• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nickd

Reaction score
Non-round watches are relatively rare. If you only have three, there’s nothing weird about them all being round.
I’m definitely keeping my Tag Heuer Monaco, so there will always be one non round watch in there. Pretty much the only worthwhile Tag Heuer in my opinion.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve thought about consolidating my watch collection, I have a few that I’ve bought over the years and are similar to (but not quite as nice as) others in my collection. The idea would be a three watch collection, Monaco, 16600 Sea Dweller and a third watch. It would need to work with a suit and casual outfits, be slim enough to slip under a cuff easily (the other two are fairly thick) and provide something different to the other two sport watches. Don’t mind if it’s gold or steel.

I’m not saying I’ll actually do it, but people’s ideas would be interesting. Budget would probably be up to £7k or so, but could be more for something special.
The IWC Portugieser 40 mm straddles the line between business formal and casual quite nicely. @George Red has the blue-dial version.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Santos, I have an irrational attraction to the two-tone version. I‘m not normally a fan of TT, but think it really fits on the Santos.
Well, some people feel the two-tone version is historically the right model to get, since that is how the Santos de Cartier was originally released in 1978. The all gold and the all steel came later.

The Santos is attractive, but comes with the same 2 square watches in a 3 watch collection issue, and Datejusts are great watches, but there isn’t really a Goldilocks case size for me and I’d like for the 3rd watch to not be another Rolex.
Why would it be an issue having 2 square watches in a 3 watch collection. I know guys that own 5 watches and all of them are round. Square or other non-round shaped watches are cool and stand out in a sea of people all wearing round watches. Plus the Santos looks totally different on a metal bracelet, leather strap, or rubber strap. It's really like having 3 watches in one.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, for those considering a Cartier, it's my understanding there will be a 5% price increase on all watches on June 30th.

dan'l

Reaction score
Well, some people feel the two-tone version is historically the right model to get, since that is how the Santos de Cartier was originally released in 1978. The all gold and the all steel came later.
Oh, I didn‘t realize that! I‘ve been looking for an all gold watch on a bracelet and thought about the Santos, but much prefer it as TT. I guess your comment is justification for that. :)

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the appeal of Roger Smith’s watches to me? The finish work looks to be a solid step down from comparably priced watches like Dufour, Gauthier, etc. Nothing too interesting on the complication front either? Obviously I’m missing something though.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.