• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevergreen

Reaction score
lighting sucks. detail shot shows shirt texture and pants color a little better (they're navy)

nonnative / old navy / Simon miller / nonnative

Last edited:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Jeans aren't dad enough, which ironically was my biggest complaint about the Steve Jobs movie

Steve Jobs wore LVC 501s in the later years I'm emulating. You can sort of see when he gets new pairs because every few years his jeans are darker again.

I had a little issue with the Fassbender Steve Jobs film though, in that in the 1998 iMac keynote he's clearly wearing New Balance 990v3 (the same ones I'm wearing) but those weren't out until 2008.

The super cheesy very Danny-Boyle sequences when he fights with Sculley in that hallway, and the musical sequence at the end pretty much ruined the film though.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, it flaked off.  I've never painted on CXL before, and man, it is a pain in the culo.  It's not even "natural" CXL, but black, so it has a painted on surface already.  Does anyone have any advice on how to treat the leathe to get it to stick?  I emailed Horween about this, but they may just think that it's an insane thing to do.  I may email Aero, who has done stuff like this before for Levi's.

Maybe Aero leather jackets just aren't meant to have chrysanthemums hand painted on the back? :( :(

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it flaked off. I've never painted on CXL before, and man, it is a pain in the culo. It's not even "natural" CXL, but black, so it has a painted on surface already. Does anyone have any advice on how to treat the leathe to get it to stick? I emailed Horween about this, but they may just think that it's an insane thing to do. I may email Aero, who has done stuff like this before for Levi's.

I've had spectacular luck on regular cowhide Schotts with just Cartoon Colour Cel-Vinyl acrylic (My gal did some of the Stray Cats' jackets that way years ago, and they're still wearing them), but that doesn't seem to be what's required here.

Did you use oils? Most artist's oils will stick to anything, but they take a week or two to cure.

Possibly try stripping the surface with naphtha, which is gentle, but will remove any oil from the surface. TEST IT FIRST though, I haven't tried it on leather. It's safe for most things, in my experience. Then I would Pecard the **** out of it after the paint dries, to get some oil back in the skin.

Another thing you might try is 3M sanding cloths (they're made of Tyvek and you can wad them up in a ball) in a really fine grit (like 2000-6000). Very slightly dull the surface directly under the painted area, just enough to get the paint to grab on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads