• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, the mentally ill homeless people are not really muggers lol.

People from the middle of nowhere always seem to get mentally ill homeless people mixed up with violent muggers. In the US and Canada, they are not even close to being the same.

No, they won’t likely mug you, but I’d still stay away to avoid random assault.

Really nice photos. I got my Nautilus (steel) right before it became hyped and prices went through the roof.

Thanks. Good for you! Hopefully the hype dissipates and we get back to normal.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7711.jpeg

I only ever hesitate about watch crime when wearing short sleeves. Otherwise, I’ll go anywhere and wear anything…

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree—especially if by NYC you mean Manhattan. London and Paris are scarier, sketchier places. DC also.

Except, whoever mentioned Chevy Chase as a proxy for DC needs to get out more…

That said, I can’t think of an American city where I’d be generally worried about someone mugging me or beating me up for my watch. That and pick pocketing are just not common things here.

Re-read the full post I made.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y’all gotta stop with the paranoia man…..**** can happen anywhere and everywhere….let it go
Yes. Unless you are careless on social media. People who post their names, area of residence and specific expensive watches, are asking for trouble?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re-read the full post I made.

Here it is:

I lived in Chevy Chase on the edge of DC for five years. Walked and took the metro all over DC and never felt unsafe. Mind you this was a while ago but I’ve still got connections in the city and no one tells me they worry about their personal safety.

You lived in one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country. Going in and out of DC (I assume for work and entertainment) is not the same experience as living in the city and having to deal with it day-to-day.

I grew up in Potomac. My dad “walked and took the metro all over DC” from the 70’s through the 90’s. He never felt unsafe either—in years when the city was much, much worse than recent times. But that was because he was going to and from only select places (i.e., places a person would want to go and far from those he’d want to avoid) since he had the luxury of calling somewhere else home.

As you know, one street in DC can be perfectly nice, but then the one a block over can be dangerous. It’s not like Manhattan, where all dangerous parts are relegated to areas north of 90th street. If you don’t have to do all your daily errands out and about in DC, your basis for judging its safety on personal experience is not strong.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nm. Not worth getting into f00 drama…

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The new Cinque model from Unimatic is awesome. What a gorgeous looking watch! 36mm! Wide lug spacing! Sellita movement! Under $900!

Think I may pickup the non-DLC version.

C3B526F2-05AB-4336-9A19-432FE6E63252.jpeg

3A9B51AB-4E7C-4CE8-B801-27B7F995736D.jpeg

ED8F125E-5DF9-499B-AABA-5C417AFBA33A.jpeg

AFB1AF16-50DA-4C05-BD9F-64703D00821A.jpeg

E328D7D8-8881-411E-B34B-1FD08801A8D3.jpeg

pmeis

Reaction score
That sucks. Let us know how Nomos takes care of this and how long it takes to get your watch back. For what it's worth, I've had an Orion for 8 years and a Club automat for 7 years without issue. I'll probably have to send one or both off for service in the next year or two and am 90% sure I'm not sending them to Nomos for that due to the anticipated delay involved with shipping to Germany and waiting on Nomos to work on them.

You can send them to their office in New York and they’ll send them over to Germany for you. They did a hand replacement for me on a watch that was under warranty, but where I was not the original owner nor did I have any of the original paperwork, for free.

Southeasterly

Reaction score
As someone traveling a lot for work, I’m always amused by anyone concerned about crime in New York. Manhattan is basically the safest place in America for the last several decades. Was just there last week, wore a nice watch, rode the subway everywhere, and didn’t give it a second thought. No doubt it’s far safer than my neighborhood.

The worst horological crime I’ve witnessed in NYC is the garish Richard Mille billboard in Times Square.

Maybe just coincidence, but the one city I’ve consistently seen street crime is Boston. I still walk around and take the subway, but do I feel safe? Hell no!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any practical benefit to non-Swiss lever escapements?

IE natural escapements or coaxial?

There doesn’t seem to be really?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix