Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, it's less about the money and more a matter of people elevating it in importance above familial relations. Now, when your family doesn't have a lot of love to spread around, you're kind of hosed rich or poor, but at least when you're poor the incentive to knife your siblings for material gain is a lot lower.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

This sort of discussion makes me glad I only have one sibling and my wife doesn't have any.

My mom had six sisters and two brothers when her mother died. They'd always been pretty close and it was sad seeing how much damage was done by the fight over the (minimal) estate. Couple years later and things are still dicey, lots of harm was done over not a lot of money.

3. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

+1 on that!

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

my extended families on both sides had past issues with money and the division of it- then again I'm chinese and that's a fucking common occurrence in chinese families. anyway, I agree with you regarding your wife. if you don't see the need for that money other than her right (which is true, but imo unnecessary) then she should just let go and save herself and you years of stress and conflict and a lot of bullshit. also at least she still has the relationship with her family. I've known people who did just that and walked away from a lot of inheritance and family money and none of them has shown regret- at least in public

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

funny thing. was just talking to my grandfather about how much of a mess there is gonna be with regards to his estate. his home is my dream home (big old Victorian in the middle of the city) and I know if any of his kids get it, they'll sell it right away for the millions. I wouldn't, I'd just renovate and keep it in the family for another 60 years.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I am the roommates good luck charm. Unfortunately, I am all alone while he is hooking up with a hot chick. Story of my life, I suppose.

7. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I stand to inherit some money somewhere in the future, but I can't for the life of me imagine it will cause strife within my family. Reading above accounts I should post that in the Things..happy-thread.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I've seen/heard/read so much stories about tight knit families that imploded because of money. I'm acquainted with one very, very rich lady who's locked in battle with a sibling over the family's vast assets and the sibling even had her, their mother and another sibling jailed for some trumped up charge. I also know of one set of siblings fighting over control of their pretty large holding company and in one board room battle someone brought up the time a sibling poisoned his fish tank when they were kids.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

+1.

my wife's family had some money, and my wife's mother and her two brothers are at each other's throats, they hate each other, and it all comes down to the division of what money is left. I'd honestly very glad that isn't my problem

10. globetrotter

I closed up the year and got the final numbers in - so I ended up with 0.5% above my target, which wasn't easy as you might think. I was working hard not just ot hit the number, but also not to go to high, getting too high would screw me on my next years target. so monday I'll put in orders for about 30% of my next years target.

last week I gave a bottle of very top end gin to the guy who is in charge of inputting incoming orders and keep ing track of the numbers. completly unrelated, he was able to help me make sure that exactly the right amount was put in, which meant a lot of juggling to fit the exact right amount of orders in.

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I's ok broseph. I slept over at this girl's house last night and didn't get any. :(

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

garbage men/recycling collectors scratching my bumper by dragging the container(s) across them. I know thats a price you have to pay with tight Brooklyn Parking on the Street, but damn it still sucks to see scratches on the bumper that aren't your fault.

I really miss old school rubber bumpers. Maybe I'll just get one of those clear 3M bumper bras, but it might be too late now.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

why is this pissing you off?

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. Seems like a reason to be happy, a call for celebration. No?

15. globetrotter

sorry my mistake, this was quoted from a previous "pissing me off" but it all came out well. perfectly, actually