1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tricky

tricky Senior member

I kid you not, I've double tapped pics on this forum while scrolling on my phone. Definitely spend too much time on IG.

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

[​IMG]

Read the news yesterday that Rolex tightened up their timing standards for the entire line

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-extends-stringent-in-house-tests/

So I checked the recent Daytona purchase and low and behold, boom, tighter standards without even knowing it.

Denoted by the new green tag (that I should have noticed was different)

Gotta give Rolex credit, another evolutionary improvement implemented without a big fanfare.

2 people like this.
  3. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Bought a cool Journe yesterday. I'll put up pics on Tuesday

5 people like this.
  4. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

excited to see!

5. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Family shot with a couple of the wife's watches for the new thread.
    [​IMG]
    Stories:
    Celadons on right were a gift I got for my wife and I. I just really loved the case shape and dial design for a simple dress watch. For the price it was a great way to get my wife in to mechanical watches.
    Nomos Orion on left is the 2nd mechanical watch for my wife, and one she was drawn to and picked out on her own while I was picking up the Speedy. Might be the best bang for you buck watch out there and is a beautiful watch regardless of price. You don't see it off her wrist much.
    Nomos Welzeit. I was between this and a JLC Master Geo for a travel watch. I just thought the Nomos presented the better and more unique/clever design. Also, changing time zones was a much more enjoyable feel side by side on the Nomos.
    Stowa MO in the back. The first and only watch my wife has bought for me. She did a great job, and it's really a quality watch at that price point.
    Speedy Pro in the middle. My best work experience was going down and doing some work for NASA and I always wanted a Speedy from that point forward. I also used it to time my wife's labor and birth of our first child. This will be handed down to her at some point as I've used to basically time everything you could think of for her in the past 4 months.

6 people like this.
  6. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Ah, I see. Never been to the Gulf, would love to visit one day. Meanwhile, "Muscat time" sounds like something that should happen in a bar!

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Hey dudes. Nice new thread you got here.

Confession time —I'm starting to think that I may have too many watches:

[​IMG]

There's also a GMT II on permanent loan to my dad, an extra OP and OQ, plus a bunch of others that I don't get around to wearing much. But for now let's just focus on the pictured ones.

I should probably cut back to about three, which is still probably excessive, but the problem is that I really like all of 'em for various reasons. The Deepsea is still unworn and is an easy choice to get rid of, even though I'm actually starting to dig it, but i wear the rest about equally and it's tough to choose among them.

Now a normal person might say: "What the hell do you need that many watches for? Just pick something and sell the rest; they all look the same, anyway."

However, every watch person knows that's a ridiculous idea. It's near-impossible to cut back to a single one once you're hooked. And it's nice to have just the right thing, which is how this stuff starts.

So any thoughts from fellow watch addicts on what you'd keep/ditch and why? I don't normally ask dumbass questions like this, but it's a new thread and I figured: "Why not?"

PS: Farewell, old watch appreciation thread. May your near-decade of accumulated knowledge live on to enlighten future generations and keep them safe from crappy watches.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    6 people like this.
  8. dcg

dcg Senior member

Reposting from previous TWAT:

Question for the Rolex experts - just took delivery of a U-serial 16600 with a T<25 dial. Placed it under my iphone flashlight, and was surprised to see it glow brightly after a minute or two.

I've seen posts indicating that the light might just be activating the phosphorescent paint. Gave the watch a minute or two of the flashlight and set it in the dark - significantly darker after 10 minutes, and fairly hard to see after 20 (compared to my ~3 year old Speedmaster that I'm using as a Superluminova control).

Would this suggest a tritium dial, or just an older luminova dial that's lost some of its staying power?

Pics to come...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

If it has a T on the dial, then it has Tritium.​

This was my initial understanding, but I've seen it suggested that there are some T dials during the transition period (1998) that were luminova. The supposition being that Rolex had a few T dials left over when they started using luminova.

Pic:

[​IMG]

9. eton97

eton97 Senior member

My current line up;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And hoping to hear some opinions. I'm struggling to know which way to go.....steel or leather?

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

love it! But ever thought to diversify the collection from Rolex?

11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

He has others, including a lovely GP chrono in a cushion case, but this question was specific to his Rolex collection.

12. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

Interesting. Lagging Rolex deliveries resulted me getting the new 5 year warranty but didn't realize reading the Hodinkee article that I also got the green tag. Had to check, so apparently a double-whammy here, too. Does run pretty accurately, though.

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'd keep:

Sea Dweller
    Daytona
    Oysterquartz
    GMT Master

I could come up with a whole bunch of solid reasons why I'd do so, but TBH it all comes down to "I like the way they look" and "there's no overlap that way".

5 people like this.
  14. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

100% agreed with Apropos. My rational is personal preference plus differentiation.

1 person likes this.
  15. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

[​IMG]

Thought I'd take a quick version of those CM style watch/shoe/sock whatever pics for the new thread. Except wearing SW&D.

7 people like this.
  17. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Cyc, when you picked up your Pepsi it made me rethink where I was going with my next watch purchase. Looks great.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

'

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. robw

robw Senior member

Nice job mimo on the faqs and starting this new thread. I was mostly a lurker but occasionally a poster on the old thread. Anyway here is my contribution to keep this going. Random wrist shot taken yesterday. [​IMG]

20. tricky

tricky Senior member

Amazing collection. I'd keep the Daytona, GMT, Sub and a Quartz.

1 person likes this.