• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
As their other watch brand is Hublot, at least it wouldn't make them less classy. :blush:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm... so, you would switch the colors of the subdial and running seconds hands? I guess that that makes more sense functionally, unless you really, really, need to know the very exact time... I wonder how that will look. In the middle of things right now, but I'll go on the site later to make that mockup.

I read on the site that LVMH made Bamford the official customizer for TAG Heuer, BVLGARI, and Zenith watches. I wonder if this is a test, and whether, if successful, they'd expand it to other LVMH brands.
To be clear - the big seconds hand is the chronograph function seconds hand (I assume - that's how it is on most chronos) that is red. The hands on the minute counter subdial (upper right) and hour counter subdial (upper left) would also be red. The hand on running counter subdial (bottom, with the date indicator) would stay black. So when you are using the chronograph, you look at red hands. When you are looking at the time, you look at black hands (or silver or whatever the main face hands are).

The chronograph seconds hand is usually the big one, since that is where you need precision. The running seconds hand is in the subdial and is useful just to see the watch is running. It generally doesn’t hack so you aren’t even setting it precisely for time. If you need to track seconds, you would use the chronograph hand.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be clear - the big seconds hand is the chronograph function seconds hand (I assume - that's how it is on most chronos) that is red. The hands on the minute counter subdial (upper right) and hour counter subdial (upper left) would also be red. The hand on running counter subdial (bottom, with the date indicator) would stay black. So when you ar eusing the chronograph, you look at red hands. When you are looking at the time, you look at black hands (or silver or whatever the main face hands are).

The chronograph seconds hand is usually the big one, since that is where you need precision. The running seconds hand is in the sundial and is useful just to see the watch is running. It generally doesn’t hack so you aren’t even setting it precisely for time. If you need to track seconds, you would use the chronograph hand.

Thanks. Yeah, tbh, I am still figuring out the chrono. I have never used one. I simply think that they look cool. For sports timekeeping, I use an Timex stopwatch.

I do find it odd that the Speedy Pro doesn't hack. Doesn't really bother me, since I always set the time a couple of minutes fast anyway, but it does seem odd.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear, the mod that I bought ...it's the much discussed Mitsukoshi Speedmaster Pro dial and handset mod... Thanks for bringing us back on subject, as usual, Dino. When you have time, maybe you could PM me and tell me what brands your store carries? I might be interested in something, and would love to patronize a forum member. It wouldn't be for a bit though, since I'm rather spent out for the time being.

Hi,

Yes I am familiar with the Mitsukoshi Speedmaster. I think its quite handsome in that configuration. IMHO it is one of the few mods on a watch that looks good. Being in the clothing industry and seeing what it takes to go from an idea to a final product, and recognizing, some ideas just don't work out in their first iteration. This gives you and advantage over the "Average Joe" who has an idea, thinks it will be amazing when executed (and if it is to him that is what matters), sticks with that mod, but in reality it just doesn't work.

The only company I know of that will specifically allow the modification of their watches (done by themselves of course) is Vacheron Constantin. They received quite a bit of attention when they started offering their atelier service. They will not modify a watch that a person already owns. However, a buyer can commission anything from an existing watch, but with changes to the dial and hands, to a complete 1 off. The buyer is only really limited by what they can or wish to spend. I do not know how successful the program has or has not been, but the program is I believe orchestrated through their Geneva boutique and I can imagine one will pay dearly even if it is just for a modified dial.

Thank you your kind suggestion that I PM you regarding what my store carries, as you would love to patronize a forum member in the future. I am not in the watch industry, although perhaps I should be :wink:. I am a long time collector/consumer, and an attorney by trade. However, I do get PMs from time to time about purchasing advice, so feel free to PM me whenever you like. I don't always have the same taste as the would be buyer, but I will give my honest opinion. Cheers and thanks again!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cannabauss is a fun piece pair with tattoo sleeves ha. is FU aesthetic, maybe organic surficial design is the hallmark of the times? hmm.....

also: the levi 501 didn't start out as culture, it was inert workwear that became culture - through democratization no less! maybe camus was railing against the marketing of authenticity (or appropriation ha) but certainly culture exists at least as an appreciable expression of human geography. what other term could be applied to our amalgam of ways-of-doing? in any case it is funny to see existentialism held out as the philosophical answer in a patently materialist forum. stirring the pot i guess!

also also: as long as there is good design (and there is) there's not much reason for pessimism. simplicity, even inefficiency, is vastly underrated.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Milgauss with steel carving and acid etching is FANTASTIC. What a baller watch.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also also: as long as there is good design (and there is) there's not much reason for pessimism. simplicity, even inefficiency, is vastly underrated.

The reason that I like Omega right is is precisely because the company seems so inefficient in its design. In the Apollo series, for example, there are a lot of misses. It's a matter of tastes, of course, but I would say that there are more misses than hits, and in between, are a lot of watches that look fairly hohum. You are left wondering why you ought to buy a limited edition watch at a premium when it looks so much like the regular moonwatch.

However, the hits. when they come, are as "timeless" as any contemporary product can be, precisely because all of the designs seemed to have originated from a place that is outside the zeitgeist. Yes, you also end up with the Apollo XVII 40th anniversary design, but the juice is worth the squeeze.

This is in stark contrast to companies who seem to churn out uninspired moneymakers, the watch equivalent of a summer blockbuster. They will garner a large audience, and they will make a lot of money, but they are also completely formulaic and forgettable.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herr Beyer, what a delightful person.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cannabauss is a fun piece pair with tattoo sleeves ha. is FU aesthetic, maybe organic surficial design is the hallmark of the times? hmm.....

also: the levi 501 didn't start out as culture, it was inert workwear that became culture - through democratization no less! maybe camus was railing against the marketing of authenticity (or appropriation ha) but certainly culture exists at least as an appreciable expression of human geography. what other term could be applied to our amalgam of ways-of-doing? in any case it is funny to see existentialism held out as the philosophical answer in a patently materialist forum. stirring the pot i guess!

Albert and Renaud Camus are unrelated, and have vastly different ideas, as is obvious from the quotes, no?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Albert and Renaud Camus are unrelated, and have vastly different ideas, as is obvious from the quotes, no?
Cliff's notes version:
Albert Camus - French, philosopher, occasional novelist, Existentialist. Gave rise to 100 trillion annoying coffee table discussions in college. Dead.
Renaud Camus - Living. French, cultural critic, essayist, definitely a bit of a xenophobe, in the true sense of the word - he's written extensively about French culture being replaced by migrant culture. A bit extreme left (fiscal), a bit extreme right (social issues). In my opinion, a lot of journalists have taken umbrage at the wrong things, and the writings ABOUT him seem to betray a lack of understanding of nuance. That said, definitely a controversial figure who has probably said some things about Jews, homosexuals, and a few other groups, that he probably should have said using his inside (his own head) voice. The man can write though. And this is coming from a guy whose French is subpar, if you are being generous.

They probably have very different ideas. They probably also think (thought?) about quite different things.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah well whoever he is he is dead wrong about culture. Great writing =/= great thought (in any language)

Nor does translating a hunk of somebody else's words add up to a cogent post. Cheers!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah well whoever he is he is dead wrong about culture. Great writing =/= great thought (in any language)

Nor does translating a hunk of somebody else's words add up to a cogent post. Cheers!
I think you fundamentally misunderstand his argument. To take a watch analogy:

You think that he argues that only dress watches are good, and the Patek Calatrava is the most accomplished dress watch. It does not matter how well made the Daytona is because it is not a dress watch. The invasion of Daytonas upon the territory of Calatravas is a Bad Thing.

He actually is arguing that an Alpha or Parnis homages are intrinsically inferior sports watches to the Daytona or Sub, and that ignoring this hierarchy in favour of cost-based democratisation, pretending that the differences in finishes, materials, movement reliability and artistic value, history, etc. is a bad thing. Ignoring these attributes is like Solomon splitting the child: both Alpha and Daytona owners are now "equal" but the child/appreciation for these attributes is dead/disappeared from common knowledge. And thus the market evolves towards uglier watches which privilege easy to understand attributes (like number of complications, or size) at the expense of interesting ones.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason that I like Omega right is is precisely because the company seems so inefficient in its design. In the Apollo series, for example, there are a lot of misses. It's a matter of tastes, of course, but I would say that there are more misses than hits, and in between, are a lot of watches that look fairly hohum. You are left wondering why you ought to buy a limited edition watch at a premium when it looks so much like the regular moonwatch.

However, the hits. when they come, are as "timeless" as any contemporary product can be, precisely because all of the designs seemed to have originated from a place that is outside the zeitgeist. Yes, you also end up with the Apollo XVII 40th anniversary design, but the juice is worth the squeeze.

This is in stark contrast to companies who seem to churn out uninspired moneymakers, the watch equivalent of a summer blockbuster. They will garner a large audience, and they will make a lot of money, but they are also completely formulaic and forgettable.

This is a far better response to the question you asked me earlier than I could have furnished you with myself. Commendably efficient, sir!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you fundamentally misunderstand his argument. To take a watch analogy:

You think that he argues that only dress watches are good, and the Patek Calatrava is the most accomplished dress watch. It does not matter how well made the Daytona is because it is not a dress watch. The invasion of Daytonas upon the territory of Calatravas is a Bad Thing.

He actually is arguing that an Alpha or Parnis homages are intrinsically inferior sports watches to the Daytona or Sub, and that ignoring this hierarchy in favour of cost-based democratisation, pretending that the differences in finishes, materials, movement reliability and artistic value, history, etc. is a bad thing. Ignoring these attributes is like Solomon splitting the child: both Alpha and Daytona owners are now "equal" but the child/appreciation for these attributes is dead/disappeared from common knowledge. And thus the market evolves towards uglier watches which privilege easy to understand attributes (like number of complications, or size) at the expense of interesting ones.
All that said, I would welcome a gift of a Swole O'Clock watch, and would definitely post a wristshock of my puny wrist wearing a titan's watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads