• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
which iteration are you liking with the santos? Just curious as I’m eyeing one as well.

Likely the ADLC bezel/grey dial version, but the large white would be considered as well. Part of me wants to go two tone, heck, it would match my wedding ring, but I think it would be short lived fascination (or at least shorter than usual for me).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the return to my normal work life seemingly around the corner and thinking of work travel again, I started thinking about what I'd really like to wear "out there" as life gets back to normal. The Santos really sings to me for this purpose and I don't think it makes sense to have two basically square watches of the same size. I'll of course continue to wear my Zenith Shadow and or one of my Nomos for work as week, but I think like one premium perfectly suitable all rounder that pairs up as more of an equal to the Zenith would be a better fit. There are of course many other watches that would suit this idea as well, but the Santos is the leader in the clubhouse and I'm not going to do it if it doesn't work out the way I want it to.

The H08 feels to me like an ideal 4th or 5th watch for someone who has a bit spendier of a collection than I have, whereas I'm kinda asking it to be a number one or two if any of this makes sense...

Do you consider the Hermes to be less of an "all rounder" than the Santos? Is that because of the rubber strap...it just can't dress up well enough?

pmeis

Reaction score
Do you consider the Hermes to be less of an "all rounder" than the Santos? Is that because of the rubber strap...it just can't dress up well enough?

I had wondered aloud in this thread that I thought the Santos might be a bit more formal than I'd want, but I do think between the rubber strap, the bracelet and maybe an extra alligator strap on the ADLC bezel version, I'd have a lot of basis covered. In some ways the Hermes is almost has a smaller Panerai vibe, which is cool, but a bit louder than I want for this role (even without the orange strap).

Could I wear it without issue? Sure, but I'd rather have something else and rationalizing the hobby is so much fun...

Truthfully I wish I was a bit busier, I think I'd spend a lot less time dwelling on these things, but I do enjoy the process of thinking this stuff through.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The H08 feels to me like an ideal 4th or 5th watch for someone who has a bit spendier of a collection than I have, whereas I'm kinda asking it to be a number one or two if any of this makes sense...

I was really surprised to see the H08 leaving your collection so soon, however I can see your point about it being an ideal 4th or 5th watch. Wishing you luck with the sale, and the possible Santos purchase.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This arrived and it *****

IMG_3853.jpg

dan'l

Reaction score
RE: Santos, I have an irrational attraction to the two-tone version. I‘m not normally a fan of TT, but think it really fits on the Santos.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JLC MUT Moon could be nice, its a tad on the dressy side, but I think if you bought a brown strap to swap in and out it could certainly lean more casual
1) Some manner of Reverso, if it sits well on your wrist, would be my #1 choice for this.

2) I don't know that I would go vintage personally, but if that appeals to you there are a couple of really solid choices (I think) that would fit this spot). First, vintage Datejusts and Daydates have someone seemingly been overlooked by the hordes of people bidding up Rolex. You can snag a vintage DJ for under $5k and I've seen good examples of vintage DD for under $8k (on leather). Either of these would fit the role nicely. Also, there are a ton of great examples of vintage gold watches (I've seen a lot of nice IWC's for example) for around $5k.

3) Blancpain Villeret can be had 2nd hand in your price range. I think this is a pretty sweet choice that isn't a "forum favorite" kind of watch. If that's too dressy then....

4) Something like an Omega AT or the IWC that @George Red has on leather. The tough criteron here is working with both a suit and casual outfit, but I think these two (and many others) fit that bill.
My 2 suggestions have already been mentioned...

A steel Cartier Santos. I've had mine almost 2 years and its very versatile, comes with strap and a metal bracelet and you can switch from one to the other in a matter of seconds. With it's curved case back and lugs it's very comfortable. It uses an inhouse movement, it's water resistant to 100m, anti-magnetic, and in the large size in steel you have a choice of a white dial, blue dial, steel and ADLC with a sort of gray dial, or all ADLC case (if you don't want a metal bracelet).

My other suggestion is one of the Reverso Tribute watches in steel. It's another classic design, and I hope to add one to my collection eventually. The only issue for some people is that the tribute watches are manual wind, and some people might not want to have to wind a watch on a daily basis.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide to do about that 3rd watch.
Lots of interesting options in that range. First things that come to mind are various Master Control models from JLC or a Rolex Datejust. The latter looks fantastic on a strap if you swap out the bracelet.

Some solid suggestions there, the ones that really speak to me are all JLC - the Reverso looks good, but I wonder whether 2 non round watches in a 3 watch collection is too much, but the Master Calendar is an interesting one. There are even some of the older 37mm ones available in gold around my budget.

The Santos is attractive, but comes with the same 2 square watches in a 3 watch collection issue, and Datejusts are great watches, but there isn’t really a Goldilocks case size for me and I’d like for the 3rd watch to not be another Rolex.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some solid suggestions there, the ones that really speak to me are all JLC - the Reverso looks good, but I wonder whether 2 non round watches in a 3 watch collection is too much, but the Master Calendar is an interesting one. There are even some of the older 37mm ones available in gold around my budget.

The Santos is attractive, but comes with the same 2 square watches in a 3 watch collection issue, and Datejusts are great watches, but there isn’t really a Goldilocks case size for me and I’d like for the 3rd watch to not be another Rolex.

Non-round watches are relatively rare. If you only have three, there’s nothing weird about them all being round.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had wondered aloud in this thread that I thought the Santos might be a bit more formal than I'd want, but I do think between the rubber strap, the bracelet and maybe an extra alligator strap on the ADLC bezel version, I'd have a lot of basis covered. In some ways the Hermes is almost has a smaller Panerai vibe, which is cool, but a bit louder than I want for this role (even without the orange strap).

Could I wear it without issue? Sure, but I'd rather have something else and rationalizing the hobby is so much fun...

Truthfully I wish I was a bit busier, I think I'd spend a lot less time dwelling on these things, but I do enjoy the process of thinking this stuff through.

I was looking at the large santos. The extra leather strap is calf and there was a really nice croc option which I could order with it.

Also, the rubber strap also fits so if you wanted a steel and rubber option but not necessarily the ADLC version that could be made to happen.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-round watches are relatively rare. If you only have three, there’s nothing weird about them all being round.
I’m definitely keeping my Tag Heuer Monaco, so there will always be one non round watch in there. Pretty much the only worthwhile Tag Heuer in my opinion.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about consolidating my watch collection, I have a few that I’ve bought over the years and are similar to (but not quite as nice as) others in my collection. The idea would be a three watch collection, Monaco, 16600 Sea Dweller and a third watch. It would need to work with a suit and casual outfits, be slim enough to slip under a cuff easily (the other two are fairly thick) and provide something different to the other two sport watches. Don’t mind if it’s gold or steel.

I’m not saying I’ll actually do it, but people’s ideas would be interesting. Budget would probably be up to £7k or so, but could be more for something special.
The IWC Portugieser 40 mm straddles the line between business formal and casual quite nicely. @George Red has the blue-dial version.
032A987216by9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads