• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_8686.JPG
Borderline poor mans watch but beautiful nonetheless.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_8566.PNG
IMG_8565.PNG
Popped the DJII on an alligator strap I've had awhile, forgot how much I love the colour!

View attachment 782838

Great looking strap. I really like leather straps on Rolexes. I had custom 18k endlinks made for my 1803 that paired well with my Camille Fournet strap.

SartyIrv

Reaction score
Great looking strap. I really like leather straps on Rolexes. I had custom 18k endlinks made for my 1803 that paired well with my Camille Fournet strap.

Me too. Been thinking and toying with the idea of getting a grey Camille Fournet alligator strap for awhile now. Usually I prefer it without endlinks, but I must say, it suits yours very well.
I like to chop and change between leather and the original oyster as makes it feel like a new watch!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any additional backers of the Baltic Watch Kickstarter? Deadline is tomorrow, and I'm still going back and forth . . .

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Guys, was wondering whether anyone can share experiences of wearing a white gold watch, and/or a perpetual calendar watch, as a daily wearer.

Have a chance to pick up an IWC PPC that I've been eyeing for a while at a great price, but as it is 18K white gold case - unclear whether it is practical as a daily wearer. I am in office wear during the week and casual wear (jeans/shorts/tshirts/shirts etc) on weekends. I don't wear a watch to the gym or to sports, but I do travel regularly. I also don't usually rotate watches (and would like to give my current 3777 to my dad if I did pick this up).

Last time I was here, there were a couple of comments about IWC white gold's durability or lack of... the below is a true beauty in my eyes, but if I can't wear it regularly, I can't justify buying it. Thanks!

IWC+Portuguese+Perpetual+Calendar+503203+2.jpg

(Whether I should be spending the price of a small car on a watch is an entirely different matter...)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Any additional backers of the Baltic Watch Kickstarter?

I really do like the way that chrono looks, but there are so many watches at this price point that I don't think I could jump on it. Yes, I'm put off by the Sea-Gull movement: not just because it is what it is, but because an actual Sea-Gull with its actual history, is...actually..cheaper. At this price and quality point, stuff like Vostok is also worth a look, and again, has some character of its own.

There are so many "great value" watch start-ups with cheap movements offering "luxury watches" with "vintage style". To be fair, this is better than most in both the design (of the chrono at least) and the fact that they are mechanical rather than "high quality Swiss movement" (i.e. $30 basic Ronda quartz). But I think they should have been braver and stepped up a notch in quality and price.

Of course, I'm the fool because they've got their money many times over - I can't help wondering who they know at Hodinkee or if there is some other commercial relationship that got them a puff piece in the internet's best watch window. Either way, they win for now.

I don't think this will become an enduring star of the watch firmament, unless or until they go a little more up-market with content and price. I suspect that might be in their plan for phase II, as long as they are not perceived too heavily as a budget Chinese watch. If they can still pull the Hodinkee chain next time, they might just pull it off.

This one's not for me. But it's pretty.

Have a chance to pick up an IWC PPC that I've been eyeing for a while at a great price, but as it is 18K white gold case - unclear whether it is practical as a daily wearer.

You must work at McKinsey...

I am a real sucker for a blue dial, and I think that's gorgeous. But even if I had the money (haven't heard from McKinsey...), I'd have to hold back on that one. I don't wear gold at all myself, but I have a particular downer on white gold: it doesn't look like gold. It doesn't even look shiny unless it's plated with rhodium. And because of that, the plating is prone to wear and chipping and will not last like a solid metal that can be polished. For me, white gold is like fake platinum. There.

Also, the watch itself. I really like the way it looks. But even with a good price, it's going to depreciate like a motherfucker, while being an absolute liability for damage/theft as a daily wear. If it were yellow (proper) or pink (trendy) gold, or big-balls understated platinum, it would still have that problem.

My advice: if you love it, find a used one that some other sucker took the hit on. But white gold still sucks a bit. :)

ebayhtl

Reaction score
I am a real sucker for a blue dial, and I think that's gorgeous. But even if I had the money (haven't heard from McKinsey...), I'd have to hold back on that one. I don't wear gold at all myself, but I have a particular downer on white gold: it doesn't look like gold. It doesn't even look shiny unless it's plated with rhodium. And because of that, the plating is prone to wear and chipping and will not last like a solid metal that can be polished. For me, white gold is like fake platinum. There.

Also, the watch itself. I really like the way it looks. But even with a good price, it's going to depreciate like a motherfucker, while being an absolute liability for damage/theft as a daily wear. If it were yellow (proper) or pink (trendy) gold, or big-balls understated platinum, it would still have that problem.

My advice: if you love it, find a used one that some other sucker took the hit on. But white gold still sucks a bit. :)

Haha not at McKinsey, just happen to know people...

The price is attractive (60+% off) and takes care of the depreciation issue to some degree, but of course it's still a big chunk of money (and there's still the wider issues of spending that much $ on a watch / that WG looks a lot like SS, when SS is a lot cheaper).

Tried on the 5032's successor (5034) today, as below - feels substantial and looks great, but agree with your concerns re: white gold. Members on IWC forum generally agree WG on IWC watches have not been plated since 2002 (they add palladium to the white gold), but I'm not an expert on this - https://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/60067/?page=1#post_439361

I'll give it a bit more thought, thanks for your reply.

IMG_20170517_154546.jpg

Last edited:

benf

Reaction score
Haha not at McKinsey, just happen to know people...

The price is attractive (60+% off) and takes care of the depreciation issue to some degree, but of course it's still a big chunk of money (and there's still the wider issues of spending that much $ on a watch / that WG looks a lot like SS, when SS is a lot cheaper).

Tried on the 5032's successor (5034) today, as below - feels substantial and looks great, but agree with your concerns re: white gold. Members on IWC forum generally agree WG on IWC watches have not been plated since 2002 (they add palladium to the white gold), but I'm not an expert on this - https://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/60067/?page=1#post_439361

I'll give it a bit more thought, thanks for your reply.

View attachment 783331
It's a great looking watch but it's not for me. If I were in the market for a PPC, I'd stick to the top-tier watchmakers. Personally I'm saving for a PP PC. For a similar outlay as you have here, you can get a mint PP annual calendar in WG.

In terms of WG v SS, it feels different on the wrist although only the wearer would notice and appreciate. Same with P v WG. Some people are happy to pay a hefty premium for the former when there's little perceptible difference other than to the wearer.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
...60+% off...not been plated...they add palladium

You know what? I am a jerk. If current retail is about $43k for the new model, then that puts you at about $17k? If that's right, whether the previous or current model, just do it. It looks fantastic. And if it's not going to chip either, all the better! Seriously, that would be a good used price, and there is no way in hell you can find a used PP, VC or Lange PC for even twice that, maybe not three times.

You like it, it's a hot deal, and it's a hot watch. Consider your madness duly enabled.

benand07

Reaction score
Ayone here a fan of vintage Omegas? I've got an Omega Seamaster in steel from the 1950s (non-original buckle and leather strap), which I'm using daily. Might buy a gold (not plated) vintage Omega at a later stage, to use for dressier events. My interest in Omega was sparked when I inherited a beautiful Omega pocket watch and started researching the brand. I wouldn't buy a modern Omega, though.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ayone here a fan of vintage Omegas? I've got an Omega Seamaster in steel from the 1950s (non-original buckle and leather strap), which I'm using daily. Might buy a gold (not plated) vintage Omega at a later stage, to use for dressier events. My interest in Omega was sparked when I inherited a beautiful Omega pocket watch and started researching the brand. I wouldn't buy a modern Omega, though.
Yes, I like Omegas in general but vintage ones have a classic look to them. I have a 1957 Seamaster and a 1930s pocket watch, among others. I also own several modern Omegas. Why would you not buy a modern one?

roomiller

Reaction score
You know what? I am a jerk. If current retail is about $43k for the new model, then that puts you at about $17k? If that's right, whether the previous or current model, just do it. It looks fantastic. And if it's not going to chip either, all the better! Seriously, that would be a good used price, and there is no way in hell you can find a used PP, VC or Lange PC for even twice that, maybe not three times.

You like it, it's a hot deal, and it's a hot watch. Consider your madness duly enabled.

That first post was very unlike you...started to wonder if you were feeling okay. Glad to have you back! :decisions:

I do agree with you regarding the kickstarter. It's a lovely watch, but isn't quite enticing enough. I find the actual Seagull to be quirky and quite fetching, if I were looking for an inexpensive chrono. And its certainly not special enough to warrant the full Hodinkee treatment; there is certainly a some special connection there.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, was wondering whether anyone can share experiences of wearing a white gold watch, and/or a perpetual calendar watch, as a daily wearer.

Have a chance to pick up an IWC PPC that I've been eyeing for a while at a great price, but as it is 18K white gold case - unclear whether it is practical as a daily wearer. I am in office wear during the week and casual wear (jeans/shorts/tshirts/shirts etc) on weekends. I don't wear a watch to the gym or to sports, but I do travel regularly. I also don't usually rotate watches (and would like to give my current 3777 to my dad if I did pick this up).

Last time I was here, there were a couple of comments about IWC white gold's durability or lack of... the below is a true beauty in my eyes, but if I can't wear it regularly, I can't justify buying it. Thanks!

(Whether I should be spending the price of a small car on a watch is an entirely different matter...)

Years ago I owned a white gold Rolex Daytona. However, it just didn't feel any more special or different than my steel Daytonas. Yes, I know some people say, its stealthy luxury, but to me it was just sort of extra money tied up in a watch that didn't look drastically different than the steel model, nor did it feel more special. If one buys platinum, there is a particular heft to it (compared to other metals), there is the rarity and difficulty of working with it, and its very durable...so to me that would help justify its price. If you polish platinum, unlike gold, platinum doesn't loose any metal, while gold does. In the end, after about 6 months I tired of having a white gold watch, and I haven't bought any white gold watches since. If I am buying gold, I will only buy rose gold or yellow gold, if getting a white metal watch, I'd only be interested in steel or platinum.

As for Mimo's concerns about liability/theft...IMHO any pricey watch should be insured. IIRC, someone here had an apartment broken into and had several Panerais and Rolex's stolen.

Many of the Richemont companies, such as Lange and JLC do not plate their white gold, so I'm not surprised to hear IWC isn't plating their watches. Old rhodium plated watches would get chipped, and have to be replated, which was very costly to do...or they would look like sh*t.

I love blue dial watches, and I do think its one of the more attractive IWCs to be offered in recent years. I just don't know that I'd want to tie up $17K in an IWC. However, if it puts a big smile on your face and you think you would enjoy it, then go for it! Good luck with whatever you decide.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do like the way that chrono looks, but there are so many watches at this price point that I don't think I could jump on it. Yes, I'm put off by the Sea-Gull movement: not just because it is what it is, but because an actual Sea-Gull with its actual history, is...actually..cheaper. At this price and quality point, stuff like Vostok is also worth a look, and again, has some character of its own.

There are so many "great value" watch start-ups with cheap movements offering "luxury watches" with "vintage style". To be fair, this is better than most in both the design (of the chrono at least) and the fact that they are mechanical rather than "high quality Swiss movement" (i.e. $30 basic Ronda quartz). But I think they should have been braver and stepped up a notch in quality and price.

Of course, I'm the fool because they've got their money many times over - I can't help wondering who they know at Hodinkee or if there is some other commercial relationship that got them a puff piece in the internet's best watch window. Either way, they win for now.

I don't think this will become an enduring star of the watch firmament, unless or until they go a little more up-market with content and price. I suspect that might be in their plan for phase II, as long as they are not perceived too heavily as a budget Chinese watch. If they can still pull the Hodinkee chain next time, they might just pull it off.

I don't think there is any question that Baltic would have gotten SOME attention without the Hodinkee piece, but that took it to the stratosphere. It does make you wonder. I know most people like Hodinkee, and I do to, but I think they try to present themselves as this independent, straight-talk kind of site and they are anything but that. When have you really ever seen them write something that would be considered a negative review of something from one of the big makers? Sure a comment here and there but rather than give real opinions, good or bad on pieces, they write almost nothing but positive writeups and must have made a decision long ago to not write a review rather than say something negative. In other words, they kiss a lot of ass for access, in my opinion.

The John Mayer writeup on IWC from a while back is really the 1 article that sticks out to me. Rant over.

As for Baltic, I agree they are just one of the better examples of the vintage gravy train currently rolling hard in watch world. I think they look just fine for a $500 mechanical watch. They are banking on the idea no one buying a watch at that price point will care that it's got basically the lowest end movements possible in it. And they are obviously right, given the reaction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads