• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about the stunt Moser pulled at the Swiss watch industry earlier this week? Unfortunately, I think it backfired on them, mostly because they aimed their message at the wrong crowd.

Ultimately, I liked the message but I think they missed their target. Instead of insulting authentic Swiss watch manufacturers with a studied history, they should've aimed their message at all the so-called "Swiss" watch micro-brands popping twice a day on GoFundMe or KickStarter producing 'homage' and/or blatant rip-offs instead of trying to come up with a design and brand story that is their own.

The watch is indeed pretty ugly!

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about the stunt Moser pulled at the Swiss watch industry earlier this week? Unfortunately, I think it backfired on them, mostly because they aimed their message at the wrong crowd.

Ultimately, I liked the message but I think they missed their target. Instead of insulting authentic Swiss watch manufacturers with a studied history, they should've aimed their message at all the so-called Swiss watch micro-brands poppin twice a day on GoFundMe or KickStarter that produce 'homage' and blatant rip-offs, instead of trying to come up with a design and brand story that is their own.

I just looked it up and am still smiling! It is really well executed, with a lot of taste and knowledge. One could almost call it (post-modern) art - I wouldn't mind a copy to hang up or even wear when meeting certain friends! Very Swiss - not the face they show the world but their peculiar, slightly dark humour that you gradually discover when you live there for a while.

That being said, I doubt it was ever intended to be sold. The design notes are too clearly copied and the lawyers would have made it go away before the prototype could be completed. A pure media stunt on par with their cheese watch earlier.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked it up and am still smiling! It is really well executed, with a lot of taste and knowledge. One could almost call it (post-modern) art - I wouldn't mind a copy to hang up or even wear when meeting certain friends! Very Swiss - not the face they show the world but their peculiar, slightly dark humour that you gradually discover when you live there for a while.

That being said, I doubt it was ever intended to be sold. The design notes are too clearly copied and the lawyers would have made it go away before the prototype could be completed. A pure media stunt on par with their cheese watch earlier.

It was reportedly a pièce unique intented to be auctionned. Proceeds were meant to be directed to promote Swiss watchmaking industry, via educational programs and schools, from what I understand!

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Speedmaster, Daytona and many other watches sell for what they sell in large part because of the brand and history. If that speaks to you personally, then it is worth it to you personally.

Since neither speaks to me personally, I would not spend that money on either a Speedie or a PN Daytona or for that matter a sub, even after years in finance. But I'll happily spend the brand premium (vs artisan work with less brand recognition) for a Cartier Tank (and other jewelry) or, in another category altogether, Hermes ties or silk squares or leather work. More than they are "worth" if you removed the brand and compared them to equivalent products.

So I understand why a lot of people (a LOT of people) are excited by the sight of a Speedie/Daytona/sub, I get that it evoques certain things in their heart. Since both the Speedie and Daytona seem to have that effect on you, you should just go for it and add the Speedie.

Part of it is I've bought quite a few watches based on the story even though I didn't completely buy into the aesthetic. So I'm a bit burnt on the "buy the story" front because I never wear them. Now I buy what I like 100%. Which is why I haven't bought anything in several months. At some point I will resume my search for the perfect Tank. A recent Paris trip put me off the idea since it's so common there.
thanks for the reply

i personally didn't buy "the story" of the watch... i just loved the way the daytona looked and felt
when i looked at watches in my teens and 20's, i always thought of Rolex as an old man's watch
i preferred other watches like ... tag chrono ... IWC chrono ... etc
but the only rolex that ever appealed to me was the Daytona
but it was something out of reach for me so never really paid too much attention to it

now, in my late 30's, rolex is no longer an old man's watch to me and i appreciate many of the different models
i checked out many watches but in the end, i chose the daytona as it was my grail watch since my younger days

and it certainly doesn't hurt that Rolex has the brand recognition and holds value

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ultimately, I liked the message but I think they missed their target. Instead of insulting authentic Swiss watch manufacturers with a studied history, they should've aimed their message at all the so-called "Swiss" watch micro-brands popping twice a day on GoFundMe or KickStarter producing 'homage' and/or blatant rip-offs instead of trying to come up with a design and brand story that is their own.

It's probably just me being lazy, but it would be very nice if these kinds of posts referencing stuff from outside this thread were to include a pic or at least a link.

Anyway, here's the watch in question:

Swiss_Icons_Watch_3804-1200_Lifestyle_1.jpg

- so a mix of a Rolex GMT, a Panerai, a Royal Oak, a Nautilus, some IWC and probably more.

(^ clickable)

Last edited:

run23

Reaction score
I think the Speedmaster, Daytona and many other watches sell for what they sell in large part because of the brand and history. If that speaks to you personally, then it is worth it to you personally.

Since neither speaks to me personally, I would not spend that money on either a Speedie or a PN Daytona or for that matter a sub, even after years in finance. But I'll happily spend the brand premium (vs artisan work with less brand recognition) for a Cartier Tank (and other jewelry) or, in another category altogether, Hermes ties or silk squares or leather work. More than they are "worth" if you removed the brand and compared them to equivalent products.

So I understand why a lot of people (a LOT of people) are excited by the sight of a Speedie/Daytona/sub, I get that it evoques certain things in their heart. Since both the Speedie and Daytona seem to have that effect on you, you should just go for it and add the Speedie.

Part of it is I've bought quite a few watches based on the story even though I didn't completely buy into the aesthetic. So I'm a bit burnt on the "buy the story" front because I never wear them. Now I buy what I like 100%. Which is why I haven't bought anything in several months. At some point I will resume my search for the perfect Tank. A recent Paris trip put me off the idea since it's so common there.

You are defintiely right about that. I love the 5 digit subs partly because of the history, and I’m ashamed to admit partly because of watching old Bond movies as a kid and really digging Connery’s Sub. But the heart wants what it wants and buying a watch is more about emotion than practicality. I wear my Sub almost every day, even if many would consider innapropriare for office-wear. I wouldn’t trade it for any watch, except maybe an Explorer 1 36mm, but then I’d want the Sub back.

456FCE3A-AEA8-475E-9F9E-D4D89DF695FF.jpeg

Article 26

Reaction score
It's probably just me being lazy, but it would be very nice if these kinds of posts referencing stuff from outside this thread were to include a pic or at least a link.

Anyway, here's the watch in question:

Swiss_Icons_Watch_3804-1200_Lifestyle_1.jpg

- so a mix of a Rolex GMT, a Panerai, a Royal Oak, a Nautilus, some IWC and probably more.

(^ clickable)
You missed hublot screws and GP tourbillon bridge...
Goodness knows what else is there!

What a laced editorial!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Breguet hands.

It's quite witty, and I do think it is as much a criticism of the replication of design elements by pop-up companies, as the tired reiterations of the big players. Anyway, frankly, some of those big players do need a kick in the nuts. They should have used Patek-Philippe's unique "stretched Arial" font selection to make the point a bit further!

The only thing that annoys me is that it has a GMT bezel but no GMT hand, but I'm guessing they laughed for hours when they designed that too.

atia2

Reaction score
The Moser watch pastiche comes with a video:

As someone just said, it's art, and it does that important thing that art often does: holding up a mirror to oneself, in this case the Swiss watchmaking industry. I think it's great, although I couldn't possibly wear it (which is the point).

Article 26

Reaction score
The Moser watch pastiche comes with a video:

As someone just said, it's art, and it does that important thing that art often does: holding up a mirror to oneself, in this case the Swiss watchmaking industry. I think it's great, although I couldn't possibly wear it (which is the point).

That was funny. However, the true irony is in that he is as much a fadmeister as too many he has implicated: no dress watch should be 42mm or greater. I was in a local which stocks Moser, they were huge.
It’s a true shame, they are mechanically beautiful, extraordinarily finished and the perpetual calendar leaves me breathless - but at those dimensions, his own victim.

My opinion (only of value to me).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the watch press made a bit more of an effort with their commentary. Let's go back in time and take a look at the equivalent in music, Berio's Sinfonia that (to me at least) marked the transition to post-modernism.

1982 NYT (pretty much applies here verbatim):
''Sinfonia'' is about coming too late on the scene to say anything new. It is about the modern age with all its violence and alienation. It is about the destruction of old structures with no new order to take their place. It is about the end of a tradition that once included story, myth and community. It is about the crisis in Western society.

And it is also so true to its own views that it has very little new to add to this cliche litany. This concert performance proved that the work has not aged well, despite its reputation. Similar points of view have been expressed before, with greater power, and less reliance on a tendentious message. My guess is that the people who cheered it understood that tendention - as did the people who left.

Sample of the 1968 reactions:
TIME (gets it): In one sense, the words do not matter; Berio is not interested in making a song. He is communicating a kind of life attitude that shrinks at the prospect of some unnamable terror. It is a musical collage of headlines persistently giving a warning of holocaust.

NYT (not an incorrect prediction): shows the new direction music is taking.

NY Post (could apply to Moser, verbatim): music as jauntily complex as its title is simple... The style is irreverent, and yet Berio, being a highly trained and experienced composer, the effect is disarming but not offensive. He makes sense out of nonsense.

Whilst I enjoyed the work I do really hope the watch industry is not going post-modern:

d8164ff6e22dd32702d45c68dac54d97.jpg

... I guess watches only cost a few grand!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wanted the black & steel Rolex Submariner since I was about 13 years old, now I'm 25 I still want it. But the Date Just is starting to really peak my interest, big time.

I reckon I'll be able to afford one of these soon, but which one? Does anyone have both that they can weigh pros & cons for me?

I'm leaning towards the Sub just because of the sailing aspect of it, but the DJ is such so slick (especially with the presidential bracelet).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads