• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am generally not a fan of two-tone watches. But when I tried the two-tone Explorer I was surprised at how great it was on the wrist.

52603998484_36bc57c228_b.jpg
Yeah, but if you were actually considering this watch, I'd go back to try it again wearing something completely different because you are overtly matchy-matchy with the two-tone in this photo, which might be contributing to your perception of the two-tone feeling more subtle, or correct, or whatever....

pmeis

Reaction score
Yeah, but if you were actually considering this watch, I'd go back to try it again wearing something completely different because you are overtly matchy-matchy with the two-tone in this photo, which might be contributing to your perception of the two-tone feeling more subtle, or correct, or whatever....

It is actually pretty subtle most of the time. Part of it is with the gold being polished, in lots of lighting, it takes on the ambient tones of the room, so often when I look down at it you notice the polished aspects of the center links more than the color of the metal. If anything, bringing in the additional yellow like he's done here makes the color more obvious IMO/E.

I'm not sure if this will effectively illustrate what I'm talking about, but here are a couple of pics that kind of show what I experience. The first one is what it looks like most often to my eyes.
Definitely two-tone, but not so over the top:

This pic makes the gold way more exaggerated than what I normally see:

Keep in mind though, when pics are blown up on a computer screen so that they are 4x the size of the actual object IRL, all of the attributes get blown out of proportion.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is actually pretty subtle most of the time. Part of it is with the gold being polished, in lots of lighting, it takes on the ambient tones of the room, so often when I look down at it you notice the polished aspects of the center links more than the color of the metal. If anything, bringing in the additional yellow like he's done here makes the color more obvious IMO/E.

I'm not sure if this will effectively illustrate what I'm talking about, but here are a couple of pics that kind of show what I experience. The first one is what it looks like most often to my eyes.
Definitely two-tone, but not so over the top:

This pic makes the gold way more exaggerated than what I normally see:

Keep in mind though, when pics are blown up on a computer screen so that they are 4x the size of the actual object IRL, all of the attributes get blown out of proportion.
I'm actually pro two-tone on watches with black dials (or bezels), so you're preaching to the choir. I was just commenting on how, in my own previous experiences, the clothes I'm wearing when trying on a watches sometimes influences my immediate feelings about the watch.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually pro two-tone on watches with black dials (or bezels), so you're preaching to the choir. I was just commenting on how, in my own previous experiences, the clothes I'm wearing when trying on a watches sometimes influences my immediate feelings about the watch.
what I was told by my AD, is to strip off completely when you are trying on a watch, go butt naked and you will immediately know what works best for you.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what I was told by my AD, is to strip off completely when you are trying on a watch, go butt naked and you will immediately know what works best for you.
precisely

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
otoh a lot of the collections here (ostensibly anyways) revolve around activity so wearing upland gear to the rolex boutique makes some sense , this still works for nudity in any case

Axxl

Reaction score
Sorry, Sir. I wasn't aware that only owned watches are allowed in this thread. Just wondered why the brand I mentioned did not get any recognition here, yet. I oblige and promise to do better in the future. Just thought somebody might be interested in niche brand alternatives to RLX, JLC, GP, VC and other well known manufacture calibre manufacturers.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I've always been a big fan of the Reverso. It's really the only watch from JLC that I'd like to own. I saw a blue dial Duetto Tribute the other week and it was beautiful, but I don't like it's thickness. I'd want the monoface version. Anyway, congrats on getting one before the price increase took effect. :cheers:
Do you know if JLC has ever produced a blue mono face without the small second hand. Basically this as a mono face (without the chronograph). I’ve seen a limited edition in green and think that the original came in black.
IMG_2728.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if JLC has ever produced a blue mono face without the small second hand. Basically this as a mono face (without the chronograph). I’ve seen a limited edition in green and think that the original came in black.
View attachment 1967789
No, JLC never produced a monoface in blue without a small seconds subdial. You are correct, they have produced monoface Reversos without small seconds subdials in black, green (which I believe was a limited edition for England and was a solid green not the sunray green dial currently offered), and bright red (another limited edition, with non sunray dial, and not the current sort of wine color dial they currently offer with a small seconds subdial). A friend had the bright red Reverso and found it too "Loud" and difficult to wear except casually. He found it didn't pair well with straps other than the black one it came with, so he sold it.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enough with the Explorer’s. They are bland nothingness! The Time’s is on it…
FE57F760-2C6F-4674-8C69-D941E9F5B5A3.jpeg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you collect or own a pocket sundials? Think this is a collection stream i want to entertain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads