• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"We need only mention the orgie in the church at Smolensk, strewn with more dead than it held already, the unfortunate men stumbling over the snow-covered heaps to reach the sanctuary, guided by music they believed to be from heaven, actually produced by drunken men at the organ; the organ itself half burnt, on the point of crashing down into the nave below."
Perhaps different from what you intended, but that passage took me back 50 years to a course on the Napoleonic Wars. I remember it because I was at the time learning to play “Litanies” — not the easiest work — by a much later French composer, Jehan Alain. I’d spent days in a church loft with a grand French style organ. Yes, very different from what a soldier returning from Moscow in the bleak of winter would have experienced … but there was the connection of the organ.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps different from what you intended, but that passage took me back 50 years to a course on the Napoleonic Wars. I remember it because I was at the time learning to play “Litanies” — not the easiest work — by a much later French composer, Jehan Alain. I’d spent days in a church loft with a grand French style organ. Yes, very different from what a soldier returning from Moscow in the bleak of winter would have experienced … but there was the connection of the organ.
That is the best thing about you yanks, the positive attitude. No really! Have you ever visited St Sulpice and Ste Trinite and heard their Cavaille Coll? Extraordinary stuff. Almost makes up for having to be in Paris.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ie. OG StyFoDude with a considered collection that's actually interesting.

@Thracozaag! How cool!

Years ago now, I remember he posted some clips on Styleforum of him playing piano - I think that he may still have been finishing his PhD, or at least near the beginning of his career. Great to see that he's doing well.

I personally think that all these luxury watches are just a jewelry.
Just a watch costs a couple of hundreds, everything above goes into jewelry territory.

That's essentially correct.

Nowadays, mechanical watches are an entirely unnecessary, inefficient, luxury good. We don't need to buy them at all.

That's why we need threads like these, so we can try to justify our choices and get validation from like-minded people! ;)

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't get too close... macro lens is too sharp and I can see imperfections...

_DSC5765.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is the best thing about you yanks, the positive attitude. No really! Have you ever visited St Sulpice and Ste Trinite and heard their Cavaille Coll? Extraordinary stuff. Almost makes up for having to be in Paris.
Yes, yes, and yes. ;) I stopped playing years ago, but my spouse continues ... keeps a harpsichord for practice. We have planned trips with a pipe organ as the destination. He favors late 19th and early 20th century French composers. A Cavaillé-Coll is rather the ultimate instrument for that style of music.

We don't exactly need urging to visit Paris. While COVID has held me back from travel, my partner visited St. Sulpice in September.

I think that positive attitude comes from being an architect. If one has sufficient commissions, one lives with criticism day and night. Architects can be a rather bitchy lot. Oh well, as Wilde said "the only thing worse than being talked about it not being talked about." Hey, just a little positive spin.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
TBH I only look vaguely at this thread, but I am always surprised to see how lively it is. So it’s time to share my best watch that my father left me, it is a gold Piaget from 1950. It would certainly need a better picture, but here it is.

C7E48F1B-D9A2-4118-8DE0-083F2EFFE8AC.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH I only look vaguely at this thread, but I am always surprised to see how lively it is. So it’s time to share my best watch that my father left me, it is a gold Piaget from 1950. It would certainly need a better picture, but here it is.

View attachment 1736282
Very nice!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, @Clouseau

This is one of my favorite threads on SF (and in my opinion, it has some of the liveliest watch discussions on the interwebs). It is a pleasant mix of watch pictures, extremely informative posts, ****-talking, etc. Vintage SF.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, @Keith T - I'm happy that you got that Tank LC for yourself. It is a beautiful watch! You should share more pics :).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads