• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I really like my Santos with the bracelet. Low profile, hugs the wrist, classic styling. Mine came with a light brown strap. SA offered a free additional strap and I chose dark brown alligator which is on it's way.

My wife and I enjoy the customer service we receive. Buying is not just transactional for us. We notice and appreciate the perks that are frequently added on.

Last edited:

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember these when they were new. Nice looking sporty chronograph and very reasonably priced. I just noticed the date and how it is placed so that the number 5 for today's date is aligned with the numbers 4 and 5 on the dial. It seems to blend in a bit more. Many companies seem to put the date at an angle when they have the date between the 4 and 5. Anyway just an interesting detail I noticed.

View attachment 1567874

View attachment 1567878

View attachment 1567879

Yes, it is probably the least obtrusive example I can think of using this date placement.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems to me that this is a super jaded way of looking at things. I ONLY buy watches that have a significance in life and usually this means they’re attached to emotions. I want part of that experience to be sitting in the AD chatting, the glass of champagne and the retail experience as a whole. I also find that With a little negotiation you can have all this at reasonable discount.

please don’t attach your own jaded perspective on to others. You don’t speak for everyone.

for background, I have a few, what you guys would likely call, entry level watches. Specifically longines, including my beloved master collection moonphase triple date, which was my first really significant purchase back when I was in my earlier 30’s.

but this year to celebrate my 40th I’m picking up my first JLC, and a reverso duoface at that. For me engaging with the dealer, doing the deal and going in to be treated well is part of the memory that attaches sentiment to the watch.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.
100% agree with you, unfortunately the art of sales is getting more and more lost. But I do have have pleasant experiences here and there.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From everything I've heard, AP Corporate tries to be somewhat fair with their allocations of regular pieces. It's when you get into the special pieces like the skeleton, ceramics, 15202, concepts, and perpetual calendars is when the games kick in.
not that you or I can afford it but I just learned concepts are actually relatively easily available thru corporate AP

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like my Santos with the bracelet. Low profile, hugs the wrist, classic styling. Mine came with a light brown strap. SA offered a free additional strap and I chose dark brown alligator which is on it's way.

My wife and I enjoy the customer service we receive. Buying is not just transactional for us. We notice and appreciate the perks that are frequently added on.

Congrats on your Santos too! I didn't know you are an owner also. I really love wearing mine.

Yes, I have nothing but good things to say about my SA and and the manager at my local boutique. Every visit is a great experience and my SA always sends thoughtful notes and gifts around the holidays and other life events.

I'm curious to see what new pieces they unveil in April.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burps

Attachments

• 1C1FE96D-54D7-4063-8AF6-9078F2F2CC93.jpeg
    1C1FE96D-54D7-4063-8AF6-9078F2F2CC93.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 42

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your Santos too! I didn't know you are an owner also. I really love wearing mine.

Yes, I have nothing but good things to say about my SA and and the manager at my local boutique. Every visit is a great experience and my SA always sends thoughtful notes and gifts around the holidays and other life events.

I'm curious to see what new pieces they unveil in April.

On the other side of the coin, my wife and I went to the Manhattan Cartier location with an appointment. They made us wait 20 minutes past the time and then a few minutes into it, they told us that the following person was arriving so we needed to cut our time short. We were on the verge of buying a full size JUC bracelet for her, but got completely turned off by that experience.

In the following weeks, we ended up purchasing from an SA at a more local place in NJ and he was truly excellent.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, my wife and I went to the Manhattan Cartier location with an appointment. They made us wait 20 minutes past the time and then a few minutes into it, they told us that the following person was arriving so we needed to cut our time short. We were on the verge of buying a full size JUC bracelet for her, but got completely turned off by that experience.

In the following weeks, we ended up purchasing from an SA at a more local place in NJ and he was truly excellent.

While I have been to their Flagship 5th Avenue store several times, I have only made one purchase at that location about 15 years ago (a bracelet for Mrs. Dino). I'm not sure why if they made you wait, other party arriving after you could not wait, unless perhaps it was getting close to their closing time (and then maybe they are concerned that someone traveled there only to be told they can't even enter the store). I don't know the NYC store's closing time, but my local boutique reduced its operating hours post Covid from 6pm to 4 pm. Anyway, maybe it was just you had the wrong SA at that location.

I've had nothing but excellent service at the Boston boutique. Since Covid we have been mindful not to make an appointment past 2 pm in case we had to wait a little while. Which has happened a few times, but the wait was not long, and our SA has apologize for keeping us waiting and offers us champagne, sparking water, still water etc. I try to be mindful of the length of our visit, but I've never been rushed or felt rushed.

I'm glad you had a better experience at the NJ location. The location and the people there can make all the difference in a purchasing experience. It's the reason why if we are shopping Cartier we go to the Boston Boutique.

Many years ago, my wife and I were in Vegas, and were killing time before a nice dinner. I went into a watch shop and she went into LV. She texted and asked me to come in and look at a hand bag she liked. So I went in to the store and the entire staff stood at the counter chatting among themselves, and could not be bothered to come over to see if my wife had questions or wanted to see anything else. We weren't dressed like slobs wearing flip flops and pajama pants- although even if we were they should have come over to greet us or see if we needed help. The bag was fine, and my wife liked it. We waited a few minutes, but no service...no problem. I just said, loudly enough to be heard, "They all seem too busy to help, I'll get it for you in the Boston boutique." Then one SA started to say something, but we were done with them and walked out. A few weeks later, we went to the Boston LV boutique, which was much busier, had a nice SA help up and my wife got that bag she could have purchased in Vegas.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is terrible to hear. My god. I would have just walked the **** out and flipped everybody off.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My girlfriend and I were kept waiting for nearly an hour for an appointment when we were buying a car last year (pre Covid) we ended up walking out and buying a car elsewhere.

Good service matters.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I were kept waiting for nearly an hour for an appointment when we were buying a car last year (pre Covid) we ended up walking out and buying a car elsewhere.

Good service matters.

I've never waited that long at a car dealership. They can get me someone else or I'll walk after 15 minutes. If they treat you that way when buying, you can imagine how bad it will be when you need service there.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have been to their Flagship 5th Avenue store several times, I have only made one purchase at that location about 15 years ago (a bracelet for Mrs. Dino). I'm not sure why if they made you wait, other party arriving after you could not wait, unless perhaps it was getting close to their closing time (and then maybe they are concerned that someone traveled there only to be told they can't even enter the store). I don't know the NYC store's closing time, but my local boutique reduced its operating hours post Covid from 6pm to 4 pm. Anyway, maybe it was just you had the wrong SA at that location.

I've had nothing but excellent service at the Boston boutique. Since Covid we have been mindful not to make an appointment past 2 pm in case we had to wait a little while. Which has happened a few times, but the wait was not long, and our SA has apologize for keeping us waiting and offers us champagne, sparking water, still water etc. I try to be mindful of the length of our visit, but I've never been rushed or felt rushed.

I'm glad you had a better experience at the NJ location. The location and the people there can make all the difference in a purchasing experience. It's the reason why if we are shopping Cartier we go to the Boston Boutique.

Many years ago, my wife and I were in Vegas, and were killing time before a nice dinner. I went into a watch shop and she went into LV. She texted and asked me to come in and look at a hand bag she liked. So I went in to the store and the entire staff stood at the counter chatting among themselves, and could not be bothered to come over to see if my wife had questions or wanted to see anything else. We weren't dressed like slobs wearing flip flops and pajama pants- although even if we were they should have come over to greet us or see if we needed help. The bag was fine, and my wife liked it. We waited a few minutes, but no service...no problem. I just said, loudly enough to be heard, "They all seem too busy to help, I'll get it for you in the Boston boutique." Then one SA started to say something, but we were done with them and walked out. A few weeks later, we went to the Boston LV boutique, which was much busier, had a nice SA help up and my wife got that bag she could have purchased in Vegas.

I’m certainly not a baller, but I do like being treated like one. Any SA who can make me feel like a big shot makes it all the easier to spend my cash (or more than I was planning) at their establishment.

I’ve always thought the key to sales is relationship management/follow through. Both of the SAs I met in my watch search have been nice and knowledgeable, but I think the true test will be if they reach out for any follow up or feel like I’m starting from square 1 again at trip #2.

Also walking out on a potential sale after being misjudged and seeing the realization in the SAs face that you were a legit customer is a top10 badass feeling, right along side catching someone taking **** in a language that you actually know and responding accordingly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads