• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I let the Explorer go. I really like it as a sports tool watch and it will definitely be on my list to get in the future but it didn’t speak to me the way the DJ I want does.

I realised buying the Explorer would not bring me as much pleasure as waiting for the DJ and receiving it eventually.

For what it’s worth, my SA had 11 people on the his waitlist for a 36mm Explorer and only 4 for the DJ I want. Thinking this is slightly misleading though, most likely spur of the moment registrations of interest from when it came out. I don’t think they would have let me buy the Explorer if there was actual strong demand.

Shows you what being on the “waitlist” is worth though, huh?

be interesting to see if turning this down has a negative impact on you getting your DJ. Hope not.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shows you what being on the “waitlist” is worth though, huh?

be interesting to see if turning this down has a negative impact on you getting your DJ. Hope not.
Yeah, first come first serve doesn’t really exist I guess.

I think he got my reasoning and we’ve already established good rapport so it didn’t feel like it would hurt me. I actually saw the proverbial list, there were two people ahead of me in there for the DJ but I was told since no one has bothered to keep up a relationship and I’ve been the only one showing continued interest, any watch that comes in will go to me first.

Hoping it turns out that way.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Found this article about former President Sarkozy (today very close to Macron) from the Daily Mail interesting, even if it is old (2009)

Extracts.

Sarkozy: A man desperate to be Steve McQueen, but who's more like a poor man's Fonz…
Bling, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, so when France's President, Nicolas Sarkozy, stepped out in his mirror Ray-Ban sunglasses and chunky new Rolex watch, the world gasped.

Not in admiration, mind you. More in sheer disbelief that the President of what is commonly regarded as one of the most stylish countries on earth can look so — well, pardon my schoolgirl French — so, sacre bling!

The vulgarity is so vile, the ostentation so audacious, that Sarkozy's image advisers have been urgently called.

In an attempt to restore a little dignity to the man his own people have dubbed President Bling-Bling on account of his love of expensive, tasteless baubles, aides at the Elysee Palace have issued him with a list of instructions..

They have banned the Ray-Bans and chucked the Rolex, and told him neither to give interviews in his jogging shorts nor send text-messages during top-level meetings.
Poor little Sarkozy — the man whose ex-wife, Cecilia, accused him of having the husbandly skills of a gnat, the fidelity of a footballer and the grace of a garden gnome — is clearly in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

So much bling, so little time — he wants to wear it all at once.

This urge for men, especially those from humble beginnings, to flash their wealth is not uncommon.

Sarkozy was not born to power. The son of a Hungarian immigrant father, he was raised alone in France by his mother.

At 53 years old and about as many inches tall, the Napoleon complex runs deep and he's clearly overcompensating.

Or, if he wants to look like Steve McQueen, he should get a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers and match them with a vintage Rolex Daytona, the classic cool watch worn by McQueen and Paul Newman when they were motor-racing.

Or he might want to splash out on the piece de resistance, the 1968 Rolex Explorer.

They were only made in the late 1960s and cost around £20,000, but boy, that's a watch fit for a President.

And the reason I know so much about bling? As I sit here, I am wearing a 20-year-old Oyster Rolex — you know, the gold and platinum one we all drooled over in the Yuppie boom when they started building Canary Wharf in London's Docklands, and we discovered minimalist architecture and maximum expenditure.
Back in the Eighties, what we bought wasn't called bling, it was just ostentatious consumerism. We were the new nouveaux riches and proud of it.

And the extraordinary thing is that today, all those things we bought in the boom years are borderline tasteful — they're not quite vintage, but with the advantage of age, the edges have softened.

If you are so inclined, as Sarkozy clearly is, you can do a bit of bling. But only a bit — the key is to be discreet.
But discretion is something Sarkozy simply doesn't understand.

But then, as I've said, there's more than a hint of poor boy made good about middle-aged blingers.

It's the great tragedy for most of us that by the time we can afford to buy the things we really love, we're too old to wear them or drive them.

Hence the value of vintage. An old Rolex looks fabulous on a middle-aged wrist because it looks as if you bought it at the right time in your life. A 1958 Porsche 356 Speedster looks perfect on a bloke pushing 50.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this article about former President Sarkozy (today very close to Macron) from the Daily Mail interesting, even if it is old (2009)

Extracts.

Sarkozy: A man desperate to be Steve McQueen, but who's more like a poor man's Fonz…
Bling, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, so when France's President, Nicolas Sarkozy, stepped out in his mirror Ray-Ban sunglasses and chunky new Rolex watch, the world gasped.

Not in admiration, mind you. More in sheer disbelief that the President of what is commonly regarded as one of the most stylish countries on earth can look so — well, pardon my schoolgirl French — so, sacre bling!

The vulgarity is so vile, the ostentation so audacious, that Sarkozy's image advisers have been urgently called.

In an attempt to restore a little dignity to the man his own people have dubbed President Bling-Bling on account of his love of expensive, tasteless baubles, aides at the Elysee Palace have issued him with a list of instructions..

They have banned the Ray-Bans and chucked the Rolex, and told him neither to give interviews in his jogging shorts nor send text-messages during top-level meetings.
Poor little Sarkozy — the man whose ex-wife, Cecilia, accused him of having the husbandly skills of a gnat, the fidelity of a footballer and the grace of a garden gnome — is clearly in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

This urge for men, especially those from humble beginnings, to flash their wealth is not uncommon.

Sarkozy was not born to power. The son of a Hungarian immigrant father, he was raised alone in France by his mother.

At 53 years old and about as many inches tall, the Napoleon complex runs deep and he's clearly overcompensating.

Or, if he wants to look like Steve McQueen, he should get a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers and match them with a vintage Rolex Daytona, the classic cool watch worn by McQueen and Paul Newman when they were motor-racing.

Or he might want to splash out on the piece de resistance, the 1968 Rolex Explorer.

They were only made in the late 1960s and cost around £20,000, but boy, that's a watch fit for a President.

And the reason I know so much about bling? As I sit here, I am wearing a 20-year-old Oyster Rolex — you know, the gold and platinum one we all drooled over in the Yuppie boom when they started building Canary Wharf in London's Docklands, and we discovered minimalist architecture and maximum expenditure.
Back in the Eighties, what we bought wasn't called bling, it was just ostentatious consumerism. We were the new nouveaux riches and proud of it.

And the extraordinary thing is that today, all those things we bought in the boom years are borderline tasteful — they're not quite vintage, but with the advantage of age, the edges have softened.

If you are so inclined, as Sarkozy clearly is, you can do a bit of bling. But only a bit — the key is to be discreet.

But then, as I've said, there's more than a hint of poor boy made good about middle-aged blingers.

It's the great tragedy for most of us that by the time we can afford to buy the things we really love, we're too old to wear them or drive them.

Hence the value of vintage. An old Rolex looks fabulous on a middle-aged wrist because it looks as if you bought it at the right time in your life. A 1958 Porsche 356 Speedster looks perfect on a bloke pushing 50.

"And the reason I know so much about bling? As I sit here, I am wearing a 20-year-old Oyster Rolex — you know, the gold and platinum one we all drooled over in the Yuppie boom..."

"...Hence the value of vintage. An old Rolex looks fabulous on a middle-aged wrist because it looks as if you bought it at the right time in your life...."

Wow...this is a next-level cynical/snobbish take. Come for the Sarkozy jokes, but stay for the self-owning projections...haha...

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my brother’s BB58 today to see what the hype is about

E33B90F0-16C5-45EC-AF3D-C1DDB099378E.jpeg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like it? Not sure I love the jubilee on a watch like that but it is still a winner for me at least in photos.
It does nothing for me emotionally but I’m wearing it today to see if it grows on me.
He ordered the uncle seiko half link for the stock bracelet to get it to fit right and says it worked well but that this is also way more comfortable. I agree it’s very comfortable.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting over jet lag, 5 days in Royal Hotel Sanremo. Highest concentration of Rolex I’ve seen anywhere. About 50% of the watches I spotted on guest, were Rolex. Maybe more.

Lots of datejust new and old. Hand full of Daytonas from classic to rose gold and gold with black strap.
Yachtmasters gold and a couple of reg.
Very little subs.
60/40 split men and women.

Crowd 90% Italian or French .
Highlight 70 or so French guy with stretched out bracelet platinum Day/ Date. You can’t buy cool.

Below 3 places in town that carry Rolex. One authorized, the other two not.

Have crossed the border into Cannes. Next pics in a few days.

66B5F861-7EDC-40DD-AA47-305CAFF5553C.jpeg
D3BD253C-4B4A-4A5B-B7B1-7881D32C47A0.jpeg

0383F415-A12C-405E-82AD-00F8B32458D2.jpeg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Extracts.

The Daily Mail is a ******* **** rag. Inaccurate, bigoted, racist, xenophobic shite.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Daily Mail is a ******* **** rag. Inaccurate, bigoted, racist, xenophobic shite.

LOL. am55 would never make such a blunder. He’d post the same article in French and the thread would think it’s poetry. Now Clouseau is a bigot for posting something the Richemont trash on this thread can read. Clouseau, お疲れ様でした!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur