• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

michaelvl

Reaction score
My current watches, hoping to add a 15202ST, might have to trade the PAM to make that happen:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just trying on a Bulgari Octo chrono. Should I feel guilty for liking the Octo? And has anyone tried the slim platinum one?
Very nice job with the FAQs !

Yes, Mrs. Dino wanted to look in Bvlgari when we were in NYC last spring. So while she looked at some merchandise I tried on the slim platinum Octo and a retrograde model. I really liked the platinum one when it was on my wrist. Very elegant, nicely finished and the angled lugs were very cool. Its not a watch that in the case spoke to me, but on my wrist it really did come to life. Maybe for $10-15K it would be something to consider. However, its just too much money to put into a Bvlgari/Genta watch. Before Bvlgari renamed the watches taking the Genta name off , I saw lots of brand new highly complicated Genta models (in the Octa cases) selling at fire sale prices. The AD couldn't give the stuff away. So you either have to buy it at an amazing price or with the mind set its a keeper because it would be tough to resell if you tire of it.

Here is a photo Mrs. Dino took while I tried them on at the boutique. Cheers and again great job on the FAQ section!

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just posting in this thread to subscribe!

As a side note, I was wondering why (in the FAQ) you spelled Söhne with an "e" (Soehne) and Glasshütte with an "e" too (Glasshuette). I'm guessing it's because you don't have the diaeresis (trema) on your keyboard?

On the respective manufacturers website, they state their brand name with the trema but their website URL is displayed with an "e" instead of the trema. I'm guessing this is because no trema are displayed on URL adresses.

Just an honest interrogation.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Folks are queer.

Also, pictures without comments are boring. This is a forum, not Instagram. :p

Nice selection to start the new thread though, and win for the Speedy Appreciation Club!

I kid you not, I've double tapped pics on this forum while scrolling on my phone. Definitely spend too much time on IG.

tigerpac

Reaction score

Read the news yesterday that Rolex tightened up their timing standards for the entire line

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-extends-stringent-in-house-tests/

So I checked the recent Daytona purchase and low and behold, boom, tighter standards without even knowing it.

Denoted by the new green tag (that I should have noticed was different)

Gotta give Rolex credit, another evolutionary improvement implemented without a big fanfare.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Family shot with a couple of the wife's watches for the new thread.

Stories:
Celadons on right were a gift I got for my wife and I. I just really loved the case shape and dial design for a simple dress watch. For the price it was a great way to get my wife in to mechanical watches.
Nomos Orion on left is the 2nd mechanical watch for my wife, and one she was drawn to and picked out on her own while I was picking up the Speedy. Might be the best bang for you buck watch out there and is a beautiful watch regardless of price. You don't see it off her wrist much.
Nomos Welzeit. I was between this and a JLC Master Geo for a travel watch. I just thought the Nomos presented the better and more unique/clever design. Also, changing time zones was a much more enjoyable feel side by side on the Nomos.
Stowa MO in the back. The first and only watch my wife has bought for me. She did a great job, and it's really a quality watch at that price point.
Speedy Pro in the middle. My best work experience was going down and doing some work for NASA and I always wanted a Speedy from that point forward. I also used it to time my wife's labor and birth of our first child. This will be handed down to her at some point as I've used to basically time everything you could think of for her in the past 4 months.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy, I was on Muscat time at 0800ish, now briefly on Doha time, and back to UK time in a few hours.

Just trying on a Bulgari Octo chrono. Should I feel guilty for liking the Octo? And has anyone tried the slim platinum one?

Ah, I see. Never been to the Gulf, would love to visit one day. Meanwhile, "Muscat time" sounds like something that should happen in a bar!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes. Nice new thread you got here.

Confession time —I'm starting to think that I may have too many watches:

image.jpg

There's also a GMT II on permanent loan to my dad, an extra OP and OQ, plus a bunch of others that I don't get around to wearing much. But for now let's just focus on the pictured ones.

I should probably cut back to about three, which is still probably excessive, but the problem is that I really like all of 'em for various reasons. The Deepsea is still unworn and is an easy choice to get rid of, even though I'm actually starting to dig it, but i wear the rest about equally and it's tough to choose among them.

Now a normal person might say: "What the hell do you need that many watches for? Just pick something and sell the rest; they all look the same, anyway."

However, every watch person knows that's a ridiculous idea. It's near-impossible to cut back to a single one once you're hooked. And it's nice to have just the right thing, which is how this stuff starts.

So any thoughts from fellow watch addicts on what you'd keep/ditch and why? I don't normally ask dumbass questions like this, but it's a new thread and I figured: "Why not?"

PS: Farewell, old watch appreciation thread. May your near-decade of accumulated knowledge live on to enlighten future generations and keep them safe from crappy watches.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reposting from previous TWAT:

Question for the Rolex experts - just took delivery of a U-serial 16600 with a T<25 dial. Placed it under my iphone flashlight, and was surprised to see it glow brightly after a minute or two.

I've seen posts indicating that the light might just be activating the phosphorescent paint. Gave the watch a minute or two of the flashlight and set it in the dark - significantly darker after 10 minutes, and fairly hard to see after 20 (compared to my ~3 year old Speedmaster that I'm using as a Superluminova control).

Would this suggest a tritium dial, or just an older luminova dial that's lost some of its staying power?

Pics to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

If it has a T on the dial, then it has Tritium.​

This was my initial understanding, but I've seen it suggested that there are some T dials during the transition period (1998) that were luminova. The supposition being that Rolex had a few T dials left over when they started using luminova.

Pic:

OmarDubaibanker

Reaction score

Hey dudes. Nice new thread you got here.

Confession time —I'm starting to think that I may have too many watches:

image.jpg

There's also a GMT II on permanent loan to my dad, an extra OP and OQ, plus a bunch of others that I don't get around to wearing much. But for now let's just focus on the pictured ones.

I should probably cut back to about three, which is still probably excessive, but the problem is that I really like all of 'em for various reasons. The Deepsea is still unworn and is an easy choice to get rid of, even though I'm actually starting to dig it, but i wear the rest about equally and it's tough to choose among them.

Now a normal person might say: "What the hell do you need that many watches for? Just pick something and sell the rest; they all look the same, anyway."

However, every watch person knows that's a ridiculous idea. It's near-impossible to cut back to a single one once you're hooked. And it's nice to have just the right thing, which is how this stuff starts.

So any thoughts from fellow watch addicts on what you'd keep/ditch and why? I don't normally ask dumbass questions like this, but it's a new thread and I figured: "Why not?"

PS: Farewell, old watch appreciation thread. May your near-decade of accumulated knowledge live on to enlighten future generations and keep them safe from crappy watches.
love it! But ever thought to diversify the collection from Rolex?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads