• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It matters to me that my alligator wallet is lined with alligator on both sides. Why do I care if no one can see it? I've never asked myself that question.

When you open it up to pay that bill everyone can see it. If you use it to line the inside of your shoes then it's a different story. We can argue... With logic.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fok you could also consider the case design as a maybe-solution to your crystal problem. will tune in.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seiko Spring Drive is a future classic. Also really like Credor chrono Anniversary model with carbon face, lovely watches and still look modern to me after 19 years, which I cannot say about many 90s designs.

Disagree largely on opinions expressed in regards to finishing as being useless, gratuitous or lacking value. Apply the same opinion to shoes or jewelry and it sounds even more ridiculous.

Strictly speaking on style terms, we can tell when we're looking at badly finished shoes or ring. Why does a badly finished movement matter when nobody's looking at it? Extra $50k for personal enjoyment through the loupe is warranted but doesn't make one more stylish to the world. Looks wealthier yes...

Whoah--who said anything about finish being useless or lacking value? My point was that, at a certain level, minute differences in finishing should not be a focus, as other measures of design, function, quality, etc., matter more.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah--who said anything about finish being useless or lacking value? My point was that, at a certain level, minute differences in finishing should not be a focus, as other measures of design, function, quality, etc., matter more.

I did, but only for movement finishing. In agreement with everything you said above this is Styleforum afterall not Puristpro.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
The solution to @LA Guy crystal smashing problem is the Panerai 216, tribute to Jules Verne. Time to put those StyleForvm advertising dollars to good use.

AF420050-459B-496B-9E5E-C7FF986E8782.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fok you could also consider the case design as a maybe-solution to your crystal problem. will tune in.
I thought briefly about a Cartier Pasha with a cage. But I'm enjoying this process.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought briefly about a Cartier Pasha with a cage. But I'm enjoying this process.

I can't find your post explaining how you keep smashing sapphire crystals, but why not focus on watches with plexi crystals? They won't shatter.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got ceramic just because I wanted a black watch in my collection and didn't want DLC. This is before I got a carbon case. Plus the dial of the perp cal is super minimalistic on that particular model.

I never cared about destroying any watch case while wearing it. If you can't bear the risk of losing some accessories or car or jewelry completely while you're using it, that you have to pamper them, then you're being enslaved by worldly things. Or you're simply not wealthy enough to use them. Then again some are merely looking after the watches for the next gen :D

Quality of finishing? Who cares if you or anyone can't see it while on wrist. Does the black polishing improve performance?

If you just wanted a black watch, and the movements, finishing inside etc don't matter to you, couldn't you have accomplished the same by purchasing a black Swatch or Hamilton?

As for your statement about not caring about destroying things or people not being wealthy enough to use things [if you can't destroy them]...wow might be the most obnoxious and ridiculous statement I've seen here. I guess I was raised differently, and to believe we work hard for the things we have, not to take them for granted, and that if we take care of them, they will last us a very long time.

Article 26

Reaction score
If you just wanted a black watch, and the movements, finishing inside etc don't matter to you, couldn't you have accomplished the same by purchasing a black Swatch or Hamilton?

As for your statement about not caring about destroying things or people not being wealthy enough to use things [if you can't destroy them]...wow might be the most obnoxious and ridiculous statement I've seen here. I guess I was raised differently, and to believe we work hard for the things we have, not to take them for granted, and that if we take care of them, they will last us a very long time.
So glad I wasn’t alone with regard to this thought process!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like some Credor, I have yet to find a grand seiko I really like just from a design stand point of view

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some Credor, I have yet to find a grand seiko I really like just from a design stand point of view
Seiko is strange in that respect, as it builds very classic and attractive watches of diminishing price points all the way from GS and down to ordinary Seiko SARB033 and even down to Seiko 5. And they all look almost identical. I guess being mass producer their bread and butter is in 150 to 600 range and they don't care how many GS watches they sell annually.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I personally just like pullup leathers and the way they age. Turns out, that I just bought a 70s IWC from a Japanese vendor (probably the most reliable place to find decent vintage watches, imo) to try this with. I even get the original strap, not that I'll probably use it. The clean face, and the slightly squared off case, I thought would lend itself to a contrast against leather.

Also, a good caution to not shop late at night, when decision making can be slightly impaired.

I just researched your website. Would you be interested in giving this a shot? If so, PM me! I don't have the watch in hand yet, but it ought to be here in a week or so:

s-l1600.jpg

Fok,

I sent you an email. Happy to help out. That case design should work well as a pocket watch.

DL-

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agree with you, just took a look on their website again, can't find a single thing I want to own from a design stand point of view...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find your post explaining how you keep smashing sapphire crystals, but why not focus on watches with plexi crystals? They won't shatter.
That's what I'm doing, and I decided to go the vintage route specifically for this reason.

I just bang into stuff. A lot. And I'm always doing things with my hands, which messes things up as well. So, just as an example, in spent a day hauling horse mats in the gym to set it up for HIIT training, and ripped the crap out of my forearms from the abrasive mats. If I'd been wearing a watch, it probably would have broken the bracelet, or at very least messed up a band.

My wife is like that as well. In the past year, she's both knocked a link cover off, and cracked the crystal of her Chopard St. Moritz, just in the course of daily living.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solution to @LA Guy crystal smashing problem is the Panerai 216, tribute to Jules Verne. Time to put those StyleForvm advertising dollars to good use.

View attachment 1017509
I've looked at a few of those, including the ones celebrating the different Chinese New Years. Really wish they made them without the date window, though the small minutes does balance out the dial some.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads