• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For PPs, only their SS nautilus models are seeing high prices though I feel it’s a definite bubble. ACs and complications aren’t good for value retention.

But at least ACs and complications aren't so common nowadays and good to wear if you can make them stylish through unique straps etc.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and they are hideous watches:

voutilainen_iso_04.jpg

GauthierHMSWG1.jpg

Who cares how finely stitched your bespoke suit is if it doesn't fit or has an unflattering cut?

Foo, first of all congrats on 10 years. The 5296 is a lovely choice. Patek at its finest. I own a 5026G myself and think the 96 case is as elegant as it comes. I prefer modern Calatrava because they are more water resistant.

I tend to agree with you on most independents. Whatever the finishing, the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired.

Years ago you were and IWC fan. Is that still the case or have your tastes evolved?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For PPs, only their SS nautilus models are seeing high prices though I feel it’s a definite bubble. ACs and complications aren’t good for value retention.
You’re forgetting the aquanauts. Those are getting harder to buy from an AD and are going up on the grey market.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is something maybe you guys could help me with. I am also looking for a real military watch, probably Omega or Longines, but I'm brand agnostic about this, tbh, that would have been commissioned for military use. Here is the difficult part. I am really interested in the original cases which would likely have had solid rods, instead of the regular spring loaded ones. Finding it hard to locate these, anywhere. Have any of you guys come across these?

Like I said, happy to help, here are my military issued Longines. Really depends on your patience and price range

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo, first of all congrats on 10 years. The 5296 is a lovely choice. Patek at its finest. I own a 5026G myself and think the 96 case is as elegant as it comes. I prefer modern Calatrava because they are more water resistant.

I tend to agree with you on most independents. Whatever the finishing, the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired.

Years ago you were and IWC fan. Is that still the case or have your tastes evolved?

Thanks!

I didn't leave IWC. IWC left me.

I love what they were before the Kern era, but am disgusted by what they've come. The elegant, earnest austerity they once stood for is all but dead. Hopefully the new guy will right the ship, but I'm not too hopeful. They sold a lot of watches under Kern. Ugly and tasteless watches, yes, but not sure Richemont cares.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

johnvw

Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the Longines version, with the cathedral hands, though the anonymity of the Record versions (I spend a couple of hours looking at some last night) is super appealing as well.

A digression, if I may: Is it still possible for one SF member to send another a PM? If so, how?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A digression, if I may: Is it still possible for one SF member to send another a PM? If so, how?
Yes, of course. You can use the private conversation function. It's the little envelope icon. Or, you can click on a user, and "start a new conversation" with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads