• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, from what I understand, at least for Hermes...the appointment requirement has increased their business tremendously. Potential purchasers, at least women who are regular big shoppers with them are concerned about not being able to get into the store for a few more weeks if appointments are booked up in advance. So rather than think about potential purchases and coming back anther time, they just buy it. In addition, they are concerned certain items they like might be sold out by the time they get back into the store, so again they buy extra if its makeup or perfume, or they need a gift for someone in the near future etc.
That's pretty interesting. It's like a forced or artificial FOMO.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Ambulance Chaser - look forward to seeing your pictures, and hearing your impressions!

@TheFoo - I know this advice is going to go nowhere, but I really, really wouldn't screw with it. I mean, we have seen the picture:

View attachment 1598440

And this is highly, highly trivial. At this point, this watch is yours, and you can point to this "fault" and say, maybe with a chuckle, that I made a mistake in overpolishing. This watch is going to get more and more beat down over time, as it should be, and this is just another part of its life.

Out of curiosity, how much is this "repair" going to run you?
More worried about the nails. . .

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that the Hermès appointment requirement is because of COVID. The page for the DC store states, "The Hermès Washington D.C. store is now open by appointment only." In any event, I e-mailed the contact mentioned on the pre-recorded message I got when I called, and she e-mailed me back 20 minutes later with my requested appointment time (Saturday morning). So it wasn't a big deal.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that the Hermès appointment requirement is because of COVID. The page for the DC store states, "The Hermès Washington D.C. store is now open by appointment only." In any event, I e-mailed the contact mentioned on the pre-recorded message I got when I called, and she e-mailed me back 20 minutes later with my requested appointment time (Saturday morning). So it wasn't a big deal.
I find it hard to believe that Hermes, Cartier, and Van Cleef are just jam packed with appointments all weekend. Especially now since it's been a year since initial lockdowns.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Hermes, Cartier, and Van Cleef are just jam packed with appointments all weekend. Especially now since it's been a year since initial lockdowns.

30 second search ...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 second search ...

I don't doubt people are buying since there's a bunch of money that normally would've been spent on going out to eat or traveling now being spent on luxury goods. I just don't think that getting an appointment on a Saturday to come in and buy **** is that hard.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, all three started with appointments because of Covid.

My co-worker's neighbor/friend works at Hermes. She said they have never been busier. She was the one who explained why they are so busy. Even on her days off she is fielding calls from clients for the items they want to purchase. In addition, each time I've been to Cartier in the last few months, there are always people in the waiting area, waiting to be helped by an SA. Don't get me wrong, my SA's at each offered to squeeze me in between appointments when I contacted them with only about 48 hours notice, but both of them are quite busy from what I've seen. In addition, prior to Covid on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the Cartier boutique would be a mob scene with large groups of people waiting to be helped.

Edit- I can't comment about the Van Cleef boutique near me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Ambulance Chaser - look forward to seeing your pictures, and hearing your impressions!

@TheFoo - I know this advice is going to go nowhere, but I really, really wouldn't screw with it. I mean, we have seen the picture:

View attachment 1598440

And this is highly, highly trivial. At this point, this watch is yours, and you can point to this "fault" and say, maybe with a chuckle, that I made a mistake in overpolishing. This watch is going to get more and more beat down over time, as it should be, and this is just another part of its life.

Out of curiosity, how much is this "repair" going to run you?

The cost would likely be $1000+.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels are also making people do this.

However, from what I understand, at least for Hermes...the appointment requirement has increased their business tremendously. Potential purchasers, at least women who are regular big shoppers with them are concerned about not being able to get into the store for a few more weeks if appointments are booked up in advance. So rather than think about potential purchases and coming back anther time, they just buy it. In addition, they are concerned certain items they like might be sold out by the time they get back into the store, so again they buy extra if its makeup or perfume, or they need a gift for someone in the near future etc. Not sure if it is working as well for Cartier or Van Cleef.

not to mention that if you’re going through the trouble of making an appointment, you’re likely a serious buyer as opposed to window shoppers. If they have capacity limits, you want at least people who are buying.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My co-worker's neighbor/friend works at Hermes. She said they have never been busier. She was the one who explained why they are so busy. In addition, each time I've been to Cartier in the last few months, there are always people in the waiting area, waiting to be helped by an SA. Don't get me wrong, my SA's at each offered to squeeze me in between appointments when I contacted them with only about 48 hours notice, but both of them are quite busy from what I've seen. In addition, prior to Covid on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the Cartier boutique would be a mob scene with large groups of people waiting to be helped.

Edit- I can't comment about the Van Cleef boutique near me.
Pre C19, the Cartier, Hermes, VCA boutiques in Houston would always be empty or have just a handful of customers. The shopping center where they're all located (including John Lobb) is normally always empty except for people watching movies at the iPic theater or dining at the restaurants in that area. Even now, it's the same. Empty stores except the restaurants.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to mention that if you’re going through the trouble of making an appointment, you’re likely a serious buyer as opposed to window shoppers. If they have capacity limits, you want at least people who are buying.

Plus some people going in will feel guilty about taking up an SA's time and not buying anything. So they are getting more actually purchasers rather than just people who come in to look around, try things on, and then want to think about it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre C19, the Cartier, Hermes, VCA boutiques in Houston would always be empty or have just a handful of customers. The shopping center where they're all located (including John Lobb) is normally always empty except for people watching movies at the iPic theater or dining at the restaurants in that area. Even now, it's the same. Empty stores except the restaurants.

I guess its a very different environment where you are compared to my region.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this the Galleria in Houston? That’s really weird.

Pre Covid, we went to Hudson Yards to climb the Vessel. Afterward we went into the shopping mall and felt the same way. The food court was packed but the high end stores were virtually empty.

Went into Watches of Switzerland and the first thing the SA does is look at my wrist.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the Galleria in Houston? That’s really weird.

Pre Covid, we went to Hudson Yards to climb the Vessel. Afterward we went into the shopping mall and felt the same way. The food court was packed but the high end stores were virtually empty.

Went into Watches of Switzerland and the first thing the SA does is look at my wrist.
River Oaks Shopping District. A lot of high end boutiques are located there including John Lobb, Moncler, Kiton, the only Patek AD in Houston, Hermes, Cartier, and VCA.

I went to Hudson Yards literally right before C19 during the weekend of Mar 13- Mar 15. Best NYC trip ever because everything was empty so there was no wait for anything. The market place in Hudson Yards was a ghost town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads