1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

But, I still love the send up!

2. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

I wish the watch press made a bit more of an effort with their commentary. Let's go back in time and take a look at the equivalent in music, Berio's Sinfonia that (to me at least) marked the transition to post-modernism.

1982 NYT (pretty much applies here verbatim):
    ''Sinfonia'' is about coming too late on the scene to say anything new. It is about the modern age with all its violence and alienation. It is about the destruction of old structures with no new order to take their place. It is about the end of a tradition that once included story, myth and community. It is about the crisis in Western society.

And it is also so true to its own views that it has very little new to add to this cliche litany. This concert performance proved that the work has not aged well, despite its reputation. Similar points of view have been expressed before, with greater power, and less reliance on a tendentious message. My guess is that the people who cheered it understood that tendention - as did the people who left.

Sample of the 1968 reactions:
    TIME (gets it): In one sense, the words do not matter; Berio is not interested in making a song. He is communicating a kind of life attitude that shrinks at the prospect of some unnamable terror. It is a musical collage of headlines persistently giving a warning of holocaust.

NYT (not an incorrect prediction): shows the new direction music is taking.

NY Post (could apply to Moser, verbatim): music as jauntily complex as its title is simple... The style is irreverent, and yet Berio, being a highly trained and experienced composer, the effect is disarming but not offensive. He makes sense out of nonsense.

Whilst I enjoyed the work I do really hope the watch industry is not going post-modern:

[​IMG]

... I guess watches only cost a few grand!

3. Francks

Francks Senior Member

Anyone would be interested in this brand new IWC leather strap?

Reference IWA05510 (regular length). Black buffalo leather. It was the strap mounted on the Pilot Mark XV back then (and possibly other models).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

I've wanted the black & steel Rolex Submariner since I was about 13 years old, now I'm 25 I still want it. But the Date Just is starting to really peak my interest, big time.

I reckon I'll be able to afford one of these soon, but which one? Does anyone have both that they can weigh pros & cons for me?

I'm leaning towards the Sub just because of the sailing aspect of it, but the DJ is such so slick (especially with the presidential bracelet).

5. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

^
    Personally, I enjoy wearing them equally. They're both good; I can't think of any real-life pros/cons other than the obvious point that Submariner's bezel can be used to time things. Everything else is pretty much just a matter of looks, as they have the same movements and basic design principles. (The extra depth rating of the Submariner is meaningless, as the Datejust is still going to be more pressure-resistant than you are.)

[​IMG]

Since it’s the one you’ve wanted the longest and prices keep climbing for every model generation, it's probably better to fix your Submariner itch first.

Then you can check out different DJs and decide which variation you want, as there are tons of them. You can also get a DJ for a better discount from MRSP on the secondary market than a Sub, especially if you're patient.

And since you mentioned sailing, you might be interested in this article about a watch worn during a solo circumnavigation:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a...ir-francis-chichesters-rolex-oyster-perpetual

Essentially, they're both tough and reliably-watertight watches that go with anything and never have to leave your wrist — just like any steel Rolex, really.

6. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

WRT the Moser piece, I won't repeat the comments posted here or on other watch boards. However, it made me think, if it were a real piece (and who really knows since it has since been retracted), how much does it cost to make something like that? I mean, you need tooling, jigs, etc. to manufacture such a watch. Of course there are other one-off watches, à la onlywatch, but they are generally a variation of an existing piece.

7. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Surely you'd buy them off the OEMs' suppliers abroad? It'd be more authentic that way :laugh:

8. NewStart

NewStart Senior Member

There are a few daytona coming up in an auction near my place tomorrow. Never bought in auction before, so not sure what to expect. Any advice? should I do lots of diligent just like buying from a private seller? Would you recommend this at all?

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Daytona prices are absurd. Bubble will burst at some point. Would not buy one today.

10. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

Auction house, please?

11. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

When was the last burst - I can’t recall?

12. NewStart

NewStart Senior Member

This is called WLC Auctions

13. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

Thanks for link. Had a quick look, no use to me after premiums and import duties.
    Interesting auction!

14. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

16EAE17B-98E2-4256-A09E-F6BEE7C5FBF3.jpeg
    Evidencing beside the cat!

15. atia2

atia2 Senior Member

Love that piece. Witty, charming, art deco with a mysterious Oriental twist. Is it a Siamese cat?