• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LAluck5

Reaction score
Are any nomos really dress watches? I saw a frederique constant on eBay with a moonphase for less than 1700 usd. Enough left over for a nice dinner with your lady.

For 4K probably could find a reverso or a JLC ultra thin.
No its not necessarily a dress watch, but it is thin enough to wear under a suit. I do want a reverso though. Going to check out JLC soon

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Nomos Orion is a stunning dress watch, and can be had from about $1500-2000 grey, or a grand used.

Agreed. Also the Tetra, which also comes in a larger version now, looks beautiful under a tuxedo cuff.

Nvspwndamnstr39

Reaction score
The Nomos Orion is a stunning dress watch, and can be had from about $1500-2000 grey, or a grand used.

Where are these grey retailers from whom one can reliably purchase full sets of Nomoses? In other words, who is the DavidSW of the Nomos world?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone like Piaget altipno 900p (manual) Didn't think I would like it (asymmetrical everywhere), but somehow keep googling it

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are these grey retailers from whom one can reliably purchase full sets of Nomoses? In other words, who is the DavidSW of the Nomos world?

There are a few sellers on Chrono24 that regularly sell Nomos at 2/3 the retail price with a warranty card from a German AD.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and just some more random thought, what do you guys think of ALS saxonia thin 37mm vs. ALS 1815 (the small second one with number on the hour mark). Ideally I would like a small second <40mm without numbers on the hours mark (guess the closest is JLC MUT small seconds)

manual or auto is less a concern, been wearing my JLC MUT moon for half a year now, the part I find semi annoying is adjusting dates and moon phase (because it require a pusher rather than just turn the crown...)

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here but still loving it just as much after years of ownership.

20170520_111246.jpg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Where are these grey retailers ?

What NewShoes said. There doesn't seem to be much gained from buying used either - new grey prices seem to start around $1500, and you can rarely get more than a couple of hundred off for a used full set. Most of them are German ADs - Chrono24 is originally a German site, so the demographic leans that way anyway.

Anyone like Piaget altipno 900p (manual) Didn't think I would like it (asymmetrical everywhere), but somehow keep googling it

If you can get a good deal then it's certainly interesting. I like it more than the regular Altiplano in Pt; their decision to write "platinum" a hundred times on the dial just baffles me. It does look a bit like a GO Pano, but the case is distinctively Piaget and it's pleasingly nuts. If it sings to you, why not? Only reason I can think of is that the resale will be absolutely stinking, so it had better be a crazy grey market deal.

...ALS saxonia thin 37mm vs. ALS 1815 (the small second one with number on the hour mark).

I personally prefer the 1815 and its typical Lange case shape. But the criteria you've given point to the Saxonia.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can get a good deal then it's certainly interesting. I like it more than the regular Altiplano in Pt; their decision to write "platinum" a hundred times on the dial just baffles me. It does look a bit like a GO Pano, but the case is distinctively Piaget and it's pleasingly nuts. If it sings to you, why not? Only reason I can think of is that the resale will be absolutely stinking, so it had better be a crazy grey market deal.

I personally prefer the 1815 and its typical Lange case shape. But the criteria you've given point to the Saxonia.

Just googled GO Pano, think you're referring to PanoInverse? Do like it as well, though at 42mm it's on the larger side (vs. Piaget manual version any way). yea, resale value will definitely s*ck big time for that particular piaget, oh well, just more thing on the list to narrow down eventually...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not too many Piaget fans here, but I really like them. I don't own, any but I have looked at several versions of Altiplanos. I really like the 900P. I've had an opportunity to try it on in different metals and its truly beautiful watch. I find it's details and design far more attractive than the Panoinverse (Although as other's here know, I've never viewed the Pano line as much more than AL&S's little brother trying to follow in its footsteps).

If you haven't had an opportunity to see one and wind one, you definitely should. If you love it, search for an AD near you who has a nice stock of dress watches. A friend of mine in the industry said, gold dress watches are selling very poorly these days. So who knows, maybe an AD who's been sitting on a lot of stock for a while might be willing to give you a very nice deal on one.

As for resale, yes, its pretty weak when it comes to Piaget. However, unless you are buying a Patek, a Rolex, or a limited edition AP ROO or Jumbo, resale is very weak on a lot of brands. As I've mentioned before, one shop near me said he won't even buy or take anything in trade for his shop that isn't from Rolex, Patek, AP, VC, AL&S, or Cartier (name recognition easy to move). It doesn't mean other brands don't have some great offerings, just maybe that you have to make sure you get a great deal, and/or that it would be a keeper for a very long time so resale isn't going to matter much. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. The Omega Seamaster 300M was my first watch also. Mine was the prior version though with the white dates and wavy dial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads