• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petko

Reaction score
@kryptix, the arrangement seems a bit too much for spring/summer, no? The materials and colours would probably be a better fit for autumn. Also, your fly's undone.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
jacket should be kept to monochrome outfits only, IMO. Unfortunately, the very out there Raf stuff tends to be like that, and the marble stuff is definitely not a wardrobe basic.

I disagree, I think the jacket works well with that shade of red, as its still a pretty minimalist palette. The pattern on the jacket keeps it from looking too conventional, which doesn't seem to be what JD is going for with these fits.

Jonah

Reaction score
To those who like JD May's fit, is it the individual pieces you guys like or it is actually the entire ensemble worn by JD May?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jonah
To those who like JD May's fit, is it the individual pieces you guys like or it is actually the entire ensemble worn by JD May?
^^I don't think the pants work with the jacket here. It has also been mentioned on here (and I agree) that some people buy really nice individual items, but can't make a decent outfit. I would include myself but I don't have many nice pieces.
smile.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It passes in my imagination if you change the pants to black, straighten him up, put his arm around a really skinny girl in a dress and heels, and take the picture in an orchestra hall. Might even have to dye his hair black. Has to be night time, too.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I think the jacket works well with most saturated solids, hence the pants. I'm betting there are other ways to use it though I just haven't tried yet to see. Drew tends to like things more toned down than I've been making them, I just don't think monochrome is a necessity - actually there is a bit of subtle brown in the jacket pattern, it's not just black / white.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
jd_may you should just add a caveat to your posts: 'don't try to give me advice!!!'

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Breaking up chatter with fits - it's how we do. Click for full-size version.\t Jil Sander / Dior Homme / Alexander McQueen / Helmut Lang
I think this is one of the only times I personally have ever seen you reuse a wardrobe item in a different configuration. Maybe you have but the piece wasnt as unique as this jacket, but either way its nice to see. The first time I saw the jacket I didnt like it a lot, but I think thats just because it seemed so crazy I didnt know how someone would pull it off in a real world situation. Seeing it now, for some odd reason, I am getting it a little more. Also, those pants are great. I love the shade of red. Maybe because you have been posting a lot of crazier outfit combinations lately that I sort of expect it now. Either way keep it up. Your stuff is out there but its interesting none the less.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
gonna have to side with toj here should be used only with black pants unfortunately, top and bottom look like disparate outfits

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I think the jacket works well with most saturated solids, hence the pants. I'm betting there are other ways to use it though I just haven't tried yet to see. Drew tends to like things more toned down than I've been making them, I just don't think monochrome is a necessity - actually there is a bit of subtle brown in the jacket pattern, it's not just black / white.
here's my take on that - the top and bottom are competing far too much, color-wise, it's 50-50 but the pants are solid and the jacket is not, so the jacket even loses to the pants, and that's a feat considering it's MARBLE pattern. You could scale the pattern to microscopic levels, enlarge it even bigger, but it's still be a white/black based jacket, to which wine pants are not complementary. Perhaps there are colors that would suit the jacket, but I'm not thinking of any off the top of my head. I've wanted Jil marble stuff for awhile and I've contemplated what I'd do with it if I ever did get any, and here's my basic possibilities (keep in mind I'm mainly thinking of it in terms of marble top piece, blazer or coat): - shrunken bottoms - black overdye jeans normal slim bottoms - black trousers, raf or jil would be a natural here exaggerated bottoms - wide black trousers, maybe even high waisted, a la old Raf. shorts, black, very short inseam so as not to overwhelm the black tones in the jacket grey bottoms wouldn't work, silver things do work. Silver/silver holographic lame AA leggings would make a better palette than burgundy trousers, FWIW. white pants would work, in the same configurations as above. I think black and white, or silver shoes could be interchanged with a bit of deliberation.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually pays to listen to some of the better advice here, see below:

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
not sure how i feel about red white and blue there, nn. Goes to show that even distressed, darker tones of red+blue are hard to put together. Also, that red jackets are pretty hard to pull off. :p

I actually changed into this that night, thanks for the advice
And yeah, hard to pull off. .. def. something that's for night, harder to walk around in during the day

Shirt is dark gray, contrast is kinda messed up

20gy9sx.jpg

kryptix

Reaction score
the shoes are quoddy, the zipper is almost all the way up, i guess i didnt notice it, lol

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prick
Glad to see you're finally shedding that weight after two years of promises, Perez; only around 40 more lbs to go!

Whether you forgot to zip them after a mens room rendezvous or simply can't get the fly any higher due to child bearing hips, you really should have thought twice before posting this image.

And the outfit looks really sloppy with those Goodwill shoes. Aside from that, though, I really like the aesthetic.

I never knew how everyone was always able to tell who you were so easily because your name changes every 3 days but now I get it.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you'd think there would be more ways to make fun of people than snideful comments on weight and big hips; both of which have been done to death a long long time ago. if you're gonna troll and/or be a dick, at least be a little bit more inventive with your comments.

also, not really feeling the wine pants with the marble jacket though both are great pieces in themselves. the marble + black pants killed though, very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics