• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday.
1CC931E2-AC00-4591-9B13-A7B13B40AF46.jpeg

AeneasQuebecois

Reaction score
In addition, most people don’t depend on or use them to go diving. Most owners are probably wearing them at the office or for other activities on land.

Perhaps this reveals more about me than it says anything intelligent about watches, but I personally strongly prefer field and sport watches without a bezel to dive watches when it comes to watches to wear while doing athletics, physical work, etc. This is, I believe, partially because wearing a dive watch on land has always felt odd to me and partial because a bezel I do not use is just added size to the watch. However, if you want to wear your dive watch sitting at a desk, you do you : it's your watch and your money.

Speaking of watches and money (more of it than I can afford at the moment), today I got to try on (slightly different versions of) two of my grail watches for the first time and they both cemented a place in the dream collection of which they comprise fifty percent. It was my first time in a luxury watch boutique and, although I must admit I was somewhat nervous I would come across as rude by coming in and asking to be shown watches I have no plans in buying for at least a year, when I explained that I wanted to see these pieces in person before "setting my heart on them", the sails associate was understanding and helpful and, on the whole, the experience was quite fun.

On a related note, I have heard of people saying they fell in love with a watch but I had always assumed it was a metaphore. Today I learned that this is not at all the case.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe, partially because wearing a dive watch on land has always felt odd to me and partial because a bezel I do not use is just added size to the watch. However, if you want to wear your dive watch sitting at a desk, you do you : it's your watch and your money.

Well I think as other Sub owners have found, the bezel can be used to time events. So even if you aren't timing a dive, it does come in handy. Personally, I don't find it any more odd than wearing a GMT watch while you aren't traveling, or a chronograph or motorsport related watch when you are not timing specific event or driving. To me they are all sports watches suitable for most least leisure activities. But YMMV.

Glad you had fun trying on your dream watch! Can you share what it is, or is that a secret until you make it happen?

I wasn't diving today, but wore this anyway... ;)

AeneasQuebecois

Reaction score
Glad you had fun trying on your dream watch! Can you share what it is, or is that a secret until you make it happen?

I probably will not make any of them happen for some years, so I suppose I could "spill the beans". (To be honest, since getting into watches I have developed an unhealthy paranoia about talking about things I like, especially watches I like due to fear of them becoming unobtainable hype pieces like most Rolex and some "holy trinity" watches. So please do not go start a run on any of these, thank you.)

I am sure it will take me a few decades to assemble this collection, so, in that time, exact models will change but, I believe, the general idea will remain the same.
My current goal collections consists of :
  1. Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso tribute duoface moon in steel : the Reverso got me interested in mechanical watches in the first place and has an interesting history and a beautiful and unique design.
  2. Santos de Cartier, grand modèle in steel : The Santos needs no introduction, but aside from its rich history and iconic design it has sports watch specs to rival the OP, while looking stunning. The newest large model added lume to the hands, which fixed the watch's one flaw.
  3. Pasha de Cartier, in yellow gold : I could see myself possibly going for the simple, three-hand date version as I do like the way the dial on that watch looks as well, and it is a fair bit less expensive. However, in some ways I feel that the date window fits better into the chronograph version, as there is already so many things on the dial, I like the way the chronograph pushers look and I would not mind adding another complication to my collection. Will I compromise with reality and my wallet? Possibly, but while describing my dream collection I will dream.
  4. Vacheron Constantin Malte, phase de lune, in rose gold : I could also see myself getting this woman's version simply because I really like how the mother-of-pearl dial looks, but I think it would be a bit too small for me, and I do love my moonphase complication.

I will probably at least try to get them in the order I have them listed, but, of course, circumstances will change. This would give me a dress watch in each metal along with a sports watch, all of them pieces with interesting history, classic but unique designs and produced by my favorite watchmakers. Personally, and apparently this is something of a controversial opinion, but I tend to prefer less common, more unique pieces to the popular stuff.
Yesterday I tried on the exact Santos I linked along with the Pasha de Cartier chronograph in steel, and they were both as wonderful as I had hoped they would be. There is no Jaeger Le Coultre or Vacheron Constantin boutiques in my city, so I will have to travel a bit to try on the other two, but I would like to do that sometime this year.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably will not make any of them happen for some years, so I suppose I could "spill the beans". (To be honest, since getting into watches I have developed an unhealthy paranoia about talking about things I like, especially watches I like due to fear of them becoming unobtainable hype pieces like most Rolex and some "holy trinity" watches. So please do not go start a run on any of these, thank you.)

I am sure it will take me a few decades to assemble this collection, so, in that time, exact models will change but, I believe, the general idea will remain the same.
My current goal collections consists of :
  1. Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso tribute duoface moon in steel : the Reverso got me interested in mechanical watches in the first place and has an interesting history and a beautiful and unique design.
  2. Santos de Cartier, grand modèle in steel : The Santos needs no introduction, but aside from its rich history and iconic design it has sports watch specs to rival the OP, while looking stunning. The newest large model added lume to the hands, which fixed the watch's one flaw.
  3. Pasha de Cartier, in yellow gold : I could see myself possibly going for the simple, three-hand date version as I do like the way the dial on that watch looks as well, and it is a fair bit less expensive. However, in some ways I feel that the date window fits better into the chronograph version, as there is already so many things on the dial, I like the way the chronograph pushers look and I would not mind adding another complication to my collection. Will I compromise with reality and my wallet? Possibly, but while describing my dream collection I will dream.
  4. Vacheron Constantin Malte, phase de lune, in rose gold : I could also see myself getting this woman's version simply because I really like how the mother-of-pearl dial looks, but I think it would be a bit too small for me, and I do love my moonphase complication.

I will probably at least try to get them in the order I have them listed, but, of course, circumstances will change. This would give me a dress watch in each metal along with a sports watch, all of them pieces with interesting history, classic but unique designs and produced by my favorite watchmakers. Personally, and apparently this is something of a controversial opinion, but I tend to prefer less common, more unique pieces to the popular stuff.
Yesterday I tried on the exact Santos I linked along with the Pasha de Cartier chronograph in steel, and they were both as wonderful as I had hoped they would be. There is no Jaeger Le Coultre or Vacheron Constantin boutiques in my city, so I will have to travel a bit to try on the other two, but I would like to do that sometime this year.

Overall, a very diverse future collection! I like that in addition to you choosing steel/white metal, yg, and rg, you also have diversity in terms of shapes. Overall, I like each of your choices, although a few of them I might opt for a variation. The Reverso for example, is a great choice although I prefer the time only Tribute models for their thinness.

I'm a big fan of the Santos and have owned the steel blue dial model now for almost 3 years. It has served as a daily wearer for long periods of time, and I've never had an problems with it. It wasn't a design that appealed to me when I first got into watches, but with the redesign back in 2018, I was sold on it. If I wanted a sported non-all steel version, I might opt for the steel and ADLC version, just because I know ADLC is very tough and wears well. I'd have to hear from owners of PVD models to see how well that coating wears. Still do like that there is now a blue rubber strap available. I might add one to my watch. I already have the black rubber strap from the ADLC model.

The Pasha was the watch that got me interested in Cartier back in the late 80's early 90s. The Pasha looks great in all gold! I hope that just like with the steel models they will offer a few dial choices for the gold model.

The Vacheron Malte is an interesting choice. To be honest it has been so long since I've seen one at an AD or boutique that I didn't know it was still part of their current collection. I think it is often overshadowed by other VC models, but its a great design and something you would not see on the wrists of many other people.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a few pieces you hope acquire in the coming years. It's always nice to see what other watch fans are interested in eventually acquiring, and the reasons behind their choices. Hopefully, you can start adding some of these in the near future. Cheers! :cheers:

AeneasQuebecois

Reaction score
Overall, a very diverse future collection! I like that in addition to you choosing steel/white metal, yg, and rg, you also have diversity in terms of shapes. [...]

Overall, I like each of your choices, although a few of them I might opt for a variation. The Reverso for example, is a great choice although I prefer the time only Tribute models for their thinness.
[...]

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a few pieces you hope acquire in the coming years. It's always nice to see what other watch fans are interested in eventually acquiring, and the reasons behind their choices. Hopefully, you can start adding some of these in the near future. Cheers! :cheers:

Thank you for the kind words : I was a bit worried I would write too much. I personally do not mind thick watches but, as I said, I would like to try-on the Reverso and Malte before fully setting my heart on them.
I do indeed think about diversity of shapes when considering what watches I like. There certainly are many beautiful round watches, but, if one looks a bit harder, there are many other shapes as well and, as we have already established, I like uncommon, unique pieces.

I'm a big fan of the Santos and have owned the steel blue dial model now for almost 3 years. It has served as a daily wearer for long periods of time, and I've never had an problems with it. It wasn't a design that appealed to me when I first got into watches, but with the redesign back in 2018, I was sold on it. If I wanted a sported non-all steel version, I might opt for the steel and ADLC version, just because I know ADLC is very tough and wears well. I'd have to hear from owners of PVD models to see how well that coating wears. Still do like that there is now a blue rubber strap available. I might add one to my watch. I already have the black rubber strap from the ADLC model.

I could possibly see myself going for this one, but I think I aesthetically like the white and blue dial versions better. I want a version with a bracelet, as I quite like the Santos bracelet, a date and lumed hands first and foremost and I am not overly concerned about scratching : everything I have read or watched online suggests that one can use a steel Santos as a sports watch just fine without serious damage although if anyone in this thread has reason to believe otherwise I would certainly be interested to know.

The Pasha was the watch that got me interested in Cartier back in the late 80's early 90s. The Pasha looks great in all gold! I hope that just like with the steel models they will offer a few dial choices for the gold model.

Well, since you were into Cartier before I was even born, I shall yield to your judgement. I am glad, therefore, that you also share a liking for the gold Pasha. In my experience, even by Cartier standards the Pasha seems underappreciated and relatively unknown despite offering solid specs combined with a unique, interesting and beautiful for a surprisingly affordable price which sums up what I like about Cartier watches in general. Although I certainly would not be opposed to seeing new dial colours, I personally quite like the way the white dial, gold case, black strap and indices and blue hands and pushers look together.

The Vacheron Malte is an interesting choice. To be honest it has been so long since I've seen one at an AD or boutique that I didn't know it was still part of their current collection. I think it is often overshadowed by other VC models, but its a great design and something you would not see on the wrists of many other people.

One of the many things I like about Vacheron Constantin is that, if you dig a little bit deeper, you will discover that they make so many interesting watches with unique shapes, varied colours, different accents and interesting histories. I personally think the Malte would add something different which this hypothetical collection would otherwise lack : I do not just mean a rose gold dress watch as there are many of those, but the shape of the case is somewhat in between that of the other three watches I mentioned and I think the flowing shape matches well with the warmer but somehow deeper colour of rose gold. In addition, I cannot deny that the uncommon nature of it is part of what attracts me. Perhaps I am just a hipster, perhaps I am just a pretentious snob who cannot like "normal watches" , but pieces which are more "off the beaten path" attract me more than the things which one hears discussed every day.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the Masters this weekend, at the green jacket ceremony wunderkind Scottie Scheffler was wearing a Root Beer; Fred Ridley, Mr. Boring aka B. J. Barnes was wearing a Hulk; and Matsuyama was wearing a Kermit. With Phil Mickelson and his Cellini in exile, I guess Rolex had to find other ways to be front and center.

Know what’s cool and out of the square space of usual, boring suspects? This.
View attachment 1778650 View attachment 1778651 View attachment 1778652
As I've said a few times here, this is my absolute favorite chronograph and probably my favorite watch currently in production. I ******* love it.

TonyStarks

Reaction score
I could possibly see myself going for this one, but I think I aesthetically like the white and blue dial versions better. I want a version with a bracelet, as I quite like the Santos bracelet, a date and lumed hands first and foremost and I am not overly concerned about scratching : everything I have read or watched online suggests that one can use a steel Santos as a sports watch just fine without serious damage although if anyone in this thread has reason to believe otherwise I would certainly be interested to know.

tried the white dial in a medium on today and it was pretty darn nice.

Attachments

• 702AA331-C9BF-45F1-A7B6-D197FD7BDF75.jpeg
    702AA331-C9BF-45F1-A7B6-D197FD7BDF75.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 54

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads