• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sf4d74

Reaction score
Here's my AtelierMillesime Merveilleux unboxing video, a fantastic under the radar watch, that's well worth a look, exceptionally made with attention to detail and workmanship

sf4d74

Reaction score
Another brand making awesome stuff, that's well worth a look is MaisonCeladon with their Yue Fei,

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the state of the "vintage" Rolex market? I am very aware of the current stainless Professional model bubble we are in at the moment (with regards to new references), and I am also aware older models like the 16710 have seen hefty appreciation over the past couple of years, but would something like a mint, complete F serial 16710 for around $10k be considered a bad buy?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the state of the "vintage" Rolex market? I am very aware of the current stainless Professional model bubble we are in at the moment (with regards to new references), and I am also aware older models like the 16710 have seen hefty appreciation over the past couple of years, but would something like a mint, complete F serial 16710 for around $10k be considered a bad buy?

View attachment 1226994

That’s a nice looking bit of kit there and my non exhaustive impression is that $10k is within range of what you’d expect to pay for a good condition.

I’ve said here before, I’m on the list for the new GMT which is similarly priced. At some point my patience may run out and I could end up with one like in the picture.onstead They look great like this, I’m not a fan of the faded pink bezels.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh, a watch on its way to me seems to be stuck/lost/stolen in the USPS LA hub. Sorta a bummer not only because of the money, which should be fully protected, but because it was a hard to find piece in very nice condition. Here's to hoping that it is actually found somehow and makes its way to me.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh, a watch on its way to me seems to be stuck/lost/stolen in the USPS LA hub. Sorta a bummer not only because of the money, which should be fully protected, but because it was a hard to find piece in very nice condition. Here's to hoping that it is actually found somehow and makes its way to me.

Oof. You have the shipper initiate a trace?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's USPS, and had all the bells and whistles - registered mail, signature required, etc... and I bet that the shipper insured the crap out of it as well. This protects everyone, but is probably also a big glaring sign that says "Steal me, I'm easy to pawn."

I called out local branch (one of the great things about living in a smaller community) and apparently, the USPS has already initiated their own "package research, even before I called. He said that sometimes to package simply shows up, but that if I don't see any progress in about a week, it's time to tell the seller and contact Amex as well. Ultimately, like I said, it's the hassle and the loss of of a rather difficult to find piece that is the big bummer. This is the first of this model that I've seen in this condition, sold by the original owner, who bought the watch 60 years ago, as a much younger man.

I've had professional sellers from Japan resort to all sorts of subterfuge to get the watch to me, including, and not limited to, hiding the watch box in a box of snacks. The watch smelled like sugar for a day or so, but it got to my door safely.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What watch is Leonard Bernstein wearing on these photographs? @Dino944, you would probably know this...

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What watch is Leonard Bernstein wearing on these photographs? @Dino944, you would probably know this...

View attachment 1227478

View attachment 1227479

View attachment 1227482

The images of the watches could be better, but the first one I'd guess is a Seiko as I had seen he owned a few of those. The second one could be an Omega Speedmaster of some sort, as @LA Guy suggested. I don't know about the third, watch. To be honest, the only time I've seen him wearing a watch that was clearly identifiable, it was a gold Ebel chronograph on a strap. Cheers.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1226994

I agree with @Thin White Duke. Its within the realm of what is reasonable for a 16710 in good condition. I've certainly seen some with box, papers, and hang tags in excellent condition selling for far more than $10K.

I'm sort of in the same boat as @Thin White Duke, on a list for the new ceramic Pepsi. But I may eventually tire of waiting and go vintage. With some people getting tired of waiting and going for a 16710, it keeps demand and values strong.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I may be the only person who dislikes Richard Avedon portraits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads