1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. pmeis

pmeis Senior Member

I'm certainly not going to say its for everyone, but I didn't buy one because I wanted an America watch, I bought one because I liked the design and found the price acceptable.

Oak and Oscar is just a guy who decided he wanted to "make" a watch he liked for a living and managed to do it. Shinola is just a gussied up Fossil with better marketing, IMO/IME.

Full disclosure, the owner Chase is a good personal friend at this point, but that happened after he started making watches.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

I think it came from my opening statement regarding DIY dials. Where I said, "The do it yourself dials ...well I suppose most companies discourage this and so do serious collectors."

Most collectors value originality when it comes to watches (as much of the value is in the dial) so they generally do not want to mess around with modifying dials.

3. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

ah ok. im not a serious collector and i wouldn't do that either haha.

but im not a diy or mod guy in general (cars, clothes, computers and what not).

4. Dino944

Same here. I keep my cars, watches, and other items stock.

5. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

I dunno hasnt 'blackout' been a thing among watch buyers... seems some mod shops have been chopping watches and i recall that some of these have made their way to auction even.

Mod culture abounds in cars etc why not tweak a watch

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'll never knock a guy for his hustle, but I'm not personally a big fan of the designs. This, for example, looks like a pared down, modernized, Heuer Autavia in an Explorer case:

[​IMG]

The vintage bright blue is changed to a more modern slate blue, the case has a nice matte finish, etc... The logo script is, for me, too distinctively 2015.

it's fine, it just doesn't move or inspire me. I don't look at it and immediately want it, or find it interestingly ugly, etc... If he does well, though, great. It's a tough, crowded market out there and you gotta respect a man for trying.

7. LA Guy

Comes down to personal preference then. I mod out everything, or rather, anything that has any personal value or significants to me. This goes from my jeans, on which I had curved hidden zippers for travel security, to the G-shock I'm wearing that I put a tempered glass shield and bullbars on, to my wife's leather jacket, which I painted plum blossoms onto. And of course, I'm getting or have gotten custom leather saddles for my watches.

I haven't modded out our Odyssey, because a car, for me, is just a way of getting from point A to point B.

8. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    "Watches for swole men who are the CEOs of their own lives!"
    :thumbs-up:
    I loled at that.

Observation: Rolex was not against offering their watches a-la cart through Bamford and Sons until the latest internet craze hit at which point Rolex realized: they are serious tool-watch company and such thing would be unbecoming for a collector's watch.

There is a definitive line, for me, between consumer and collector. Example: one walking into Room and Board in any-city-USA and purchasing a mid-century inspired sofa is not a furniture collector no matter how many times he does that.

9. pmeis

pmeis Senior Member

Well he did launch the first watch in 2015, so I guess you’re bang on there...Funnily enough, I’ve never cared for most of the vintage Heuer stuff and I’ve been able to handle some nice examples over the last couple of years.

Design is of course mostly subjective and I don’t think he expected to “move or inspire” everybody. That’s his third watch with his fourth one coming soon, so as far as I can tell he’s doing a bit more than trying.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

10. pmeis

pmeis Senior Member

Always figured Bamford just sourced all those Rolexes through the grey market and once the SS sport watch market went cray cray they had to pivot?

11. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

I figure some friendly trademark-infringement folks had a chat with them about counterfeiting Rolex’s name and logo for their mangled chop-shop dials.

12. LA Guy

Good for him. Really.

I don't know much about watches, but I have been around design for a long time now, though I am far from a designer myself, so I can often pinpoint stuff like that (typeface, colors, choice of names, etc...) within a couple of years. When someone can design something pretty amazing and throw me off, that's when I consider that the designer has some special talent. To me, it indicates that their talent and vision allows them to be something other than simply a part of the prevailing cultural zeitgeist. I'm certainly not in that category, and I think that very few people are. His designs probably appeal to a broad range of people precisely because they are very culturally accessible in 2018.

I do think that one of the ways that you can somewhat innoculate yourself against the prevailing aesthetic values we subconsciously adopt, as the social animals that we are, is to step outside the current in some way. Me, I live in Idaho, and spend most of my free time sparring with guys, many of whom think that Iron Maiden style cartoons of Samurai on rashguards are cool in a completely non-ironic way.

I have told this story elsewhere in the forum, but when I first got here, I met a girl who was wearing an Ed Hardy tee shirt in the coolest, completely non-ironic way possible, and that was only possible because in Northern Idaho, in 2008, Ed Hardy tees carried with them none of the cultural baggage they did elsewhere.

I think that it's exceedingly hard to be genuinely iconoclastic if you exist purely within the cultural current, if you live in a world center, consume global culture, absorb global cultural norms, accept prevailing global cultural and moral values, etc...

This is probably something @dieworkwear might have some ideas about, though I'm not sure he cares at all about watches and watch design. He wrote a bit, recently, about the coolness of the Lo-heads. I think that it's actually marginalization that makes certain subcultures cool, and that if you become demarginalized (is that a word) that it's nearly inevitable that you'll just become part of the zeitgeist, and paradoxically, irrelevant in the sense of having no more cultural cachet.

13. LA Guy

Tell us how you really feel!

If they were genuine Rolex dials to begin with, I doubt that Rolex could have done anything about it other than refusing to sell to them. There are no laws against people changing something that they have bought, nor selling the altered versions. If they painted on a new logo, that would be another matter altogether, but if they simply, say, took off applied logos, painted them, and say, placed them upside down, Rolex would unlikely have any legal recourse other than to stop supplying them, unless it was specifically specified in their supplier contracts.

Anyway, I'd never heard of this, so I made a 10 minute attempt and creating a Zenith El Primero using the grey, blue, and red Styleforum color scheme (https://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/?page_id=426&vpc-pid=2144):

upload_2018-11-8_17-36-28.png

14. Dino944

Modifying your jeans for a real purpose like adding hidden zippers for security, has a functional purpose. Most of the other mods you have mentioned, well if they make you happy that is all that matters.

15. LA Guy

The protective stuff on the G-shock I wear a lot is also done for practical reaons. The PVD (which was pretty good quality) has scraped off in a lot of places from scraping against cement and concrete. So does wearing a less rugged watch on a strap on my belt that I can tuck into my pocket. It frees up my hands for more physical work. I don't want to bang it up completely hauling horse mats or whatever. Or scraping against concrete. The jacket was a gift for my wife because I used to be a half decent painter (well, maybe adequate is more accurate), and this was more special than some designer version. That was from me, to her. The products were all modded to fit my specific needs and wants, to fit my life.

I know that it's not for everyone, and each person has to discern what is best for their lives. I just don't want people to feel like there is an orthodoxy to which they have to conform. I know that in watches, I have zero credibility, but I say the same thing about clothing and foot wear, where my profile is somewhat higher and where I actually do have some experience and reputation.