• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way They Wore: Images from the Past

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
Special photoset of the fabulously wealthy

Milton Holden was a well-known socialite who traveled up and down the East Coast for vacation and living. Apparel Arts once described him as a "well-dressed man with fashion leadership." Here he is in black tie and, my favorite, a light-colored, patch pocketed summer suit worn with tasseled loafers.

View attachment 1779249 View attachment 1779250

Desmond Guinness, the co-founder of Irish Georgian Society and a pioneer of architectural conservation in Ireland, had a spectacular wardrobe. Love the blazer (five button sleeve!), conservative suits, and tan puppytooth coat worn with white FC shirt. Also the Ikat-esque dressing gown that he wore at home

View attachment 1779256 View attachment 1779254 View attachment 1779253 View attachment 1779255

Guests at a party given by actress Veronica Cooper (aka Sandra Shaw) in Beverly Hills, California, 1952. She is on the left, seated on the couch with Van Herbick and Jack Warner's daughter. Lighting a cigarette on the right is Ginger Macrae

View attachment 1779257

The Salviati family, a banking family in Italy, relax at their estate in Florence. I like the green tweed here (it's even a three-button coat!). Check out the jetted pockets on a tweed. Daughter Oliva Salviati in the third photo, but I think this would also make for a nice men's outfit. Todd Snyder has been introducing stripes like this for the last couple of years

View attachment 1779263 View attachment 1779265 View attachment 1779266

Will at ASW used to feature Aristotle Onassis on his blog prominently. Dude had a penchant for DBs and funky eyewear

View attachment 1779268 View attachment 1779269 View attachment 1779270 View attachment 1779271

In the 1950s, Life Magazine did a story on London's debutante scene to capture all the tea drinking and social climbing at its finest. Most of the photos focused on the women (naturally, given the story's subject). I'm including one of those images here, and then the rest that features menswear

View attachment 1779279 View attachment 1779278 View attachment 1779277 View attachment 1779280 View attachment 1779282

Lastly, I love this look: ball cap with a rugged sportsman sport coat, chinos, and a dark blue shirt. IMO, when you're not wearing tie, a dark blue shirt can help visually anchor everything.

View attachment 1779276
I am digging your commitment to aesthetics over politics :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you sure that's a suit? It's obviously hard to tell since it's black and white and it might just be shadow, but the trousers look like a different shade from the jacket.

I feel like even more shocking than jetted pockets on a tweed is jetted pockets on a sport jacket! I've always felt like jetted pockets on a sport jacket is just too weird, but honestly it's not bad here.

What's up with this construction worker looking outfit. I assume this is some specific aspect of something that I don't know anything about.

Those are boating blazers

Historically, many sport coats were made with jetted pockets. I think this idea that sport coats can only have patch pockets is a relatively new idea.

Don't know if it's a suit. It may be a sport coat.

Finally, here are some photos of Palm Beach during the 60s through 80s, as shot by Slim Aarons. One of the interesting things about looking at the older generation's obsessions (e.g. Palm Beach vacations, Native American jewelry, etc) is that you get to see what used to be class signifiers, but are fairly passe today. As Flusser put it in his book Dressing the Man, "Palm Beach used to be the fountainhead of American resort fashion." Esquires Encyclopedia has tons of information about historical Palm Beach fashion, much of which still applies today for spring/ summer tailoring.

7e13a7a6e0260b6ec0926f4fc92e9752.jpeg
ifacartsaaronsAlvin_and_Lilly_Fuller_Palm_Beach_Florida_Mercedes_190SL_1970_l.jpeg
donald-leas-slim-aarons.jpeg

Last edited:

schraiber

Reaction score
Nearly every CM thread at this point is about politics, arguments over meaningless things, sales, and discussions about shoes. I'm hoping that this thread can be about clothes.
Sometimes it's tough to separate right? Like you've said, clothing is mostly a social language. It's hard to separate the clothes from their social implications.

That said, I do really appreciate this thread. Like I've said, not all of the fits are my cup of tea, but there's a lot of great inspiration in here, and I'm sure it'll slowly worm its way into my preferences.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes it's tough to separate right? Like you've said, clothing is mostly a social language. It's hard to separate the clothes from their social implications.

That said, I do really appreciate this thread. Like I've said, not all of the fits are my cup of tea, but there's a lot of great inspiration in here, and I'm sure it'll slowly worm its way into my preferences.

Yes, I agree you can't separate the two, but CM is sorely lacking nowadays in clothing discussions. Nearly every thread is just about shoes, sales, what to kop, what boring thing to wear to the office, whether people dress up anymore, and arguments about global warming, race, respectability, streetwear, etc. I started this thread hoping that there can be discussions about clothes in the way people used to talk about clothes on this forum.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Raw silk tailoring is one of those things that has almost all but disappeared. It's nearly impossible to find in the ready to wear market, and just about as tough to source bespoke because of the scarcity of the cloth. You can find Matka and Dupoini pretty easily, as they're often used for womenswear and accessories. But the weight and finish of those contemporary fabrics are not always suitable for menswear.

Some photos of raw silk suiting in the past. I have a vintage J. Press Matka sport coat in navy that doesn't fit me. You can sometimes find these at estate sales, flea markets, and of course, eBay.

tumblr_nesehqSrER1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
gettyimages-105329547-2048x2048.jpeg
b412bce0c596de5d60d65b1bf36bbe04--silk.jpeg
tumblr_nqo4wd3c3u1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_nax0mge9BB1rf1jvro1_r1_1280.jpeg
tumblr_mm1856YsDw1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my favorite photos of Prince Charles. I like the DB with a blue shirt and stone trousers. And most of all, the pale yellow socks.

gettyimages-52102800-2048x2048.jpeg

Bruce Boyer once wore a similar outfit. Navy sport coat, cream pants, and yellow socks.

bruce-socks.jpeg

Last winter, I found that The Andover Shop has the perfect shade of yellow for socks, but they are unfortunately sold out. One of the sales associates there told me they should be restocking shortly.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 4.10.04 PM.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drapers' Three Kings book has a nice wool-cotton Prunelle weave in stone. Been wanting to get a trouser length. Seems like it would pair nicely with navy summer sport coats in the way described above.

drapersmedia-nwtn-20210305-tessuto_12001.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not discussed about Plimpton was his accent. He was one of the last prominent speakers of the
now almost extinct Mid Atlantic accent. Well known speakers included FDR, Katherine Hepburn,
and the popular historian Barbara Tuchman. It was spoken my members of the Eastern WASP
upper classes. Although there were numerous exceptions to the WASP affiliation. Tuchman, for
example was a member of an "Our Crowd" Jewish family prominent in finance and government.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not discussed about Plimpton was his accent. He was one of the last prominent speakers of the
now almost extinct Mid Atlantic accent. Well known speakers included FDR, Katherine Hepburn,
and the popular historian Barbara Tuchman. It was spoken my members of the Eastern WASP
upper classes. Although there were numerous exceptions to the WASP affiliation. Tuchman, for
example was a member of an "Our Crowd" Jewish family prominent in finance and government.

If he was Jewish he would not have been a WASP, which stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant. In virtue of being Jewish, he would not be any of those four things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads