Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Man that is the definition of a shittay week. Hope the weekend is a big improvement.

This reminds me of the last conversation I had with my grandmother before Alzheimer's claimed her. I read your post a while back about wanting a quick death sooner rather than later and I couldn't agree more. At some point the person that you knew your whole life is gone and what is left behind is a shell of a human being. It sounds like you're close to that point now and I don't envy your position. I wish you the best of luck.

In all seriousness, does somebody have power of attorney over her? I had an uncle who was making some shady moves and I encouraged my mom to petition for PoA over her mother before he could wreak too much damage.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

very sad. I wouldn't know what to do if I was in your situation.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I get pissed of that things like that can destroy whole families and cause siblings to turn into blood rivals. My parents are in the process of selling off their properties and you can just see all the cousins rounding like blood thirsty wolves. I recently signed over all my potential shares divided 50/50 to my sister and brother. We are all doing well financially, but I just don't want any of that stress, plus I don't really need it financially.

My wife on the other hand? Even more land and more vicious relatives and 7 siblings to split up their pie. I begged my wife just to let that shit go and sign it over (she makes almost 3x my salary and definitely doesn't need it) but it looks like she's prepared to fight nail and tooth for her birthright.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Your wife is right...

She is fighting for her share of the pie and there is nothing wrong with that...

Inheritance feuds are not only about money but also jealousy , hatred , envy and so on...

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Luckily I am father's favorite so I have the entire fortune coming my way. Who cares about siblings?

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

My wife and I both tell our parents the exact same thing, "I hope you spend your last dollar on the day you die". Both of our parents have worked hard and saved well for every dollar they've acquired and I want them to enjoy their golden years (which my parents do an exceptional job).

We'll work hard and save our own money.

Even if there were an inheritance, we both have one sibling each and they are both very non-material and fair minded.

7. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Did you get anything in return or was it just a gift?

8. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Damn. I've never known a girl who was an asshole. So much for hoping brooo :/

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

there was a big sit down about two years ago with our family lawyer and all concerned parties just as my parents were starting to sell off properties. when it was my turn to speak I asked if I could give up my potential share to my brother and sister split 50:50, my parents were actually cool with it, but my brother and sister were actually angry at me at first thinking I was stupid for giving it up.

my reasoning is that I don't want to deal with the property taxes and other legalities in addition to the stress of dealing with siblings and other family when the time comes. a lot of the time (especially with big things like very large plots of land and luxury items like large boats) the taxes/expenses alone can be a huge burden.

my parents paid for my education and helped out a ton when I was newly married. whatever they earned should belong to them.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

damn, I do not envy you for what lies ahead on that front. My grandmother had dementia for a few years, but it was not as bad as Mrs T's gma's case. That was a hair-raising few years.

We're talking about doing the same, but the only other heir is my brother and he's not really up to the task of managing the ranch.

My mom's cousins have been in legal battle after legal battle on behalf of their estranged dad who is now trying to contest his divorce to his now-dead ex-wife, in order to claim a share of her family's ranch (different place)

My mother still simmers for being cut out of her prospective share of that family's ranch (third property), that was her parents' generation and even now she gets pissed just talking about it.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Is your last name Ewing?

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

hah, nope.

Two of the ranches are in Mexico (and I have absolutely zero interest in even visiting them), one was bought by my great grandfather when he came from Spain, and the other came into the family by marriage. Been in the family for some 100 years or so and just now the great-uncle is talking about drilling for gas, but it's not like he needs the $. I really need to visit them again, but not take my parents along this time.

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Jamie says I should take more initiative. :crackup:

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Reading this last page makes me realize how coming from a dirt poor family really kept a lot of stress out of my life.

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

lol. Poverty is the only thing that's been in my family for the past 100 years.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011