1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Yacht Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by WoodyStylee, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

^ That is awesome [​IMG]

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Burger Boats, some of the finest made. And of course, Paul Allen's 420 ft monstrosity...

[​IMG]

Decadent fucking code-cruncher...

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Ours: 1963 S&S yawl

[​IMG]

and a builder's shot:

[​IMG]

4. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

I've heard the boat business has been horrible recently. A nearby dealership is liquidating.
    Yes, the market kinda sucks right now. But it's similar to real estate in the sense that the people who CAN buy, are doing so now. I sold a boat 2 days before christmas.....the buyers are out there, but yes, sales are down. and that Koons boat is fucking horrendous. Looks like a marine engineer and a brooklyn hipster took some acid and designed a boat together

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Ours: 1963 S&S yawl

[​IMG]

Beautiful.

6. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    +1! I'm not some tacky Russian or Persian. Sails, FTW.

I like the larger ones that still employ sails.

Skylge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate that most "nice" yachts seem to have tacky interiors.

7. robin

robin Senior member

Yes, the market kinda sucks right now. But it's similar to real estate in the sense that the people who CAN buy, are doing so now. I sold a boat 2 days before christmas.....the buyers are out there, but yes, sales are down.
    Can you share what the buying process is like? And what if someone wanted a new custom boat built for them - would they go through a broker like you or would they go straight to a ship maker?

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Can you share the buying process is like? And what if someone wanted a new custom boat built for them - would they go through a broker like you or would they go straight to a ship maker?

I'm interested in this as well. When someone wants to commission a megayacht like Pelorus or some of the others in the thread, where do they start?

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I'm interested in this as well. When someone wants to commission a megayacht like Pelorus or some of the others in the thread, where do they start?

Call your favorite marine architect and have your checkbook ready. Once you have a design, then you'd pick a builder. This would be for a totally custom job. For a "stock" model you'd contact the builder's agents.

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

11. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

J class yachts are so beautiful, I don't know why but they have so much more impact on me than those plastic looking mega yachts.
    For motorboats I do dig wally though, a stealthy badguy boat that is the complete opposite of the j class yachts.

12. suited

suited Senior member

Is Ft Lauderdale still the yacht capital of the U.S.? I've heard that the upkeep on the bigger boats is roughly 10% of the sale price. Meaning Paul Allen would spend about 20 million a year just docking, cleaning and paying his crew (I read he has a full-time crew of 65 ppl).

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I have a weak spot for huge yachts with sails and the the expedition class yachts that can really take you around the world... [​IMG]

14. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Wally,the design is awesome.although i dont know what kind of resale it would have.

15. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

Can you share what the buying process is like? And what if someone wanted a new custom boat built for them - would they go through a broker like you or would they go straight to a ship maker?
    I dont have much experience with large megayacht commissioned builds, but the prospected buyer would most likely go through a broker that specializes in large commissions (there are a few companies that deal exclusively with megayachts) A typical large yacht buyer (probably 70ft up to 150-170ft) would get a 'semi-custom' yacht, meaning the hull (or framework) of the boat is standard for that particular model, and the buyer has full customizable control over the stateroom layout (to an extent), interior and flooring color/material, kitchen layout and appliance options, wood finish colors, engine and generator options, etc. etc. This is the most common form of a new build, mainly because the build time is much quicker than a full out custom build. The buyer would go through a broker, which helps them with deciding the yacht options based on the type of use the boat will get, deal with contracts/documentation, deadlines, international buying and shipping issues (very common in this industry), and negotiating prices, and sometimes helping the owner hire a crew. I almost wish i got a law degree, now that I know how much we deal with international contracts and constituencies. I am fairly new in the industry, so I havent personally done much with custom builds (although my company does a lot of them). I deal a lot with helping current yacht owners find buyers for their yachts, and helping potential buyers find a particular yacht that theyre interested in.

16. Gherkins

Gherkins Senior member

Couldn't resist... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Beta

Beta Senior member

Yes, the market kinda sucks right now. But it's similar to real estate in the sense that the people who CAN buy, are doing so now. I sold a boat 2 days before christmas.....the buyers are out there, but yes, sales are down.

and that Koons boat is fucking horrendous. Looks like a marine engineer and a brooklyn hipster took some acid and designed a boat together

Our customers are basically the same people and I had deliveries 22, 23, AND 24th of Dec.

For the guys asking about custom build time...my last big sale was for a boat that was apparently commissioned 3 years ago. Something like 10mil Euro. Paid me a little over 50 for the tender. And the deal was done mainly through blackberry.

18. Nantucket Red

I couldn't resist posting a pic of the Wasp.

[​IMG]

19. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Do any of you yacht fellows have a source for a photo of The Constellation? It's a former TransPac class A winner 76-foot schooner on which I did a post-refurb shakedown run from San Diego to Avalon on Catalina Island in 1973 prior to a round-the-world voyage.

The boat was owned by Roberta Erb here in La Jolla. With a previous owner, the boat won Class A in the 1959 TransPac. It was a fine old "brass and teak" schooner with a sad and checkered history. Roberta's ownership continued that same historical pattern of craziness and sadness.

That shakedown run to Cataliina Island was a nightmare. It was like something from a Stephen King story. Roberta locked herself in the cabin with a case of Scotch. Her son (the so-called captain) and his girlfriend were gobbling pills like there was no tomorrow. The rest of the crew consisted of four of us and I am not much of sailor. I was just glad to get off of the boat in Avalon. I jumped ship as soon as we reached Avalon and took a helicopter to San Pedro where I rented a car to get back to La Jolla rather than make the return voyage.

When they returned to San Diego, all of the final details for the global voyage were completed and away they went with lots more Scotch for Roberta. I was told that most of the crew (including Roberta's son, the captain) jumped ship in the Marquesas while some minor repairs were being made. Roberta filed irregular reports with our local La Jolla Light newspaper for publication. The voyage took more than thirty months because of continual changes of crew and other dramas.

Before Roberta purchased the boat, it was owned by another lady sailor from Beverly Hills! I never did learn her name. She was the one that won Class A in the 1959 TransPac. I later found out that this previous lady owner-sailor had committed suicide with an overdose of sleeping pills while aboard the boat when it was anchored in Newport Beach. Supposedly the boat languished from that time until Roberta bought it.

Anyway, I can't seem to locate any of the photos I made. There must be some Internet resource with photos of well-known boats. Perhaps someone can steer me to a source for a photo of The Constellation?

___

20. Nantucket Red

That's quite a story, FC. It's quite sad for a classic boat like that to end up in the hands of someone likely to destroy it. It's also sad when someone rich enough to afford these things is too dissipated to treat them responsibly.

Do you have any details about the previous history of the boat?