as foreign pronunciations, it does grate me a little when people order a 'kra-SANNNT' in that stereotypical Noo Yawk accent. Years of French class put me in the habit of using the 'authentic' pronunciation, but in order to sound less pretentious at the local coffee shop, I eventually adopted a sort of middleground 'cruh-SAWNT'.
I consider it an admirable skill to be able to use foreign words, pronounced reasonably correctly (i.e. for the most part in their native pronunciation), in English conversation without sounding like a douche.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I consider it an admirable skill to be able to use foreign words, pronounced reasonably correctly (i.e. for the most part in their native pronunciation), in English conversation without sounding like a douche.
Ha! Well, I didn't pronounce it like Niles Crane, if that's what you mean.
laugh.gif

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

How are you pronouncing douche?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are these recruiting posters in the subway in montreal for CAs. They imitate the cover of top of the charts music magazines. They're trying to make accountants look cool or something. They really piss me off b/c they stare you in the face and they have these people wearing the most ghetto ******* outfits imaginable. They have it all: AmJack, stripey shirts, torn jackets, ugly ass t-shirts, and marsupialed hair cuts. The men all have this stupid serious/"look how cool I am" look on their faces. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Whoever picked the clothing for those photos should be skinned alived, doused in gasoline, and set ablaze. Just thinking about them is irritating.

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
"Dowch", right? (hard "ch")
laugh.gif

If touche is commonly pronounced "tooshay," then shouldn't douche be pronouced "dooshay"? (though I know the "ay" sound makes it sound future tense in the French use.)

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeSica
laugh.gif

If touche is commonly pronounced "tooshay," then shouldn't douche be pronouced "dooshay"? (though I know the "ay" sound makes it sound future tense in the French use.)

TouchÃ
00a9.png
has the accent on the e, which gives it the ay sound.

Would pronouncing douche dou-shay be a douchey thing to do?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Saying dou-shay would mean past tense, so like, someone who was once a douche.

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
TouchÃ
00a9.png
has the accent on the e, which gives it the ay sound.

Would pronouncing douche dou-shay be a douchey thing to do?

Right...accent eglec, I believe. It might be douchey, unless you were speaking French.

J, is Elle va doucher or Elle va se doucher correct in any way...I know it isn't proper futur simple or futur anterieur, but it just strikes me as passable in conversation (and what a conversation.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am not too up on my French, but I think those constructions are right. Elle a douche' (accent aigu) would mean 'she washed' while Elle va doucher would mean 'she went to wash', etc. Someone can correct me.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Someone can correct me.
No, this is too funny.

BTW, in French a douche is a shower. Yes, I have met a male French exchange student who told me that he douched in the morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads