• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Nomos is not for everyone. My wife for example finds nothing appealing about it - she only wears Rolex and Cartier. But it does go well in a more modern suit (not the flannel or stripes with peak lapels type), along with shorts and a pair of sneakers.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is only tangentially related, but I absolutely understand that sentiment. I've been in two different flats while in London. The first was this ultra-modern apartment in a new high-rise. Simple and elegant furniture. Tons of really nice, high-end touches. I lived there for 10 weeks and it never fully felt like home; it was too sterile to inspire feelings of comfort. 

I moved into my new place with these beautiful antique windows, exposed brick wall, a leather couch, and some big plants in the living room - it felt comfortable before I had even unpacked.

+1 I feel the same toward architecture and home aesthetics.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked out this thread in a while but the Nomos conversation is an interesting one. I fell in love with the Ahoi Atlantik shortly after it came out. The design was so minimal and sparse yet it grabbed my attention. On the wrist it was a different story though. It just felt cold (for lack of a better word) and I never connected with it so ended up selling it pretty quickly. The design of the lugs made it a bit difficult to wear for me as well so that may have contributed to my decision. That said, I've been tempted to dip my foot back into the Nomos world on more than one occasion but with one of the smaller Metro or Club pieces this time around.

My dearly departed Ahoi:

I'm sticking with the Germans today though and wearing my blue-faced Sinn 103:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are (sort of) on vintage watches, thought I would share a pic of my Roamer Searock from the '70s. It runs very accurately especially for a 40yo watch; I later discovered it actually has an in-house day-date movement (which is good, I suppose, because it's different and interesting, but also bad because parts are a PITA to source...)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I can understand the ambivalence about Nomos, simply because the Bauhaus aesthetic is so minimal and cold by definition. Where they've added some whimsical extras, as above, or simplified something complicated like the world timer, I guess they hit the spot with more people by getting the best of both worlds.

But having seen a few on the wrist now, the big differentiation for me is the case shapes. The more quirky models have flat-sided cases, and a lot of Nomos models have quite long and prominent lugs. It gives them quite a utilitarian feel that perhaps distances them from other "luxury" brands.

For me, the clear winner conceptually, and on the wrist, is when they do what they started with: unapologetic high-quality Bauhaus simplicity. The standard size (35mm) Orion wears a little larger with its long lugs, but its beautiful case shape is magically ergonomic. Sure, if that aesthetic doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. But of all of them this is the one that to me feels the most perfectly executed by sticking unashamedly to the original design ideal. I already have a watch that size and that I wear in a similar way (my display pic), with sentimental value. But I have a feeling that there is an Orion in my future at some point regardless.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just fun, a electronically-minded friend of mine recently acquired this fine late-sixties Patek timepiece, with bonus atomic word clock.

Holy cråp, is that ever awesome! :slayer:

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
:rotflmao:

oldschoolcool

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time posting in this thread. There are some very beautiful timepieces! Here are two of my favourites from my small collection:

1962 Omega Constellation

1962 Omega Cal. 268 heirloom watch. I inherited this watch from my late grandfather and had it profesionally restored:

roomiller

Reaction score
Beautiful watches! I love vintage Omegas!

Has anyone else read the lastest Hodinkee piece? I'm certainly not an experienced watch collector but I feel he makes some valid points, with a couple of strawmen to pad out the list. He was also a little snobbish/aggressive at some points, such as this bit "Get it right, people, otherwise you'll really look silly in front of serious watch folks."

I found #2 about Rolexes to be funny and timely, as cchen and I discussed this exact thing the other day when we met up to discuss his BLNR. When you learn just a little bit about watches, you sort of scoff at Rolex, thinking of it as the brand for people who want an expensive watch but don't actually know anything about watches. But then you learn a little more, see some more pictures on the forums, and become completely enamored with them. It's a fairly interesting phenomenon.

And here is the obligatory watch photo:

ultramantaro

Reaction score
A lot of opinions are shoved into that Hondinkee article. Rolex does stand out because of the established stereotype:

1 - A non watch enthusiast would associate that as the king of watches
2 - Ever after these become watch enthusiast they scoff at Rolex for having little complications, etc.
3 - Until they realize their GP, JLC just won't hold a candle to Rolex's resale value

I own a Milgauss, and I feel it's substantial enough to last through (God forbid) air raids. But yes, before I bought the Milgauss I scoffed at Rolexes. No moonphase? No small seconds hand??? etc

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazer623