1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL.

Not showing any shirt cuff!? Pshaw!

2. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

I think the Speedmaster, Daytona and many other watches sell for what they sell in large part because of the brand and history. If that speaks to you personally, then it is worth it to you personally.

Since neither speaks to me personally, I would not spend that money on either a Speedie or a PN Daytona or for that matter a sub, even after years in finance. But I'll happily spend the brand premium (vs artisan work with less brand recognition) for a Cartier Tank (and other jewelry) or, in another category altogether, Hermes ties or silk squares or leather work. More than they are "worth" if you removed the brand and compared them to equivalent products.

So I understand why a lot of people (a LOT of people) are excited by the sight of a Speedie/Daytona/sub, I get that it evoques certain things in their heart. Since both the Speedie and Daytona seem to have that effect on you, you should just go for it and add the Speedie.

Part of it is I've bought quite a few watches based on the story even though I didn't completely buy into the aesthetic. So I'm a bit burnt on the "buy the story" front because I never wear them. Now I buy what I like 100%. Which is why I haven't bought anything in several months. At some point I will resume my search for the perfect Tank. A recent Paris trip put me off the idea since it's so common there.

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I actually hate that less - it's at least on a fat, rough-riding diver. But it's still a bit stoopid. On a crowded chrono dial it at least makes some sense to poke it in between two of the three registers.

4. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

Afraid, i’ve just joined the chorus:
    Batons are preposterously long; date window (out to sea); tiered batons are a little absurd (12, 3, 6 etc);
    And the nomenclature is odd
    As for dimensions, I can’t grasp the scale. Honestly, do not have a clue what a Ball retails for or what brought it to your attention, there is bound to be a better (more investment sound) option. But, if you love it, enjoy it. (We’re irrelevant)
    Largely agree.

Have no idea what the perfect tank comprises for you, however, on eBay there is a rather nice tank americane in platinum. I’d of bought it had it been an automatic.
    :)

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Distinguished Member

How does everyone feel about the stunt Moser pulled at the Swiss watch industry earlier this week? Unfortunately, I think it backfired on them, mostly because they aimed their message at the wrong crowd.

Ultimately, I liked the message but I think they missed their target. Instead of insulting authentic Swiss watch manufacturers with a studied history, they should've aimed their message at all the so-called "Swiss" watch micro-brands popping twice a day on GoFundMe or KickStarter producing 'homage' and/or blatant rip-offs instead of trying to come up with a design and brand story that is their own.

The watch is indeed pretty ugly!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

6. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

I just looked it up and am still smiling! It is really well executed, with a lot of taste and knowledge. One could almost call it (post-modern) art - I wouldn't mind a copy to hang up or even wear when meeting certain friends! Very Swiss - not the face they show the world but their peculiar, slightly dark humour that you gradually discover when you live there for a while.

That being said, I doubt it was ever intended to be sold. The design notes are too clearly copied and the lawyers would have made it go away before the prototype could be completed. A pure media stunt on par with their cheese watch earlier.

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Distinguished Member

It was reportedly a pièce unique intented to be auctionned. Proceeds were meant to be directed to promote Swiss watchmaking industry, via educational programs and schools, from what I understand!

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Distinguished Member

thanks for the reply

i personally didn't buy "the story" of the watch... i just loved the way the daytona looked and felt
    when i looked at watches in my teens and 20's, i always thought of Rolex as an old man's watch
    i preferred other watches like ... tag chrono ... IWC chrono ... etc
    but the only rolex that ever appealed to me was the Daytona
    but it was something out of reach for me so never really paid too much attention to it

now, in my late 30's, rolex is no longer an old man's watch to me and i appreciate many of the different models
    i checked out many watches but in the end, i chose the daytona as it was my grail watch since my younger days

and it certainly doesn't hurt that Rolex has the brand recognition and holds value

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

It's probably just me being lazy, but it would be very nice if these kinds of posts referencing stuff from outside this thread were to include a pic or at least a link.

Anyway, here's the watch in question:

[​IMG]

- so a mix of a Rolex GMT, a Panerai, a Royal Oak, a Nautilus, some IWC and probably more.

[​IMG]

(^ clickable)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

10. run23

run23 Active Member

You are defintiely right about that. I love the 5 digit subs partly because of the history, and I’m ashamed to admit partly because of watching old Bond movies as a kid and really digging Connery’s Sub. But the heart wants what it wants and buying a watch is more about emotion than practicality. I wear my Sub almost every day, even if many would consider innapropriare for office-wear. I wouldn’t trade it for any watch, except maybe an Explorer 1 36mm, but then I’d want the Sub back.

456FCE3A-AEA8-475E-9F9E-D4D89DF695FF.jpeg

11. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

@Kaplan

I do wonder if the watch was actually ever created or just made up photos. Strange story and even stranger turn of events.

12. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

You missed hublot screws and GP tourbillon bridge...
    Goodness knows what else is there!

What a laced editorial!

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Breguet hands.

It's quite witty, and I do think it is as much a criticism of the replication of design elements by pop-up companies, as the tired reiterations of the big players. Anyway, frankly, some of those big players do need a kick in the nuts. They should have used Patek-Philippe's unique "stretched Arial" font selection to make the point a bit further!

The only thing that annoys me is that it has a GMT bezel but no GMT hand, but I'm guessing they laughed for hours when they designed that too.

14. atia2

atia2 Senior Member

The Moser watch pastiche comes with a video:

As someone just said, it's art, and it does that important thing that art often does: holding up a mirror to oneself, in this case the Swiss watchmaking industry. I think it's great, although I couldn't possibly wear it (which is the point).

15. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

That was funny. However, the true irony is in that he is as much a fadmeister as too many he has implicated: no dress watch should be 42mm or greater. I was in a local which stocks Moser, they were huge.
    It’s a true shame, they are mechanically beautiful, extraordinarily finished and the perpetual calendar leaves me breathless - but at those dimensions, his own victim.

My opinion (only of value to me).