• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each his own. It’s more than infinite pictorials and has way more specifics than something like Hodinkee reference points. Point me to a source on Calatravas that has dozen of references with model numbers, sizes and calibers for under 20 bucks. Same for the dirty dozen that includes pics of the movements. I don’t think many books exist for most of this stuff and those that do are hundreds or thousands of dollars and many are probably out of print. But hey man, we can always defer to unsubstantiated internet experts like TheFoo. He is my go to after all.

I should add that, for every internet expert that claims to know everything, there is always some guy like John Goldberger or George Cramer that posts a picture of a watch no one has posted before. There are a bunch of people out there really doing their diligence unlike everyone on this thread. Most people on most internet sources know jack ****. So yes, something like Low Beat is a huge benefit even if you don’t understand the language. But then again, this thread is basically a circle jerk these days. On a quarterly basis we see like 10 different watches on average. And most of them are of the banal type. Lately it’s a race to suck off GeorgeRed. His collection is quite nice but rather pedestrian and nothing unusual if you have money. It’s all new and obtainable. Previously it was NoFrills or whoever the guy with the 3970 was. Suck suck suck. As much hate as Riva got, at least he was raising awareness of brands like anOrdain before all the blogs. I wish he was back to stir things up in a real way instead of TheFoo with his fake request for suggestions to just signal he is buying a Patek for turning 40.

an draoi

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add that, for every internet expert that claims to know everything, there is always some guy like John Goldberger or George Cramer that posts a picture of a watch no one has posted before. There are a bunch of people out there really doing their diligence unlike everyone on this thread. Most people on most internet sources know jack ****. So yes, something like Low Beat is a huge benefit even if you don’t understand the language. But then again, this thread is basically a circle jerk these days. On a quarterly basis we see like 10 different watches on average. And most of them are of the banal type. Lately it’s a race to suck off GeorgeRed. His collection is quite nice but rather pedestrian and nothing unusual if you have money. It’s all new and obtainable. Previously it was NoFrills or whoever the guy with the 3970 was. Suck suck suck. As much hate as Riva got, at least he was raising awareness of brands like anOrdain before all the blogs. I wish he was back to stir things up in a real way instead of TheFoo with his fake request for suggestions to just signal he is buying a Patek for turning 40.

The gods of the forum have deemed me too dangerous for the wellfare of the participants thus the hellban. Ignorance is bliss :double thumbs up:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering a first luxury watch purchase. Thinking of one of two options:

1. DJ 36, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel - silver or blue dial

2. Omega Aqua Terra 38m (blue dial) with a steel bracelet + Longines Flagship Heritage

Initially, I was pretty much wedded to the idea of getting the DJ, but the more I look at the Aqua Terra the more I fall in love with it. It also doesn't hurt that it's cheaper and for the difference in price I could also snag something dressier like the Longines. What do you think?

Also, has anyone experienced AD availability issues with the DJ 36 recently?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering a first luxury watch purchase. Thinking of one of two options:

1. DJ 36, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel - silver or blue dial

2. Omega Aqua Terra 38m (blue dial) with a steel bracelet + Longines Flagship Heritage

Initially, I was pretty much wedded to the idea of getting the DJ, but the more I look at the Aqua Terra the more I fall in love with it. It also doesn't hurt that it's cheaper and for the difference in price I could also snag something dressier like the Longines. What do you think?

Also, has anyone experienced AD availability issues with the DJ 36 recently?

Which did you like better between the DJ and Aqua Terra when you tried them both on? That’s really the only way you’ll know for sure.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which did you like better between the DJ and Aqua Terra when you tried them both on? That’s really the only way you’ll know for sure.
Loved the DJ when I tried it on, I think it's very versatile and has an added touch of dressiness with the jubilee bracelet which I like. I haven't had the chance to try the Aqua Terra on given the ongoing lockdown in the UK. I guess this will be the real test.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is - for one's first purchase, is it a better idea to get the one 'grail' watch or get two very good watches for the same overall cost that complement each other in terms of their purpose (the Aqua Terra being more sporty and the Flagship Heritage being more dressy).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved the DJ when I tried it on, I think it's very versatile and has an added touch of dressiness with the jubilee bracelet which I like. I haven't had the chance to try the Aqua Terra on given the ongoing lockdown in the UK. I guess this will be the real test.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is - for one's first purchase, is it a better idea to get the one 'grail' watch or get two very good watches for the same overall cost that complement each other in terms of their purpose (the Aqua Terra being more sporty and the Flagship Heritage being more dressy).

If you can afford both options, I would never buy the watch I like second best, even if it meant I could buy another watch too. The only consideration should be which you like better. If you like the DJ better you’ll just regret not getting it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a saying that "The most expensive watch is the one you buy instead of the one you really want." Buy the Aqua Terra only if you genuinely like it more than the DateJust.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all, sensible advice. I guess the only thing left to do is go to a few ADs as soon as they're open again and see which one appeals most.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aqua Terra and Datejust are apples to oranges......I don’t see how they can be considered in the same light. However, the Datejust is a no-brainer.

get the blue dial :)

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aqua Terra and Datejust are apples to oranges......I don’t see how they can be considered in the same light. However, the Datejust is a no-brainer.

get the blue dial :)
That’s interesting, from what I’ve seen most people seem to think they’re fairly comparable - could you expand a bit on what you mean?

In terms of the DJ dial choice, this is something I’ve been wrestling with for a while. Having seen both, the blue dial is gorgeous but I feel the silver is that little bit more versatile which is a factor in the decision given the watch needs to work both in sportier/dressier settings.

By the looks of it, the blue dial 36mm goes for about £1k more than retail on the grey market, which is making me think AD availability might be problematic.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Speedmaster stopped working, think main spring broke on March 15th or so, right when the world stopped. Had been going on 6-7 years without service, so was due. With pandemic I haven’t been wearing watches every day and have been social distancing pretty religiously and kind of forgot about it.

Finally took it into the Omega boutique for servicing yesterday. 17 minute drive to Midtown from Brooklyn, found street parking immediately in front of the Polo bar/St Regis. Weird world. Was nice to see new watches in the flesh again.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, from what I’ve seen most people seem to think they’re fairly comparable - could you expand a bit on what you mean?

In terms of the dial choice, this is something I’ve been wrestling with for a while. Having seen both, the blue dial is gorgeous but I feel the silver is that little bit more versatile which is a factor in the decision given the watch needs to work both in sportier/dressier settings.
They might compare with regards to price, however that’s where it ends for me.

the Datejust is an iconic dress watch with lots of appeal on many levels.

the Omega is a very specific model with so many iterations that you’d have to really have your heart set on it in order to win against the DJ.

hope this helps. Please post pics of your purchase once you pull the trigger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads