• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Jim Belushi's nail on the coffin that is the Belushi name

laugh.gif

You just saved me having to explain a cheesy sitcom, and in the most fitting way imagineable.

He was good in Michael Mann's Thief (one of the greatest American films ever made), and then it was all downhill from there.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When people have foreign names and expect you to pronounce it with a foreign accent.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
When people have foreign names and expect you to pronounce it with a foreign accent.
Agreed. It really breaks the flow of a sentence to radically change pronunciation.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
*snicker* Wait, tie collector, how were you pronouncing "chipotle"? *snicker*

There's a difference between adopting an accent to pronounce a word and simply using the closest approximation in the language you're speaking. The guy correcting you was probably just trying to keep you from sounding like a rube.

[Unless he was insisting that you adopt an accent when you say the word, in which case I agree, that's lame]

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, I approximate pronunciation as closely as the English language will allow without sounding awkward. Accents in the correct places, etc. I also speak Spanish, which makes it even more annoying.
Una vez construi un ordenador de arena utilizando ramitas y trozos de cuerda

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, it gets even more obnoxious with Spanish speakers describing food or booze. The other day I was talking to another co-worker and the conversation went like this:

Me: I'm getting food at Chipotle.

background spanish speaker: chee-POT-lay

co-worker: cool, lemme give you some cash.

me: Do you know what time Chipotle closes?

co-worker: I dunno, I'm sure it's still open.
pronounciation
me: alright, Chipotle it is:

Then there is always listening to Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network to get the same effect in Italian.

Some people pronounce Chipotle: chih-pol-tay, which sounds very wrong to my ears. I find nothing wrong with pronouncing it chih-pote-lay, though.. which is roughly how I say it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Some people pronounce Chipotle: chih-pol-tay, which sounds very wrong to my ears. I find nothing wrong with pronouncing it chih-pote-lay, though.. which is roughly how I say it.

There is a soda cup they have which lists the most frequently used mispronunciations on the side. There are ones I hadn't thought of.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeSica
laugh.gif

You just saved me having to explain a cheesy sitcom, and in the most fitting way imagineable.

He was good in Michael Mann's Thief (one of the greatest American films ever made), and then it was all downhill from there.

Jim Belushi got me at "Curly Sue"
confused.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
No, I approximate pronunciation as closely as the English language will allow without sounding awkward. Accents in the correct places, etc. I also speak Spanish, which makes it even more annoying.

In that case, my apologies. One of my friends here on the East Coast pronounces it... lemme see if I can figure out how to represent this... "Chih-POE-tul". It cracks me up every time, but when I've tried to explain how to pronounce it, he gets annoyed and insists that since he doesn't speak Spanish, he doesn't need to know how to pronounce it. So, sorry for projecting his issues onto you.
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The root of the problem, though, is that you are going to Chipotle in the first place.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as foreign pronunciations, it does grate me a little when people order a 'kra-SANNNT' in that stereotypical Noo Yawk accent. Years of French class put me in the habit of using the 'authentic' pronunciation, but in order to sound less pretentious at the local coffee shop, I eventually adopted a sort of middleground 'cruh-SAWNT'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads